It's crazy that we only have three wins.

knapplc

50 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

Nebraska has mastered the ability to continually get in its own way!  

I have a funny story to add to this.  I moved out to Southern California in 2001, in 2015 I started practicing at the Murrieta Golf range and met Barry McDonald, he was Ricky Fowlers coach and a great man, he has since passed on.  I took twenty or so lessons from Barry, he was all old school, no videos.  If he wanted to show you something he would make you feel it with a drill or pull out Ben Hogans "Five Lessons", and show you a picture.  While practicing, one of the old pro's that also taught at the range asked Barry while I was hitting, "Barry, how is "Name" hitting them"?  Barry looked at him and said, "Name", just need's to learn to get out of his own way".  I still cant by the way.  :)

Edited by CAHusker
  • Haha 1

I'm too lazy to look this up, but could the offensive numbers be skewed by an out-of-the-ordinary number of instances when the team is down one or two scores in the 4th quarter? When a team is down one or two scores in the 4th quarter, the opponent often goes into a "prevent" type of defense that gives up short plays to prevent the big plays. If you get the ball 2 or 3 times in the 4th quarter under those circumstances, you can count on 50 to 100 "easy" yards that likely wouldn't have been gained if the opponent remained aggressive on defense.

In other words, an average offense can post above-average numbers if it has significantly more opportunities against a "prevent" defense.

On the flip side, defensive numbers could also be skewed a bit if a defense never has to play "prevent" defense and the opponent's offense goes "conservative" to avoid an interception.

Sooooo, if my totally unscientific theory is correct, a team can have deceptively good numbers on both sides of the ball if it plays a large number of close games that it loses.

• Plus1 1

Question to anyone who knows the history better 

1. has a coach ever had 4 years this bad then turned things around? 
2. has a coach who had a bad start to coaching in the P5 like frost has, who got fired. Ever gone on to become a successful head coach somewhere else that would make the first school regret firing him? Point is since frost is young in his career is there any example in history they turn into top tier coach?

6 hours ago, knapplc said:

Look at our company on this chart. 

If we could just get out of our own damned way, we'd be ranked right now. Theoretically undefeated.

FDIRHD0WUAcSzFw?format=jpg&name=orig

The great “what if” game. Will you ever learn? You can never beat it. You’ve got to deal with TODAY not worry about tomorrow like Pelini used to say. Every excuse to protect SF or prevent a much needed termination is a joke. There is not one positive thing Frost has done that can keep him from staying here other than what?

The name? Heck, Bo had the highest GPA and academic all Americans in the history of our program. That’s something that should keep a losing HC’s job. But this isn’t about Bo. But I am one of many who feel he should not have been fired. 

Scott made an interesting comment when he was hired something along the lines of “We were a little spoiled with 9 wins a year here and it wasn’t enough.” I just hope we can do the same while I’m here. I’m too tired to dig for the exact quote.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

2. has a coach who had a bad start to coaching in the P5 like frost has, who got fired. Ever gone on to become a successful head coach somewhere else that would make the first school regret firing him? Point is since frost is young in his career is there any example in history they turn into top tier coach?

Frank Beamer got off to a slow start at VT. Had 4 losing seasons in his first 6.  He did have two winning seasons in his first four. Bill Snyder had 3 losing seasons out of his first 4 during his building at KSU. Of course KSU was 3-40-1 in the 4 years prior to Snyder showing up. Nebraska was 28-23 in the 4 years prior to Frost showing up.

Hardly any coach gets to keep their job if they start out as bad as Frost has.

9 minutes ago, Grug said:

Frank Beamer got off to a slow start at VT. Had 4 losing seasons in his first 6.  He did have two winning seasons in his first four. Bill Snyder had 3 losing seasons out of his first 4 during his building at KSU. Of course KSU was 3-40-1 in the 4 years prior to Snyder showing up. Nebraska was 28-23 in the 4 years prior to Frost showing up.

Hardly any coach gets to keep their job if they start out as bad as Frost has.

I’m assuming those coaches walked into worse situations than Frost did too. Since we joined the big10 we have out recruited every team in our current Big10 west. Plus his first 3 classes were close to top 20 classes. Guessing Snyder walked into top 100 classes, Beamer idk but prob not much better. So I would expect longer leashes when the talent on the roster was really bad 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I’m assuming those coaches walked into worse situations than Frost did too. Since we joined the big10 we have out recruited every team in our current Big10 west. Plus his first 3 classes were close to top 20 classes. Guessing Snyder walked into top 100 classes, Beamer idk but prob not much better. So I would expect longer leashes when the talent on the roster was really bad 

Dude, you must be new here (I know you aren't). This was discussed ad nauseum all summer long. Attrition of Riley's guys primarily, and some of Frosts recruits that never made it or Wandale, drives us down in on roster rankings considerably. We are no better talentwise than our peers at this point.

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

The short answer to your question 1 is no. Historically, good coaches are able to show some type of positive change in the record within the first 4 years, and it's usually done in the first 2-3 years. I said this when Riley was coach, and I will say it now. Keeping Frost another year would be counting on a historical anomaly which hasn't happened before. 

3 hours ago, ndobney said:

The stats show they are performing though that was the point of the post. It's good performance not translating to wins. 

But wins are the only stat that really matters. The opposing coaches know that despite all of the other things that happen during the game, NU will do something to lead to a loss. That's the DNA of NU under Frost. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Dude, you must be new here (I know you aren't). This was discussed ad nauseum all summer long. Attrition of Riley's guys primarily, and some of Frosts recruits that never made it or Wandale, drives us down in on roster rankings considerably. We are no better talentwise than our peers at this point.

Purdue 9 4+ stars on their roster. Illinous 8 4+ stars on their roster. NU 24 4+ Stars on their roster

• Plus1 1