The thing I still don't get...

Toe

I will say this too though. I have often questioned why we get so conservative once we get within field goal range. We have no problem throwing for 15-20-30 yards from our side of the field, but once we get to the other side we get conservative, especially when we are in field goal range. I know Frost doesn't want to blow a scoring opportunity with a pick, but I haven't once seen us try to throw for a TD from 15-20-30 yards out, with the intent of getting a TD. Passes there have been short gains. Maybe this is on Martinez's decision making, not the play calling. IDK. It just doesn't seem to happen. 

If had terrible red zone offense, but great offense otherwise, I'd avoid the red zone, throw for a td as soon as you get to the 40. 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I will say this too though. I have often questioned why we get so conservative once we get within field goal range. We have no problem throwing for 15-20-30 yards from our side of the field, but once we get to the other side we get conservative, especially when we are in field goal range. I know Frost doesn't want to blow a scoring opportunity with a pick, but I haven't once seen us try to throw for a TD from 15-20-30 yards out, with the intent of getting a TD. Passes there have been short gains. Maybe this is on Martinez's decision making, not the play calling. IDK. It just doesn't seem to happen. 

If had terrible red zone offense, but great offense otherwise, I'd avoid the red zone, throw for a td as soon as you get to the 40. 

Frost doesn't true Martinez to make the right decision, and Martinez is hesitant to be aggressive throwing the ball and make a mistake.  NU has rarely thrown the ball "into the end zone" this year.  I think it's a combination of the 2 factors I mentioned above, and is a huge reason why the offense bogs down in the red zone.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Frost doesn't true Martinez to make the right decision, and Martinez is hesitant to be aggressive throwing the ball and make a mistake.  NU has rarely thrown the ball "into the end zone" this year.  I think it's a combination of the 2 factors I mentioned above, and is a huge reason why the offense bogs down in the red zone.

I think it's actually just another  indicator of how poor the offensive line is.  Lots of offenses can move the ball between the 20s.  Once the field shrinks, it's tough to rely on play design alone to get yards and becomes more about winning 1 on 1 battles, whether blocking or receiving.  Our offensive line rarely wins, and they certainly don't do it consistently.  Martinez deserves blame, but I still think it comes down to how poor Austin and his OL room have been.

• Plus1 2
28 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Just curious here.  What do you think will change by Frost needing one more year?  Just an honest question.

That's a leading question. I didn't insinuate that I feel confident anything will change - but it could.

I think he needs one more year because the buyout is pretty steep as-is after this year and to see if some of these young offensively linemen can be shaped into a good product.

We also have a good potential "thunder & lighting" combo at RB with Johnson & Yant, and also we've got some talented wide receivers coming back (Manning, Martin, Betts, Brown).

I think there'd be a mass exodus into the transfer portal if he gets fired after this season. With all of these factors combined, I believe our chances of a 7 win season under Frost next year are actually higher than with a different coach coming out of the realistic pool of coaches that I think we could actually get in here for 2022.

Now if by some complete miracle Alberts has a PROVEN and seasoned Power 5 head coach lined up to come in and take over, I won't be upset if Scott gets canned after this season. We're on a trajectory for 4-8 and 5-7 at best, so he definitely deserves to be fired...just not sure it's actually the best move.

10 minutes ago, Undone said:

That's a leading question. I didn't insinuate that I feel confident anything will change - but it could.

I think he needs one more year because the buyout is pretty steep as-is after this year and to see if some of these young offensively linemen can be shaped into a good product.

We also have a good potential "thunder & lighting" combo at RB with Johnson & Yant, and also we've got some talented wide receivers coming back (Manning, Martin, Betts, Brown).

I think there'd be a mass exodus into the transfer portal if he gets fired after this season. With all of these factors combined, I believe our chances of a 7 win season under Frost next year are actually higher than with a different coach coming out of the realistic pool of coaches that I think we could actually get in here for 2022.

