2021 Coaching Carousel

4 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

While I dont necessarily disagree with your premise, but if he would've had the level of success we all hoped he'd have (regardless of support), he would've left NU with a vapor trail upon receiving an SEC  or similar big-time head-coaching offer. 

True, but I still wonder.  I think losing Carl and Sanders hurt the D (and the players).

Good article to remind us why we don't want to get a coach that is behind the times were the game may have passed him buy.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/opinion-gary-patterson-s-sudden-departure-is-sad-ending-for-the-man-who-transformed-tcu-football/ar-AAQaqNV?ocid=entnewsntp

Though the decision to make a change now seems abrupt, it’s not exactly a huge surprise. Football is a game of evolution, and it had become clear in the last few years that it was evolving beyond Patterson in too many ways. 

Patterson’s defense, which was once the gold standard for every program besides Alabama, was no longer effective against modern offenses. The way he communicated with players had come under scrutiny, including an incident last year when he had to apologize for using the N-word in an attempt to get a player to stop saying it in the locker room. He looked out of touch when talking about players profiting off their name, image and likeness. When he spent nearly a week this season publicly fuming about the way SMU celebrated its win at TCU’s stadium, he came off like an old crank.

But even after so many years and so much success, Patterson was like any other coach who needed to keep winning to keep his job. Outside of his year-over-year dominance against Texas, Patterson simply didn’t do it enough. 

From 2002 to 2017, Patterson went 154-50, winning championships in Conference USA, the Mountain West and the Big 12. With each rung up the ladder, TCU only got better and earned more respect. Eventually, though, it got stale. From the start of 2018 to now, TCU is just 21-22.

Little by little, and then quite obviously this season as TCU lost five of its last six, it was time for a change. The only question was whether Patterson would recognize it himself or need a nudge to know it was over. 

We don’t know yet whether Patterson, at age 61, is done with coaching or will try to make one more run.

As sweaty and maniacal as he could seem on the sideline, Patterson was one of the more intellectually curious and interesting personalities when you got him off the field. Whether it was writing country songs or taking photo safari trips to Africa, there was much more to Patterson than what fans saw on Saturday afternoons. If he wanted to, he could find plenty to occupy his time in retirement. 

But the way it ended at TCU will undoubtedly eat at him, because Patterson legitimately saw himself leading that program to a national championship once it established its footing in the Big 12.

He might have already done it in 2010 had the College Football Playoff been in place with a team that was loaded with NFL players, including quarterback Andy Dalton. Instead, TCU had to settle for 13-0 and a Rose Bowl title without getting a shot at national champion Auburn under the old BCS system. 

In 2014, TCU’s third year in the Big 12, Patterson overhauled the offense and went to an up-tempo spread that became instantly devastating with quarterback Trevone Boykin. Only a three-point loss at Baylor — and a hard-to-explain drop from No. 3 to No. 6 in the final week of the CFP rankings — kept TCU out of the initial four-team playoff. 

Though TCU had two more top-10 finishes in the next three years, Patterson never reached those heights again or got the program back on the path to conference title contention. For whatever reason, a coach who made winning look routine for so many years simply ran out of ideas. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Good article to remind us why we don't want to get a coach that is behind the times were the game may have passed him buy.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/opinion-gary-patterson-s-sudden-departure-is-sad-ending-for-the-man-who-transformed-tcu-football/ar-AAQaqNV?ocid=entnewsntp

Chadwell is the innovator.....Be a risk, but bigger the risk the bigger the reward...

Not that Frost made winning easy, but the last statement says a lot to me.  Seems like Frost, without the experience and a veteran staff, has run out of ideas......And I am guessing time.

For whatever reason, a coach who made winning look routine for so many years simply ran out of ideas. 

Great article.

7 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Which makes me wonder if the coaching profession has changed. 

In the early 90s TO went to other coaches and was taught how to run an attacking 4-3 defense. He then had other coaches in to teach them when we were so successful.  

I never hear of such a thing now days. Are coaches not willing to go that? Or, are coaches not given the chance to if they have a rough season or two?

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Which makes me wonder if the coaching profession has changed. 

In the early 90s TO went to other coaches and was taught how to run an attacking 4-3 defense. He then had other coaches in to teach them when we were so successful.  

I never hear of such a thing now days. Are coaches not willing to go that? Or, are coaches not given the chance to if they have a rough season or two?

Good points.  Tom and Bobbie Bowden exchanged ideas.  It was almost like coaches were in a fraternity that meant they helped each other out.  Unless of course they were in the same conference - I don't think Tom and Barry exchanged ideas!   

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

Good points.  Tom and Tommy Bowden exchanged ideas.  It was almost like coaches were in a fraternity that meant they helped each other out.  Unless of course they were in the same conference - I don't think Tom and Barry exchanged ideas!   

Oh, they learned from each other….but not willingly. 

I believe that the coaching profession has been forced to become so cutthroat that you no longer have those long term coaches that feel comfortable enough to do this. 

Now days, you better come in with the perfect systems, staff and recruiting classes to win immediately or your fired. 

There literally is no room for error to say…..hmmm…that’s not working, let’s try this. 

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Oh, they learned from each other….but not willingly. 

I believe that the coaching profession has been forced to become so cutthroat that you no longer have those long term coaches that feel comfortable enough to do this. 

Now days, you better come in with the perfect systems, staff and recruiting classes to win immediately or your fired. 

There literally is no room for error to say…..hmmm…that’s not working, let’s try this. 

Yes, there wouldn't have been time to change his defense after the 1992 season (was it then or 1991?)  Whatever year, it paid dividends as he went for speed, an change from a 5-3(I believe) to a 4-3 - we then end up wt a defensive scheme that crushed most everyone we played.  

4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, there wouldn't have been time to change his defense after the 1992 season (was it then or 1991?)  Whatever year, it paid dividends as he went for speed, an change from a 5-3(I believe) to a 4-3 - we then end up wt a defensive scheme that crushed most everyone we played.  

and, how many years did we lose to OU and bowl games before that?  

Yes, he had a good program that was winning 9 games. But, it wasn’t great. 

Think of the coaches from that era that were given time and ended up legends. 

Now, look at Dan Mullens. Seriously?  They are thinking about firing him?  Could have Patterson gone and learned something new to change TCU?

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

and, how many years did we lose to OU and bowl games before that?  

Yes, he had a good program that was winning 9 games. But, it wasn’t great. 

Think of the coaches from that era that were given time and ended up legends. 

Now, look at Dan Mullens. Seriously?  They are thinking about firing him?  Could have Patterson gone and learned something new to change TCU?

Exactly. They are both excellent coaches - I think both would have been successful at Nebraska    Florida could fall into the same trap we've been in under the Solich curse if they aren't careful.  Not sure who TCU will get that is better than Patterson in the shaky Big 12?

8 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Exactly. They are both excellent coaches - I think both would have been successful at Nebraska    Florida could fall into the same trap we've been in under the Solich curse if they aren't careful.  Not sure who TCU will get that is better than Patterson in the shaky Big 12?

Grinch?  Maybe see it as an opportunity to stay in the Big 12, not go into the SEC and win like he did at OU.....Without OU and UT, the Big 12 gets easier...