Jump to content


2021 Coaching Carousel


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Savage Husker said:

There was an article by a Florida writer who was dissing Frost earlier this season when recalling their job search. They were all high on Mullen in September and now there are rumors he is going to be out? I find it comical

Exactly what I was thinking. Lose a few games, and oh how the tide turns. In our case, we've lost a lot more, though.

Link to comment

15 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

There was an article by a Florida writer who was dissing Frost earlier this season when recalling their job search. They were all high on Mullen in September and now there are rumors he is going to be out? I find it comical

Gotcha.  I was just confused at what you were saying about coaches remaining from 2018.  If you mean Frost is the only one left that started 2018 at a new school, that's not right.  Not even close.

Link to comment

I'm not saying this about our situation.  We obviously have not been successful any year under Frost and if a change needs made, so be it.


But, looking at some of these others, I contend that many times programs get rid of good coaches too soon and don't let them even attempt to bounce back and build a program from one or two slightly down years.  Mullen went 10-3, 11-2, 8-4 and now is 4-4. Three of those losses are to Alabama, Georgia and Kentucky 21-3.  

 

I just don't buy into the, "win now or you're gone" mentality.  Coaches no longer have time to build a program with consistent coaching.

  • Plus1 4
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not saying this about our situation.  We obviously have not been successful any year under Frost and if a change needs made, so be it.


But, looking at some of these others, I contend that many times programs get rid of good coaches too soon and don't let them even attempt to bounce back and build a program from one or two slightly down years.  Mullen went 10-3, 11-2, 8-4 and now is 4-4. Three of those losses are to Alabama, Georgia and Kentucky 21-3.  

 

I just don't buy into the, "win now or you're gone" mentality.  Coaches no longer have time to build a program with consistent coaching.

 

I fully agree getting rid of Mullen would be idiotic. Frost obviously is a different situation, he hasn't succeeded at all.

Link to comment
22 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not saying this about our situation.  We obviously have not been successful any year under Frost and if a change needs made, so be it.


But, looking at some of these others, I contend that many times programs get rid of good coaches too soon and don't let them even attempt to bounce back and build a program from one or two slightly down years.  Mullen went 10-3, 11-2, 8-4 and now is 4-4. Three of those losses are to Alabama, Georgia and Kentucky 21-3.  

 

I just don't buy into the, "win now or you're gone" mentality.  Coaches no longer have time to build a program with consistent coaching.

I think it would be a mistake for Florida to get rid of Mullen at this point.  He's proven to be a good coach in the past.  

Link to comment

6 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I think it would be a mistake for Florida to get rid of Mullen at this point.  He's proven to be a good coach in the past.  

 

I fully agree as well. Mullen finished 69-46 while at Mississippi State after taking over for a coach that was 21-38. That is a HUGE turnaround.  

 

At Florida Mullen is 33-13 (21-11) in four years which is not too shabby.  I realize Florida is 4-4 now but they have played the toughest part of their schedule and are likely to finish 8-4.  If Florida let him go I would be super happy to get him at Nebraska!

  • Plus1 3
Link to comment

I think Mullen is going to be fine assuming he parts ways with his DC.  Mullen's calling card has been on offense although his desire to run Emory Jones out there instead of Richardson was interesting.  I'd be really surprised if UF moved on from Mullen given his ties to the school as a previous assistant.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Gotcha.  I was just confused at what you were saying about coaches remaining from 2018.  If you mean Frost is the only one left that started 2018 at a new school, that's not right.  Not even close.

Yup, I did imply that and I am wrong. There are about 6 others? Jimbo, Taggert, Cristobal, Diaz, Mullen, Frost, Kelly. I obviously misread something from earlier this year.
 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not saying this about our situation.  We obviously have not been successful any year under Frost and if a change needs made, so be it.


But, looking at some of these others, I contend that many times programs get rid of good coaches too soon and don't let them even attempt to bounce back and build a program from one or two slightly down years.  Mullen went 10-3, 11-2, 8-4 and now is 4-4. Three of those losses are to Alabama, Georgia and Kentucky 21-3.  

 

I just don't buy into the, "win now or you're gone" mentality.  Coaches no longer have time to build a program with consistent coaching.

If Frost is here in ‘22 it’s because he changes up his staff and/or Alberts realizes the department was in disarray and will give Frost what he needs. 

  • Plus1 3
Link to comment

Gary Patterson's leaving sooner, rather than end-of-season, seems to be a good strategic move (for him) if he is looking at another position somewhere else. If he is already talking with another A.D. (or three) it seems to also free those A.D.s to make a firing before the season ends. It seems to me that if we don't want to completely blow a recruiting class, it would be helpful to have our next staff in place sooner, rather than later. Nobody is going to want to commit to a staff that (odds are) isn't going to be there next year. I also wonder if Patterson would be taking any assistants with him to his new destination?

 

Which leads to another question in my mind: Are there any current assistants who would stay and remain an asset to a new incoming HC?

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Which leads to another question in my mind: Are there any current assistants who would stay and remain an asset to a new incoming HC?

I'm sure Mario and Austin would be willing to stay.  Same goes for any other assistants that are unlikely to garner interest due to a poor recent track record.

  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

46 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Yup, I did imply that and I am wrong. There are about 6 others? Jimbo, Taggert, Cristobal, Diaz, Mullen, Frost, Kelly. I obviously misread something from earlier this year.
 

If Frost is here in ‘22 it’s because he changes up his staff and/or Alberts realizes the department was in disarray and will give Frost what he needs. 

What does Frost need that he doesn't already have? Just curious.

Link to comment
13 minutes ago, EngineeringHusker said:

What does Frost need that he doesn't already have? Just curious.

I’ve always wondered that too.  The only thing I can think of is Trev making sure the athletic department is moving in the same direction behind the scenes.  But, that seems like an overrated need.  It certainly doesn’t account for 15- A Lot. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...