The thing I still don't get...

Toe

25 minutes ago, admo said:

Minnesota is 6-2. 

Lost to Ohio State and Bowling Green.  They have 2-3 wins left on the table.

Purdue is 5-3.  On the verge of playing a bowl game.  They beat Nebraska, and also Iowa 24-7.

It's not the name or the history.  

Maybe credit these teams being good at football?

When you lose to every P5 team you play, regardless of how close you play them, it's called being terrible at football.

Arkansas and south carolina aren't getting credit for being doormats in a tough SEC. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thatguy said:

When you lose to every P5 team you play, regardless of how close you play them, it's called being terrible at football.

Arkansas and south carolina aren't getting credit for being doormats in a tough SEC. 

When you decide what terrible football is, look at teams getting a beat down every week.  Games over by half time.  That is not us, and we are not a terrible football team. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 3
3 minutes ago, admo said:

Yes, they doing what they got to do.  I don't blame them.

I also believe that we are our own worst enemy in football games.  I also believe we trip over ourselves too much that it makes a difference, between losing a game and winning a game. I do give credit to the teams we play who are just running the course.  We make too many mistakes on the field that keeps the games closer than they could be. 

We fail in crunch time.  It shouldn't always get to that point, but when it does we fail to take it over.

I'm not saying we are a bad team.  We are actually pretty dang good.  We have to move into a direction that when opportunity comes, we have to strike. We have to get into the end zone. 

Scores and stops.  Score points and keep points off the board.  It's the difference of 10+ points a game.  What you do in the moment makes all the difference.

I think Frost built a decent roster. I think we have the talent to beat every team in our division. I think Brohm, Chryst, Ferentz and Fleck have figured out how to beat Frost with less talent in close games. I don’t think our talent will get better, so I guess the question we ask ourselves is, will Frost figure out how to beat those coaches in close games or will they continue to have his number? I personally think 4 years of consistently falling short against those coaches will lead to a 5th featuring similar results. If you think in year 5 Frost changes into a coach he’s hasn’t able to be the previous 4 years then I could see why you would want him back. 

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, admo said:

When you decide what terrible football is, look at teams getting a beat down every week.  Games over by half time.  That is not us, and we are not a terrible football team. 

that's called having a terrible defense. that's not quite the same as having a terrible team.

its amazing to me how nebraska fans could ever justify being at the bottom of a conference 5 years in a row because other teams are supposedly playing better.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

I like this quote by Beckton (who is the 1 O staff guy I'd keep).  He gets "it".  Guys not grinding and fighting every play....I think this statement is telling.  Also goes with Frost's "nut cutting comment" when talking about AM stepping out of bounds on that 3rd down play.

» Beckton gave an illuminating, in-depth answer when asked about what the Husker offense could be doing better.

“We’ve got to play just a little bit harder across the board, and we’ve got to focus in a little bit harder across the board,” Beckton said. “Our lapses have been killing us. Quarterback, running back, tight ends, receivers, O-line. Our lapses have caused us not to execute on plays that we can basically have scored on. I can count four to five, every single week, if somebody plays a little bit harder, or somebody has a little bit more focus, we’re sitting here 8-1, 7-2, better season — particularly just on offense."

What does it mean to play harder?

“You’ve just got to grind, grind a little bit harder,” Beckton said. “I’m old-school, come from a background where I had to fight for everything I’ve got. We try to instill that in the tight ends, obviously, but I’m trying to instill that in everybody on this team. You’ve got to fight and grind, just a little bit harder. If I’m kick-sliding on a pass pro, I’ve got to kick slide just a little bit harder, a little bit more strength. Same thing on a pass rush, same thing driving on an out as a corner. All those things we’ve got to do just a little bit harder, against a team like (Ohio State), and we’re going to start seeing results, across the board.”

• Plus1 3

10 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I think Frost built a decent roster. I think we have the talent to beat every team in our division. I think Brohm, Chryst, Ferentz and Fleck have figured out how to beat Frost with less talent in close games. I don’t think our talent will get better, so I guess the question we ask ourselves is, will Frost figure out how to beat those coaches in close games or will they continue to have his number? I personally think 4 years of consistently falling short against those coaches will lead to a 5th featuring similar results. If you think in year 5 Frost changes into a coach he’s hasn’t able to be the previous 4 years then I could see why you would want him back. 

1. Personally, I would never have a QB more than a 2 year starter.  Unless he Justin Fields or Trevor Lawrence.

2. If the game dictates a slow, big ten style of "run, play-action, punt, and see how it goes" format, then you do the same, but better.  You take care of home games, you win on the road in the fourth quarter.  And you keep it simple.  Allow those other good (average?) teams make mistakes.  Big ten style.

I am not saying this fits the bill, but there have been wins on the table in this league.

