2021 Coaching Carousel

So a lot of talk about who we want.  Who we won't get.    BUT what about when we will get them?  Will there be an announcement after we beat Iowa on Friday?  I'd assume ASAP to allow them to go out and contact potential recruits and before the early signing period.  Maybe a big name hire or 4 would get use some traction/interest.

The day is January 1st, 2022 and CFB coaches include..

Florida - Napier
LSU - Aranda
TCU - Dykes 
USC - Moorehead
Virginia Tech - Chadwell
Washington - Deboer
Washington State - Jay Norvell

Baylor - Jeff Grimes

Coaches Staying Put

Ole Miss - Kiffin (program “fit” - been at USC, UF values Napier over Kiffin, and LSU won’t accept Kiffin - everything else is lateral) 

ISU - Campbell (waiting for the next round… MSU, PSU, other high profile midwest jobs won’t end up opening this cycle)

Cincy - Fickell waiting for the big one (PSU, OSU, Michigan, ND) and apparently didn’t like working with Bohn at Cincy (now AD at USC)
MSU - Tucker (extension)

PSU - Franklin (extension)

OU - Riley (extension)

For as quickly as we have seen ADs fire coaches, also will be a market overreaction to retaining coaches with big extensions.

A lot of good candidates will be around with more data points in the 2022 cycle.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Please explain your thoughts on this more 

Just the idea that every year we see “high-profile” jobs opening up. As these jobs open up, ADs will have more data to review on young coaches to determine if they are true program builders vs catching lightening in a bottle. I’m specifically talking about Campbell, Fickell, Kiffin. 

Matt Campbell - Been on the rise, so how does he bounce back after a down year? Losing some key pieces, how has he positioned the team for the next run of success? 

Luke Fickell - how does he handle not having his QB return (Desmond Ridder) / can he recruit depth necessary to build and sustain a program. Reached the top, damn near CFP, but how does he sustain it? — Think CP at Boise State

Lane Kiffin - again, how does he handle the program building that is necessary when you lose top talent (Matt Corral at QB), has he really matured, etc.

I believe two things can be true at the same time.. 1. Coaches are becoming more picky when they make the jump to the high-profile jobs.. (See Napier passing last year on Auburn, South Carolina, etc) and 2. At the same time, programs are becoming more cautious at taking a swing and miss too soon on up and coming coaches. 

I am of the belief that the landscape of hiring coaches is changing. To lock in coaches, we are seeing longer (and bigger) deals so these high-profile openings will want to see a proven track record of growth, success, and SUSTAINABILITY within the programs these younger coaches are building. It’s why we see programs starting to throw massive extensions at current coaches or massive money (Jimbo at Texas AM, reported offers to Riley by LSU, etc) to proven coaches.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Not a bad list and I could see many of those.  I don't see Moorehead at USC.  And I don't see Norvell at Wazzou.  I think Franklin has been overrated and his inflated stock has come back down and he will remain at PSU (unless USC overpays for him).  Those others could work.  

The Moorehead guess is more resting in the idea that someone ends up disappointed in every search, especially when this many major players are at the table.

18 hours ago, lo country said:

So a lot of talk about who we want.  Who we won't get.    BUT what about when we will get them?  Will there be an announcement after we beat Iowa on Friday?  I'd assume ASAP to allow them to go out and contact potential recruits and before the early signing period.  Maybe a big name hire or 4 would get use some traction/interest.

I would like to see it before the game on Friday. I think it would motivate the guys coming back next year to play hard in order to look good for the new guy coming in. But then again I might be crazy.

• Plus1 1

One more week until we see rumors of coaches pretending to be interested in the Nebraska (and other school's) openings ONLY so they can negotiate a raise from their current gigs! The longer this drags out past next weekend/Monday/Tuesday, the worse I will feel about Nebraska's prospects. If we have an OC target and the interest is honest and reciprocal, then I hope we/they are filling out the assistant spots in short order.

• Plus1 2

Just now, Husker1994 said:

Smoke picking up on Fickell staying put. 

825310FB-07D5-458D-BC21-85E990EA4E17.jpeg

This is what I've been saying, Fickel and Campbell have it made. Low expectations at a school that will name the stadium after them if they have long term success. 

Why give up stability and job security for a job that will kick you to the curb in 2-4 years leaving you needing to rehab your image as a coach.

They are already making millions, more than anyone could spend in a year. Whats 1 more million a year if it leaves them out of work?

• Oh Yeah! 1
1 minute ago, Born N Bled Red said:

This is what I've been saying, Fickel and Campbell have it made. Low expectations at a school that will name the stadium after them if they have long term success. 

Why give up stability and job security for a job that will kick you to the curb in 2-4 years leaving you needing to rehab your image as a coach.

They are already making millions, more than anyone could spend in a year. Whats 1 more million a year if it leaves them out of work?

And, that's why Fitz has never left Northwestern.

Which, also explains why a program that is constantly firing coaches....can have a harder time hiring a really good coach.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

And, that's why Fitz has never left Northwestern.

Which, also explains why a program that is constantly firing coaches....can have a harder time hiring a really good coach.

Yeah, Fitz is over $5 million annually now and Northwestern has a commitment of close to $500 million, part of which will renovate the football facilities.

• Plus1 1