Who Will Win - Huskers vs OSU - Poll

TGHusker

Who Wins  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I think the 14 points you are giving us is generous.  Maybe it comes against their 2nd and 3rd string. 

Personally, I think AM will have at least four [4] TD's.  The part I can't quite answer yet is how many for the Offense and how many for their Defense.  :-)  I will be rooting for us ... but my mind expects to see smaller windows of opportunity and the walls caving in on this one.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Personally, I think AM will have at least four [4] TD's.  The part I can't quite answer yet is how many for the Offense and how many for their Defense.  :-)  I will be rooting for us ... but my mind expects to see smaller windows of opportunity and the walls caving in on this one.

:o

You never know how this team will respond. Up to now they've played to the level of their opponents but after Saturday I worry they may have checked out for the rest of the season. With HCSF not even addressing the team following the game I wonder how this is all going to play out. Won't be at all surprised at a blowout with OSU hanging in the neighborhood of 50 on us.

I'm going with the hybrid option. Nebraska puts in a plucky first half effort, and OSU sleepwalks a bit. The better team pulls away in the third quarter, and when the pressure is off, the Huskers get a couple fourth quarter scores. Ohio State still wins by 18, but you can't call it a blowout and you can't get upset with the clearly overmatched Nebraska. It's a slightly better slice of mediocrity than losing to Purdue, and that's where we are. 

Ohio State will win in a blowout and here's why: talent. The gap in talent will be unlike anything we've seen this season. The difference in talent between Purdue and Ohio State is like night and day. I would be shocked if we kept it within 1 score. It would be an absolute miracle if we ended up pulling the upset, especially for an 11 am start.

However, I will be cheering on the Huskers, like I do every week. 

As I said in another thread, 3 NFL receivers having all day to get open due to no pass rush + Henderson coming into his own and running like a man possessed + NU OLine being unable to block anything with a pulse = BLOWOUT.  Seriously, Olave in the slot running 10 yard drag routes against Reimers/Heinrich will cover the spread alone in the first quarter.

• Plus1 2

Ohio state site sizes up the Huskers.  

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2021/10/126316/five-things-to-know-about-nebraska-before-it-plays-host-to-ohio-state

The Huskers won’t exactly be red-hot when they host Ohio State next weekend.

Nebraska has lost three straight games, its longest losing streak of the season (and since 2019), while the Buckeyes are winners of six consecutive contests.

The numbers have not been atrocious for the Huskers in losses to Michigan, Minnesota and Purdue over the past three games, as Nebraska has not been significantly outgained on offense in any of the three matchups. In fact, Nebraska won the yardage battle against Purdue. However, the Huskers were on the losing end of the turnover differential against both the Wolverines and Boilermakers, and have generally struggled to get enough points on the board to secure a win.

With an average of 29.9 points per game this season, Nebraska is No. 56 in the country in scoring offense, but that number is somewhat skewed by two outlier performances on offense in which Nebraska scored 52 against Fordham and 56 against Northwestern. Without those two games, the Huskers would only be averaging 23 points, which is exactly what they’ve scored in each of their past two losing efforts.

DEFENSE HAS BEEN SOLID

A chief reason Nebraska has been able to keep every game close this season is the play of its defense, which is allowing just 20.3 points per game in 2021.

Despite having lost twice as many games as they’ve won, the Huskers possess the No. 27 scoring defense in the country. No team has scored more than 32 points against Nebraska, and it has held six opponents under 30 points this year. Three teams – Fordham, Buffalo and Northwestern – have been held to single-digit scoring against the Huskers.

Nebraska’s total defense (348.4 yards per game) and pass defense (211.2 yards per game) both rank in the top 50 among FBS teams, and its run defense is just outside at No. 51 with an average allowance of 137.2 yards per game.

Sophomore linebacker Luke Reimer is second in the Big Ten with 86 tackles already this season, and redshirt freshman linebacker Nick Henrich is not far behind with 79, good for third place in the conference.

• Plus1 1
On 11/1/2021 at 11:02 AM, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm going with the hybrid option. Nebraska puts in a plucky first half effort, and OSU sleepwalks a bit. The better team pulls away in the third quarter, and when the pressure is off, the Huskers get a couple fourth quarter scores. Ohio State still wins by 18, but you can't call it a blowout and you can't get upset with the clearly overmatched Nebraska. It's a slightly better slice of mediocrity than losing to Purdue, and that's where we are. 

I think this is a pretty reasonable take, I think Ohio State ends up winning by 17 as I think they end up making a big play on special teams to put Nebraska away.  My caveat is if Ohio State jumps up 14-0 in the 1st quarter like they did in 2016 it might get really, really ugly.  I expect the defense will put up a game effort but if you keep giving an offense like Ohio State a ton of whacks at the piñata then eventually that thing is gonna bust open.