2021 Coaching Carousel

8 hours ago, admo said:

Not be a jerk, but you can understand why they reached out to him.

Before taking Ohio State job he emphatically said that Notre Dame is always his #1 dream job.  And he coached WRs at ND for 4 years before getting his first HC job at BG. 

Plus the irony, that when Meyer says he's not interested, he usually means the opposite lol.

Exactly. He'll be under the golden dome by Christmas. 

18 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I don't get it.

I'd be overjoyed if ND would hire interim coach Lou Holtz.  At least until I realized that meant Skip was in charge.

This poster is full of misinformation about workplace accidents and Cincy's place in the BCS.

NC or national championship is also the state abbreviation of North Carolina.  hence it is easier to get to NC from South Bend than to Louisiana 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, TGHusker said:

From Twitter 

Fun fact for your day. The coach with the highest all-time winning percentage in all of FBS is *still* Tom Osborne. He has a .836 win %. The next closest is, of course, Nick Saban. To catch Osborne's %, Saban would have to win the next 74 games in a row.

The above didn't copy well from my phone.  Here it is again:

Fun fact for your day. The coach with the highest all-time winning percentage in all of FBS is *still* Tom Osborne. He has a .836 win %. The next closest is, of course, Nick Saban. To catch Osborne's %, Saban would have to win the next 74 games in a row.

• Oh Yeah! 5

I've asked myself this a number of times.  

With the contracts we see now with USC and LSU, at what point is the breaking point?  Let's say Riley isn't successful at USC and is fired in 4 years.  They are still on the hook for something like 10 million for 6 years.  Then, I'm sure they will go out and pay even more for the next guy and let's say he isn't successful and they are on the hook for a huge buyout for him.  LSU is said to be paying way above market for assistants too and I'm sure USC is looking to do the same.  

I know athletic departments are swimming in money.  But, there is still a limit.  

I wonder if we will ever see one of these top programs go through a period where they're broke because of this and need to pull back on what they are paying.

• Plus1 1

55 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've asked myself this a number of times.  

With the contracts we see now with USC and LSU, at what point is the breaking point?  Let's say Riley isn't successful at USC and is fired in 4 years.  They are still on the hook for something like 10 million for 6 years.  Then, I'm sure they will go out and pay even more for the next guy and let's say he isn't successful and they are on the hook for a huge buyout for him.  LSU is said to be paying way above market for assistants too and I'm sure USC is looking to do the same.  

I know athletic departments are swimming in money.  But, there is still a limit.  

I wonder if we will ever see one of these top programs go through a period where they're broke because of this and need to pull back on what they are paying.

Reminds me of Pro baseball and Pro basketball player contracts but in this case the super stars are the coaches.  So we end up with sky high ticket prices, $20 hot dogs, and $15 cokes and eventually the only way to watch a game for the average guy is on TV.  For me, coming from Tulsa, it is already an expensive trip - tickets, hotel, travel, food, etc.  That is why it has been a long time since I've made a trip for Lincoln for a game.  Much easier when they were coming to Oklahoma once or 2x a year to play at OU & OSU.   But to your point, you know that one day a top notch program will go broke or say enough is enough and just chose to decide they aren't going there. They are willing to settle for being good and stop paying to price in hope of being excellent.  Maybe college presidents will band together and force the issue some day with salary caps. :dunno

15 minutes ago, Danimal said:

I know that he coached for the zips before but this move surprises me. I get leaving PSU for HC at Miss State but after that went so poorly leaving Oregon to be HC at Akron? 

Wasn't he head coach at Fordham before going to Penn State?  Some guys really like the thought of "owning" their own program and the challenge they get with that, regardless of school or level.  Plus, I am sure HC at Akron is paying more than OC at Oregon.