2021 Coaching Carousel

Just now, The Dude said:

Maybe I need to broaden my circle of coaching carousels, but isn't it crazy every year?  It seems like I hear about it every year.  As if people are continuously surprised a league with 130 or whatever teams has a lot of hirings and firings.

I think it's the type of hirings we have seen.

I'm not sure last year we saw coaches leave what are considered destination jobs at top 15 teams with one still having a legitimate shot at the playoffs to go to other programs.  Then, you tack on the contracts they are getting, at this year seems to be a step up from recent past.

• Plus1 4

5 minutes ago, lo country said:

And the whole hiring a WR before the OC rumors might have scared would be candidates.

Yes, again I posted previously that this all seems backwards.  It tells me that the OC won't have much control- it won't be 'his team' of coaches.  Which would seem to tell me that not much will change and the OC will be window dressing at best.  But I could be totally wrong and cynical at this point - going 3-9 has a way of doing that to  a person. 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I just want the Baylor coach to remain at Baylor & the Coastal Carolina coach to remain at CC..... so that one of them is available next year - just in case Trev's deal doesn't work out.  At this point - my top 2 active HC that haven't moved on the chess board - Oh and Lane Kiffin is in that group as well.   All three have things to offer if Nebraska needs to get serious.  Dave Aranda's stock will go sky high if he defeats Ok State in the CCG.  I like what Chadwell is doing at Costal Caroline - an improvement on what Frost is doing.  And Kiffin would be an intriguing hire and I think he could be successful here.  So we have seen that all it takes in money and the big names will go to unexpected places.  Perhaps saving $7.5 million on Frost's buyout will enable us to 'buy' a great experienced HC next year.  We could be one of the few blue bloods looking for a coach then.  Nebraska & the Big 10 would be a step up for Chadwell, Kiffin would find an easier route to the playoffs.  It might be harder to justify Aranda leaving Baylor as he has an easier route to the playoffs in the Big 12 - esp wt OU leaving soon. But there is no place like Nebraska and our tradition and fan support may be enough to pull him in along with the cash$$$$$

Most of the "big name" head coaches would laugh at the notion there is no place like Nebraska.

If Aranda has another good season, he'll be $10-15 million dollar man.  Chadwell will stay east or southeast and be a $10 million dollar man.

17 minutes ago, lo country said:

Maybe Trev is incredibly savvy.  Knows Frost won’t turn the program around.  Knew that a lot of big coaching spots were opening up or would.  Got the buy out down.  Knew a lot of fans and talking heads still support Frost.  Bri g him back, let it implode.  He’s done everything possible to save the chosen one.  No one will say, one more year and we get a whole new staff.  Not trying to piece together one.  And the whole hiring a WR before the OC rumors might have scared would be candidates.

9 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, again I posted previously that this all seems backwards.  It tells me that the OC won't have much control- it won't be 'his team' of coaches.  Which would seem to tell me that not much will change and the OC will be window dressing at best.  But I could be totally wrong and cynical at this point - going 3-9 has a way of doing that to  a person. 

How do we know the OC hasn't been hired but just hasn't been announced yet? And I've posted a few times now that, for all we know, Mickey Joseph might be the new OC.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think it's the type of hirings we have seen.

I'm not sure last year we saw coaches leave what are considered destination jobs at top 15 teams with one still having a legitimate shot at the playoffs to go to other programs.  Then, you tack on the contracts they are getting, at this year seems to be a step up from recent past.

The two things that made me think "whoa that's kinda crazy" is Coach O getting fired and Mel Tucker getting that preposterous contract.

Has anyone ever gotten fired that quickly after winning a national championship?  I know that last 2 years were bad but sheesh.

• Plus1 3

11 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Unless - and time will tell - the OC has already been picked but can't be announced yet (perhaps due to his team being active) and the OC has vetted the choices for other coaches.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, The Dude said:

The two things that made me think "whoa that's kinda crazy" is Coach O getting fired and Mel Tucker getting that preposterous contract.

Has anyone ever gotten fired that quickly after winning a national championship?  I know that last 2 years were bad but sheesh.

Solich got fired 2 years after participating in the NC game.  That is pretty close. 

5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

How do we know the OC hasn't been hired but just hasn't been announced yet? And I've posted a few times now that, for all we know, Mickey Joseph might be the new OC.

3 minutes ago, observer3 said:

Unless - and time will tell - the OC has already been picked but can't be announced yet (perhaps due to his team being active) and the OC has vetted the choices for other coaches.

This is very possible.  Who is the secret guy behind the curtain.  We've seen how this game has been played before

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! – www.gulfsouthsolar.com

0*Z6u_255UgQhCZdwV.jpg

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I think Gene Chizik was fired a couple seasons after Auburn won the national championship.    

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1