It's crazy that we only have three wins.

knapplc

6 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Dude, you must be new here (I know you aren't). This was discussed ad nauseum all summer long. Attrition of Riley's guys primarily, and some of Frosts recruits that never made it or Wandale, drives us down in on roster rankings considerably. We are no better talentwise than our peers at this point.

And unfortunately this is on Frost, as it would be any college head coach.

Some kids will always by "lost causes" when it comes to college athletics.  Sadly, some very talented kids just have an attitude that holds them back from helping the team and they have to go.  But overall, it's on the head coach to not only recruit the next batch, but also to make sure the current players are happy and want to be part of the program.

This is why any college coach should jump at the NFL if given a chance.  I would hate my life if I constantly had to worry about a 20 year old college student, who is used to being the center of the universe in their hometown, is "happy". 

But like @Hedley Lamarr stated, NU's roster is still more talented than the teams they are losing to.

• Plus1 1

14 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am with you on an improved record, but a non-bowl game in Year 1 wouldn't be that big of a deal for me.  Also, why do so many people make a big deal about "not getting blown out".  I know we want NU to be competitive, but sometimes blowouts happen.  Having a game plan to "keep it close" is lame football.

Sooo….you don’t care if our team has a chance to win the game in the 4th quarter?

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sooo….you don’t care if our team has a chance to win the game in the 4th quarter?

I think most NU fans would be okay with games against B1G West teams being decided pretty much at the start of the 4th, in NU's favor of course.

This isn't realistic for a lot of situations. But if NU was as good as advertised, it should have been against Illinois and Purdue.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I think most NU fans would be okay with games against B1G West teams being decided pretty much at the start of the 4th, in NU's favor of course.

This isn't realistic for a lot of situations. But if NU was as good as advertised, it should have been against Illinois and Purdue.

Our roster is talented enough to be 7-2 right now at worst (Counting UM and Oklahoma as the L's). The fact that we continuously make mistakes that havent been corrected tells me that this is a Frost and Co issue and not a talent issue. 

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1
22 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's not that I don't care about close games. I don't get as mad about blowout losses as other fans do. Now, I watch nearly every game at home from my couch, so it might be different if I was investing time and $ going to the games in person, and wanting leave at halftime of a blowout. 

12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It's not that I don't care about close games. I don't get as mad about blowout losses as other fans do. Now, I watch nearly every game at home from my couch, so it might be different if I was investing time and $ going to the games in person, and wanting leave at halftime of a blowout. 

Living 4 hours away I don't make a ton of trips each year. After the 2019 tOSU college gameday fiasco. I left after the beginning of the third when I realized we had no fight left in us for that game. I only went to Fordham this year simply because I wanted my son to see us win a game in person. The price of hotels near the stadium etc to watch the product we put on the field isnt worth the financial investment to make that trip. 

• Plus1 1

Maybe I opened Pandora's Box with my comment about no blowout losses, but I just don't think that needs to be a qualifier for a successful, new coach in 2022. If I am a new coach, and I am implementing my schemes and trying to establish an identity/culture, there could be some broken eggs in that recipe. Sometimes NU will face teams which are significantly better and more talented, sometimes those games get out of hand. If it's a new coach in year 1 or 2, I wouldn't hold that against the coach, if it meant a better overall win-loss record. 

34 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Our roster is talented enough to be 7-2 right now at worst (Counting UM and Oklahoma as the L's). The fact that we continuously make mistakes that havent been corrected tells me that this is a Frost and Co issue and not a talent issue. 

Especially as the "perceived talent level increases", but our W-L stay the same.  We are keeping the games close because of the talent on defense IMHO.  We are keeping close not because of the coaches, but in spite of the coaches....And we have 4 years and a lot of metrics that prove this out.  I do not think one more year would influence the outcome at all. 

And if we change the staff, and perform poorly next year it will be we have a "new OL coach", "new OC", "new RB coach etc"......Same if AM is not here.  A new QB. Or lost our leaders on defense.....Which would then give Frost year 6 to see if the new staff can click in year 2.....

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Maybe I opened Pandora's Box with my comment about no blowout losses, but I just don't think that needs to be a qualifier for a successful, new coach in 2022. If I am a new coach, and I am implementing my schemes and trying to establish an identity/culture, there could be some broken eggs in that recipe. Sometimes NU will face teams which are significantly better and more talented, sometimes those games get out of hand. If it's a new coach in year 1 or 2, I wouldn't hold that against the coach, if it meant a better overall win-loss record. 

I agree. There are no moral victories or style points awarded. Let me see a coach who can get us 6 wins and bowling and then build from there.  We are 0-6 this year in one score games.........You know where that has us?  Wanting to fire the HC......Give me a winner with a clunker or 3 until they figure it out.  This is where a coach that knows the B1G (or guys on staff) to shorten that learning curve...

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Dang pesky facts are hard to argue. Plus attrition is partly the fault of coaching staffs. Example, if we used wandale right he would still be here. 

Yeah we tried to do too much with him it didn’t help that nearly every throw to him by AM nearly got him killed.