• Haha 3
14 minutes ago, thatguy said:

that's called having a terrible defense. that's not quite the same as having a terrible team.

its amazing to me how nebraska fans could ever justify being at the bottom of a conference 5 years in a row because other teams are supposedly playing better.

This is just a boring, blanket statement.  You giving no resolution to fixing anything.  There is nothing amazing to what you supposedly feel. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, admo said:

1. Personally, I would never have a QB more than a 2 year starter.  Unless he Justin Fields or Trevor Lawrence.

2. If the game dictates a slow, big ten style of "run, play-action, punt, and see how it goes" format, then you do the same, but better.  You take care of home games, you win on the road in the fourth quarter.  And you keep it simple.  Allow those other good (average?) teams make mistakes.  Big ten style.

I am not saying this fits the bill, but there have been wins on the table in this league.

Here is a great article written after the  MSU game.  It speaks to what I feel has been the entirety of frost's tenure.  Maybe we are a good (average) team, but this article drives it home...And this statement.  Our identity....

It’s only Tucker’s second year in the league, but he knows the formula. Word gets around fast. All you have to do is play conservative and wait for the Huskers to muck things up. Works like a charm.

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/mel-tucker-figured-if-he-just-waited-long-enough-nebraska-o-line-and-special-teams-would-muck-it-up

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, admo said:

This is exactly what B1G teams have been doing to us for 4 years. I think the book on Frost is: Don't make mistakes, keep the game close, and Frost's team will fold like a lawn chair. I guess I am looking for a reason to think Frost's teams won't continue to do this? 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, lo country said:

Here is a great article written after the  MSU game.  It speaks to what I feel has been the entirety of frost's tenure.  Maybe we are a good (average) team, but this article drives it home...And this statement.  Our identity....

It’s only Tucker’s second year in the league, but he knows the formula. Word gets around fast. All you have to do is play conservative and wait for the Huskers to muck things up. Works like a charm.

https://www.si.com/college/nebraska/football/mel-tucker-figured-if-he-just-waited-long-enough-nebraska-o-line-and-special-teams-would-muck-it-up

Someone said to me a few weeks back that he didn't fear anyone remaining on the schedule. That was after the Michigan game. My response was that we have ourselves to fear. We are our own worst enemy. 

• Plus1 3

2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

This is exactly what B1G teams have been doing to us for 4 years. I think the book on Frost is: Don't make mistakes, keep the game close, and Frost's team will fold like a lawn chair. I guess I am looking for a reason to think Frost's teams won't continue to do this? 

This is what big ten football is.  It's boring AF.  This is why the west is kind of easy to win.  Play the part.  But be better than the opponent.  Punt the ball, play some defense.  Someone gon' make a mistake.  Hang in there.  Kick a field goal.  Win a game.  Have a great record.  -_-

I think Frost doesn't want to cave into that philosophy.  This exact game style mentality that the opponent coaches have (Minn, NW, Illinois, Iowa, Wisc, Purd). He wants to kick a$$ and be explosive, like ohio state.  Have a purpose and goal for championships, that is way bigger than the style and philosophy of  "win a big ten game, go to a bowl game".  I could be wrong, but that's what I get out of it.  Can you blame that?

Unfortunately, we show up on the s#!t end on saturdays. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, admo said:

This is what big ten football is.  It's boring AF.  This is why the west is kind of easy to win.  Play the part.  But be better than the opponent.  Punt the ball, play some defense.  Someone gon' make a mistake.  Hang in there.  Kick a field goal.  Win a game.  Have a great record.  -_-

I think Frost doesn't want to cave into that philosophy.  This exact game style mentality that the opponent coaches have (Minn, NW, Illinois, Iowa, Wisc, Purd). He wants to kick a$$ and be explosive, like ohio state.  Have a purpose and goal for championships, that is way bigger than the style and philosophy of  "win a big ten game, go to a bowl game".  I could be wrong, but that's what I get out of it.  Can you blame that?

Unfortunately, we show up on the s#!t end on saturdays. 

If the goal is to be the Ohio State of the west, you sure as sh1t won't get there trying yo be more like Iowa, which is what it sure sound like some posters want.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, admo said:

Be better than who?  Where is that coming from?  The 90's mentality?  That was forever ago.

Listen up, it aint easy winning because you won a lot of games 25 years ago.  Teams improve, programs get better. 

We been in games.  We don't win because we don't have a dagger mentality.

If I get a lead on you, I am going to strike the dagger in you, so that you no have hope.

The big ten (and across the college football board) play to a rhythm.  You got to have a dagger mentality and back it up.   Get a lead.  Dagger.  Game over.

We just don't got that yet.

What your'e saying is nothing I said, so... 

You’re saying Minnesota and Purdue are respectable bowl bound teams. I’m just saying why can’t Nebraska be like Minnesota and Purdue?

Too much to ask?

• Plus1 1