The thing I still don't get...

Toe

3 hours ago, ndobney said:

I think if they can get a couple close wins they will get confidence and I can see it snowballing into something really. I think a lot of people see and is why people are willing to give Frost a little more time dispite his record

Unfortunately this has been the refrain for the past 4 years. Yes, the games are close, but that's because the other teams know that eventually Frost's teams will do something to screw it up and lose. That's the DNA of Frost's teams. You've been saying that's because of Adrian, and he's been a big part of it. I say it's an overall

problem with Frost's teams. It started with the Colorado game in 2018 and it has continued through Purdue in 2021. Frost has been the consistent factor in the losing. That's why I want him gone. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I've always wondered, was Bob Stoops that great or was John Blaked team just ready to turn the corner? Was Pelini that much better than Callahan or was the talent going to explode for 9 wins either way? 

Was Meyer really that much better than Fickell or did the wackiness of tatoogate really screw with the team. Or just Bauserman? 

Especially with quick turnarounds, there's no way to tell how the exited coach would have fared with the same talent. 

Good coaches are able to produce the quick turnarounds. They are able to take the existing talent and improve the team and make them winners. The good coaches get it done within 2-3 years, with the 4th year as a max. Some coaches inherit more talent than others, and that's when we see OU or Ohio State win natty's soon after a coaching change. If you are hoping that Frost is able to turn it around in year 5 or longer, you would be counting on an anomaly that hasn't happened historically. That's the foolish hope. That's why Frost should be fired. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
6 hours ago, ndobney said:

Good exactly why we need to give Frost more time. Once we turn the corner and learn how to win which we will this team can be scary good. Frost still has the best chance out of any viable coaching option I've seen to turn the program around. 

Costal Carolina and Cinci are 3&4 on the list. Two coaches we should go after. Chadwell and Finkell

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Unfortunately this has been the refrain for the past 4 years. Yes, the games are close, but that's because the other teams know that eventually Frost's teams will do something to screw it up and lose. That's the DNA of Frost's teams. You've been saying that's because of Adrian, and he's been a big part of it. I say it's an overall

problem with Frost's teams. It started with the Colorado game in 2018 and it has continued through Purdue in 2021. Frost has been the consistent factor in the losing. That's why I want him gone. 

This is a stretch. 

If any of the teams we’ve played could have blown us away, they would have. They aren’t purposely keeping it close till we screw up. 

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

But that isn't coaching. That is player execution plain and simple. Froet schemed up the perfect play to end the first half against Purdue. Frost couldn't through the pass, Lubick couldn't make the catch. That is all on the players. The coaches had them in the position to succeed.

Looking at the entire body of work, after nearly 4 seasons, the issues are systemic and very much on the coaching. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is a stretch. 

If any of the teams we’ve played could have blown us away, they would have. They aren’t purposely keeping it close till we screw up. 

It's not a stretch to say teams will play more conservative against Nebraska knowing they eventually NU will do something to screw it up. I've seen Purdue play a lot more aggressively in recent years, compared to what they did last Saturday. Brohm was content on grinding out the game, gaining 3 yards per carry, not taking significant risks offensively, until NU crapped the bed offensively in the 3rd quarter on Saturday. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

Honestly I think that is due to our talent level. We are getting out coached consistently but I think that this roster has equal or better talent than most teams we play thus are keeping themselves in games yet come up short. Here’s a statistic for you. If you count the canceled Wisconsin game, Frost is 0-8 after a bye week. Not one single win when you have two weeks to prepare for another team. That just floors me.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

This season comes down to offensive offensive line play in crucial moments. Opposing teams know exactly who to rush at during those times. He chokes more than the QB. Martinez just gets caught holding the ball.

It's been diagramed many times. Adrian Martinez makes poor decisions and overthrows even when the line holds, and fails to take advantage of wide open field when the pocket collapses. It happens to all quarterbacks, of course, but more often to Adrian. The same offensive line that provides a renewed running game for Rahmir Johnson and Jaquez Yant in the first half sees a different game plan in the second half. That's on coaching, not execution. This team shows what it CAN do against elite teams, but folds under pressure, and whether it's game-closing discipline or savvy adjustments and play-calling, you can't blame half the roster in order to let the coach off the hook. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ndobney said:

I think if they can get a couple close wins they will get confidence and I can see it snowballing into something really. I think a lot of people see and is why people are willing to give Frost a little more time dispite his record

This is exactly what I was thinking when Frost's team closed out the 2018 season 4-2, with solid wins and respectable losses. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Apathy said:

I honestly believe that it’s due to players not having the mindset and lack football IQ. 

Week in, week out, year after year we see the same penalties and turnovers happening at the most crucial times during games. 

It's pretty wild how overblown these things are in the minds of a lot of you. Meanwhile, back in reality, there's only been two games this season where we've had more penalty yards than our opponent, and heading into last week we were in the positive on turnover margin for the year...

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Toe said:

It's pretty wild how overblown these things are in the minds of a lot of you. Meanwhile, back in reality, there's only been two games this season where we've had more penalty yards than our opponent, and heading into last week we were in the positive on turnover margin for the year...

Overall, the penalties and turnover margin have improved, but it's the timing of the penalties and turnovers which are still leading to losses.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
7 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Adrian has also been a consistent factor as well. I mentioned this before cause I saw a couple other people use the term and I agree. I think Adrian has the yips. It's not uncommon in sports and it is fixable, not sure Adrian can but it is fixable. The thing about the yips it is contagious, other player then begin pressing to account for it and more mistakes like jumping offside happens and it snowballs. I am very convinced this is what's happening on the offensive side of things and it is very fixable, we may need to move on from Martinez, but I have seen enough improvement from the team as a whole that's I still have confidence in Frost.