Who Will Win - Huskers vs OSU - Poll

TGHusker

Who Wins  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 11/1/2021 at 8:46 AM, TGHusker said:

Kind of like putting the wounded animal out of its misery.    At this point, it has to become obvious that the cancer needs to be cut out and not just bandaged over.  

I'm ready to move on.  4 years is enough. We can't have another year of uncertainty only to fall deeper behind other programs in our own division.  Just hard to imagine that Mike Riley had us more competitive than Frost.  

Why cause Frost did good in a crap conference?  

1 minute ago, BaytownHusker said:

Why cause Frost did good in a crap conference?  

very true.  We compared AAU to Big 10 and said "Apples to Apples" mainly because they beat Auburn in the bowl game.  They got hot against a good SEC team and ended up 13-0 and thought that would transfer to Big 10 play. 

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

very true.  We compared AAU to Big 10 and said "Apples to Apples" mainly because they beat Auburn in the bowl game.  They got hot against a good SEC team and ended up 13-0 and thought that would transfer to Big 10 play. 

I always told myself from the Get go that Frosty Crap wasn't gonna fly week in and week out in the B1G.  I mean we seen what happened to Michigan when they tried to go all Rich Rod lol..  It didn't work.

2 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

I always told myself from the Get go that Frosty Crap wasn't gonna fly week in and week out in the B1G.  I mean we seen what happened to Michigan when they tried to go all Rich Rod lol..  It didn't work.

Yes, I forgot about Rich Rod's offense - same story.   But Michigan cut him loose after 3 years I believe. 

49 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Uhm. Everyone did. I'm not big on Scott Frost at the moment, but it's ridiculous to pretend his elevating UCF to the top of college football and a legit win against the SEC was a mirage we should have seen coming. He was the hottest HC prospect in college football in 2017 regardless of conference. Normally Nebraska isn't in the running for that guy, but we had a rare in with Scott Frost. 

The Big 10 is pretty competitive top to bottom. That's about it. You don't need a specific style of play, you just need to do it well.

• Plus1 5

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

I find the idea that success in a lower conference is not good enough to prove success in the Big Ten interesting.  Chances are, if we fire Frost, we will be either hiring a top coordinator (which some have said they don't want) or a coach from a lower level that has shown success.

Also, I'm not a believer in that the Big Ten is so different that we HAVE to have a Big Ten guy to know how to win here.  Most systems can be successful if you have the right coach and players.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Also, I'm not a believer in that the Big Ten is so different that we HAVE to have a Big Ten guy to know how to win here.  Most systems can be successful if you have the right coach and players.

Agree. And if the Big 10 really did have a similar style of play, I might want the guy who does something different to exploit it. 

Some folks may tend to think of the Big 10 as more fundamental, smashmouth football, but I don't think that's the case anymore.

Besides, those fundamental smashmouth Big 10 teams of yesteryear used to get their asses handed to them by speedy Pac 12 teams in the Rose Bowl. 

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I find the idea that success in a lower conference is not good enough to prove success in the Big Ten interesting.  Chances are, if we fire Frost, we will be either hiring a top coordinator (which some have said they don't want) or a coach from a lower level that has shown success.

I think it is more about years of HC experience that is important.  Yes, most P5 coaches came from the other conferences.  Scott's experience was limited but the 13-0 kind of hid that fact in my thinking.  

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Uhm. Everyone did. I'm not big on Scott Frost at the moment, but it's ridiculous to pretend his elevating UCF to the top of college football and a legit win against the SEC was a mirage we should have seen coming. He was the hottest HC prospect in college football in 2017 regardless of conference. Normally Nebraska isn't in the running for that guy, but we had a rare in with Scott Frost. 

The Big 10 is pretty competitive top to bottom. That's about it. You don't need a specific style of play, you just need to do it well.

Oh, I agree - I was all on the Frost train when we hired him and have been all these years until lately.  I don't think anyone saw his poor performance coming - just the opposite - thus our high expectations.   Perhaps the issue isn't conference vs conference but years of experience as a HC and also the competitiveness issue you bring up when comparing Big 10 to AAC.  

A lot if not most head coaches made the step up from Coodinator at some point, and if they're smart and hungry they might easily outperform the experienced Head Coach who brings a name but has lost his edge and motivation. 

And if you want your experienced HC to come from a P5 school, Nebraska is going to be a lateral move, if that. 

Nebraska doesn't want to overpay for a sure thing, because there is no such thing.

NU has top shelf facilities and fanbase. The fact that it's a dumpster fire right now only makes it more attractive to the guy we want.  

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I think it is more about years of HC experience that is important.  Yes, most P5 coaches came from the other conferences.  Scott's experience was limited but the 13-0 kind of hid that fact in my thinking.  

If a guy with limited HC experience(i.e. Frost) would of surrrounded himself with a proven staff vs the JV guys he insisted upon bringing, we could be having a different conversation.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Winning is contagious and so is losing.  The only way to break the cycle is to erase the past  from your mindset.  As long as you guys believe you can’t win you will continue to realize your own self fulfilling prophecy.  The day you decide to have some Self respect and pride in yourselves you can start reclaiming your legacy.  But that’s strictly up to you.  It’s all mental it’s only physical in so much as your mind overcomes or does not overcome.  Get up off the deck and get back in the fight.  When a team loses consistently by a touchdown or less it’s because mentally they are holding themselves back.  You’re not winning because you don’t believe you can.  You must believe in yourselves and each other.  Only then will you succeed! 

Stroud was playing high school football last year!   He gets rattled easily all you have to do is hit him a couple of times and it changes the whole dynamic of the game.  Penn State shut them down last week and would have won had it not been for that fumble return.  Nebraska just seems like you guys have all given up.  When are you going to stop feeling sorry for yourselves and start playing football?  

• Plus1 1

Here's the Big 12. It may not have the rankings of the Big 10 at the moment, but it would hardly be a cakewalk for any middle tier Big 10 team. 

How many of these are you confident this Nebraska team would beat? 

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Baylor

Iowa State

Kansas State

Texas

West Virginia

Texas Tech

TCU

Kansas

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Here's the Big 12. It may not have the rankings of the Big 10 at the moment, but it would hardly be a cakewalk for any middle tier Big 10 team. 

How many of these are you confident this Nebraska team would beat? 

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Baylor

Iowa State

Kansas State

Texas

West Virginia

Texas Tech

TCU

Kansas

I'll take "Numbers Less Than 3" for $400, Alex.

• Plus1 2