2021 Coaching Carousel

3 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

While I don’t think it would go down like that (haha) I do think the intent is correct. I’d offer Herman as OC and let him have a go at it. Frost has to be convinced that going forward his best move is to get help from others and Herman fits that bill really well. The fact that we now know Herman will not be the head guy at TCU or SMU helps our cause. What other job is open that Herman would want? 

Haha. That would be my hope, but not reality.  I know people talk about Herman being a jerk, but he won't be coming to my house for dinner.  He won at OSU, Houston and UT.  Our expectations after the past 7 years "should" be much lower than other P5 schools with openings.  It has been so long since we have been relevant that if Herman and the O got us 6 wins next year and 7 or 8 the next few we would be delighted.  The D has kept us in games, not the offense.  Get even an average ST coach, coupled with Herman we might surprise people next year and get to 8 wins.  Herman is not getting picked up as a HC this year unless it is a "lower" program.  Throw the money at him.  We have nothing to lose   

1 hour ago, lo country said:

Haha. That would be my hope, but not reality.  I know people talk about Herman being a jerk, but he won't be coming to my house for dinner.  He won at OSU, Houston and UT.  Our expectations after the past 7 years "should" be much lower than other P5 schools with openings.  It has been so long since we have been relevant that if Herman and the O got us 6 wins next year and 7 or 8 the next few we would be delighted.  The D has kept us in games, not the offense.  Get even an average ST coach, coupled with Herman we might surprise people next year and get to 8 wins.  Herman is not getting picked up as a HC this year unless it is a "lower" program.  Throw the money at him.  We have nothing to lose   

I am on board with this. I like Herman as a hired gun. He knows offense and QB’s and we need severe help. Recruiting regions align well too. What is the downside? If it doesn’t work than the whole thing is getting restarted anyway. If he leaves after a couple few good years to take a HC position, then guess what that means he did well!  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Why would he take this job.  It's one thing to speculate about someone who might actually be interested versus just throwing out random names who will never come here.

Well people kept saying no big time college or former college guy is coming. So looked around at NFL. This guy is regional, played in the Big 10, would be a NFL splash as Patrick Mahomes coach, KC is the hottest offense last few years, and this guy gets a promotion and big raise to come. What’s not to like?

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Well people kept saying no big time college or former college guy is coming. So looked around at NFL. This guy is regional, played in the Big 10, would be a NFL splash as Patrick Mahomes coach, KC is the hottest offense last few years, and this guy gets a promotion and big raise to come. What’s not to like?

He seems to be getting interest for bigger NFL jobs.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30605380/sources-kansas-city-chiefs-qb-coach-mike-kafka-drawing-interest-head-coaching-candidate

1 minute ago, runningblind said:

That looks to be from 2020 but yes he is a strong candidate so that’s why I threw his name out there. He’s not an OC yet so could take that big step with us. The more I think about this timing I think we may start to hear more after LSU’s last game tonight. 

• Plus1 1