Where is Markese Stepp

Stepp will enter transfer portal this spring since our coaches do not have a game plan. Either our coaches cannot develop talent and keep them happy and hopeful or they recruit the wrong players. We have three RB yet we cannot get a good production from them and when we do get good production, we yank them out of the game. Our offense is so chaotic and has no identity. We simply do not play to our strengths. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

It is extremely funny to me that a lot of people automatically blame the coaches when guys don't meet OUR expectations.  Didn't Stepp get recruited at USC ? Didn't he gradually lose playing time? Didn't he enter the portal?  I baffles me to no end when we get guys from the portal or JC and when they could NOT make it at another school (or excel at lower level juco), we are up in arms when it doesn't work here.  Look at guys who have left here.  Outside of Wandale, not many over the years have made major impacts, but yet we expect it to be different when guys portal into Nebraska.  Maybe the guys just aren't talented as some "*" indicated.

So much easier to blame coaches. SMH

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, HANC said:

It is extremely funny to me that a lot of people automatically blame the coaches when guys don't meet OUR expectations.  Didn't Stepp get recruited at USC ? Didn't he gradually lose playing time? Didn't he enter the portal?  I baffles me to no end when we get guys from the portal or JC and when they could NOT make it at another school (or excel at lower level juco), we are up in arms when it doesn't work here.  Look at guys who have left here.  Outside of Wandale, not many over the years have made major impacts, but yet we expect it to be different when guys portal into Nebraska.  Maybe the guys just aren't talented as some "*" indicated.

So much easier to blame coaches. SMH

That is why I never look at the portal as something that is going to save this team.  You might find 1 or 2 out of 5 that contribute but we aren't getting Justin Fields to transfer to Nebraska ever.  We have to get it done with recruiting and development which this staff has shown no ability to do consistently in 4 years.

Stepp was hurt and lost playing time at USC, and guess what, the same thing happened here also. Shocker.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, BaytownHusker said:

Well we did get this WR this year that was balling out to begin the season and then he found him self in the bottomless pit of a WR rotation and barley getting targets.  

One of our beat writers had mentioned that Frost and Co treat the walk-ons like the top recruits.  That's great in most accounts.  Until game time.  You recruited the 4* kids for a reason.  Play them.  If they do not know the play book, then run plays they know (maybe playbook too much info).  If they can't beat the walk-ons out, then it was a recruiting miss....Or inability to develop the kid.  Like that end around I think Betts ran once....Or that I never (rarely) see AA and Vok in the end zone on red zone plays.  I mean both are taller than the cross bar of the goal posts....

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, lo country said:

One of our beat writers had mentioned that Frost and Co treat the walk-ons like the top recruits.  That's great in most accounts.  Until game time.  You recruited the 4* kids for a reason.  Play them.  If they do not know the play book, then run plays they know (maybe playbook too much info).  If they can't beat the walk-ons out, then it was a recruiting miss....Or inability to develop the kid.  Like that end around I think Betts ran once....Or that I never (rarely) see AA and Vok in the end zone on red zone plays.  I mean both are taller than the cross bar of the goal posts....

The TE utilization (lack thereof) is extremely extremely baffling...these are 2 dudes that we should be hitting 1 out of every 3 passes...double TE in redzone and just run crosses with sits/throw it up high should be on repeat mode

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 2

13 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Greg Bell has worked out well at SDSU. 

Absolutely he has.  Averaging 4.0 ypc on a 7-1 team.  Wandale having good year and was grossly misused here.  I don't think these 2 examples diminishes my point of saying that we shouldn't be surprised when "portal" guys don't pan out.  Most of the time, they have not panned out somewhere else too.  

Back to Stepp.  If people have watched, it is extremely obvious that on a few critical plays, he went the wrong way.  AM saved his butt by scoring on a 2 yd "scramble out of nothing" when Stepp went wrong direction.  This also plays into pass pro, which the coaches have continually harped about.  He may be a kid that needs to "do" rather than "see" or "study".  With him missing time because of injury, his reps were down.  Coaches can't control injury or how long a guy is out.  They also can't control if a player has the ability to learn plays.  Stepp may have ability, but his availability and his liability may out way his other ability.

• Plus1 2
16 hours ago, hunter49 said:

Frost has the RB room jacked up, we will lose at least 2 guys this spring.

Frost is a joke.

We were going to lose at least 2 guys all along.  You don't maintain a room that full.  You make the room that full to identify your top 2-3, give those guys enough playing time to keep them, and let the others move along.

I get you don't like Frost and want him gone but your takes...  

200.gif?cid=ecf05e47ruc6yw4nzkeuiaj4jg1e

21 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

We were going to lose at least 2 guys all along.  You don't maintain a room that full.  You make the room that full to identify your top 2-3, give those guys enough playing time to keep them, and let the others move along.

I get you don't like Frost and want him gone but your takes...  

200.gif?cid=ecf05e47ruc6yw4nzkeuiaj4jg1e

That GIF!  hahahaha