2021 Coaching Carousel

55 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Sour grapes. Riley took a strong OU program and kept it strong and relevant. He had multiple Heisman trophy winners, top rankings, championships, and playoff appearances. If it was so easy why has NO ONE come close to this since Solich left NU?  

Solich didn’t leave willingly. Stoops retired. It’s very different. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

If we are prepared to spend significant money on new facilities, it is only logical to assume that the same program would put significant money on the table for a proven, successful Power 5 coach.

One would think.  However, it would be something NU has never done.  Money talks, but many seem to think most "proven" P5 coaches would consider NU a lateral move at best.  Maybe Trev and the new facility changes that.

Sometimes I wonder if all husker fans are watching the same games because the comments and threads I see are really baffling. We have fans still making fun of Iowa and Texas while others question Lincoln Riley’s accomplishments. Instead of attacking other teams and belittling their accomplishments, how about we focus on the disaster we have on our hands. Iowa came to our house, was down 21-6 towards the end of the third quarter and then scored 22 unanswered points through their special teams and defense play. They pulled a win and now are heading to the big ten championship. They got 10 wins. Yet, some fans keep making fun of them. Kirk Ferentz has done way more with less talent while Frost has wasted the talent he has by mismanagement of his game plans. We lost so much talent through the transfer portal because these players saw what we are seeing now; a team that has no identity on offense that is lead by a coach who believes special teams are unnecessary. Instead, some on this board say good riddance to those who left. I say, it is on Frost to inspire these players to see what he is building and show them results. After a season where most fans forecasted this team to win no more than 3 to 4 games as I remember from last year’s threads, and that ended up happening, why are we not questioning the HC who was given four years to do as he pleases and did not get results on the field. The “we are so close” excuse is no longer valid. Commentators on sports channels say that losing a close game is pulling a Nebraska. Is this the legacy we want to hang on to? So, please stop belittling the Iowa’s and Minnesota’s out there. PJ Fleck continues to outcoach many of his opponents (including Frost 3/4 times) with one or two key players and they just defeated Wisconsin. Iowa has beaten us 7 times in a row. Texas may not be successful right now but they keep trying to find the guy who will get them back to relevance. What do we do? We save a few million by keeping a coach with zero winning seasons in four years. A coach who may or may not hire a special teams coach because it is not as important as the offense. I would not make fun of any other teams because we are bottom of the barrel and in no place to mock anyone at this time. We can start talking smack when we start beating someone with a pulse consistently.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Texas may not be successful right now but they keep trying to find the guy who will get them back to relevance.

2 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

What do we do? We save a few million by keeping a coach with zero winning seasons in four years.

Okay, you're almost there.

Now....why do you think we're trying to potentially save those several million dollars? 

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Okay, you're almost there.

Now....why do you think we're trying to potentially save those several million dollars? 

I see what you are hinting at but the damage we will do by saving those few million might not be worth it. We will spend money to bring new assistant coaches. They will cost more than what we were paying the others. There are no guarantees they will be successful since Frost still makes the decisions. Recruiting will suffer. We will lose more players to the transfer portal. We will lose one more year of player development under a coach who might be able to do well in their first year at the helm. I am just saying that saving those few millions is not worth the risk you take on a program that is struggling to find an identity. But then again, I really hope I am wrong and that my Huskers find a way to be really competitive next year and compete for the West title. After all, that should not be a tall order for a coach in his 5th year at the helm, right?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, BaytownHusker said:

Nah he set the single season catch record at Kentucky yesterday.   He ain’t going no where. Lol

Which record did he set this weekend?  The Kentucky rushing record?  Must be the case as we know Coach Frost was right when he lined Wandale up in the backfield to take on 315 lb defensive lineman for isolation plays.  

Sarcasm aside, congratulations to Wandale for recognizing a great opportunity to contribute at UK, and then to set the receiving record.  Great kid and he is missed.  

19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I personally don't think Riley will be successful at USC.  Just a gut feeling.  He will be moving his family again in 3-5 years.

Building a program is very different than sustaining a successful one.

Just like, I don't think TO could have done what BD did....and vice versa.  

Yeah I think USC has a higher standard to play offense and defense. I think what kept Riley from making much noise in the playoffs was because he was only good at 2 phases of the game. Offense and Special Teams. But he didn't have solid enough defenses to get it done. When USC has been good they have had solid D and O. He will need to value D more.

11 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

There are no guarantees they will be successful since Frost still makes the decisions. Recruiting will suffer. We will lose more players to the transfer portal. We will lose one more year of player development under a coach who might be able to do well in their first year at the helm. I am just saying that saving those few millions is not worth the risk you take on a program that is struggling to find an identity.

It's a risk no matter what. Recruiting suffering and transfer portal losses will happen no matter what. 

The several million saved betting on Frost is a big risk but so is trying to find a new coach in a year where LSU, USC, OU, TCU, UF, Washington, Virginia Tech and others are all looking for new ones, and all the sudden $10 mil is a normal secure salary. It's impossible to know which is a greater risk, or a more foolish move, so as far as I can tell the only two options are to either pretend like we know better than the AD, or just sit, wait and see.