Now if by some complete miracle Alberts has a PROVEN and seasoned Power 5 head coach lined up to come in and take over, I won't be upset if Scott gets canned after this season. We're on a trajectory for 4-8 and 5-7 at best, so he definitely deserves to be fired...just not sure it's actually the best move.

That is almost exactly where I'm at.  Sure, given the record and everything he deserves to be fired.  I just don't think it is the best decision for this year to do it.  Given everything else that goes into a decision like this.  Culture rebuild, talent rebuild, schedule, etc.

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, Undone said:

Depending on the replacement coach.  There could be a mass exodus if Frost stays by those who wish not to be a part of a 5th losing season. They have all "Seen This Movie Before" .   A new coach, if announced immediately after firing Frost, could come here and stabalize the situation and explain to the players where they would fit in his systems and give them some confidence of good things ahead. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

There could be a mass exodus if Frost stays by those who wish not to be a part of a 5th losing season. They have all "Seen This Movie Before" .

Could be. But the COVID year is over, and a lot of the guys that you'd probably list out as being the ones that would want to transfer are on the younger side who wouldn't be eligible for grad transfers.

And unless I've missed any new rule updates, those players not eligible for a grad transfer would have to sit out a year.

Manning & Martin might be eligible there, not sure on their degree status honestly.

What if either Haarberg or Smothers turn out to be pretty good?  And because they're less tested, you design a high percentage offense around them and see what their strengths are. Neither seems afraid to run, but you don't need them to be a Running Quarterback, just an opportunist when the situation arises. And you give Adrian's carries to the two young running backs who emerged from the pack, and use those same RBs as receivers in your new high-percentage offense. The OL is at least a little better. The defense has some holes to fill. Special teams get prioritized. Schedule is easier. It could work.

I'm not against seeing if Scott Frost can show improvement next year. If there's a portal exodus and recruiting funk, it means a culture failure that might be too deep to crawl out of. We need to know that the returning players believe in Scott, and us outsiders probably won't get an honest answer while the games are being played. I'm guessing Trev Alberts has already taken that temperature and will base his decision on it. 

13 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

Keeping him for one year of "progress". is wasted on our program.

another year of failure is unnecessary.

I have almost completely lost faith in Frost's ability to get out of his own way. Almost, but not completely. But I'm saying I understand your argument and it's a decent one.

But just as a quick trip down memory lane, we see how bringing in a coach lacking Power 5 college football head coaching success has screwed us before.

The emotional, feel-good move after the past couple games is to say "fire Frost no matter what."

But you have to look at who Alberts might have lined up. Many of the names that have been thrown out on this board have sounded pretty much not worth it to me for 2022. But again, if you get that proven guy with the big name - that could really make it worth it to make the move now.

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

you design a high percentage offense around them and see what their strengths are. Neither seems afraid to run, but you don't need them to be a Running Quarterback, just an opportunist when the situation arises. And you give Adrian's carries to the two young running backs who emerged from the pack, and use those same RBs as receivers in your new high-percentage offense.

It's just so hilariously frustrating because this describes exactly what I thought we should have done this year.

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Are you suggesting what I think you're suggesting? That I should be the next head coach at Nebraska? 

You got this!

If you make me offensive coordinator I'll move Martinez to running back where he will at random take direct snaps and then throw the ball.

The play will be called "WTF 62 Brain Aneurysm Strike."

• Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

impossible, we literally don't fear failure. In fact we embrace it

• Plus1 2

If you look at this from the other end:

If Scott Frost is fired, does another P5 program pick him up as a head coach?

If you were that school's fanbase, would you consider it a bad choice given almost any other option?

If you look at the Comments section of OWH and LJS articles, it appears a majority of the Husker fanbase thinks the firing would be a huge mistake, fueled by a$$h@!e sports reporters and fans who don't understand what makes Nebraska special. They are also worried about what the rest of college football would think if we fire another coach. They don't seem to realize college football is already wondering how much failure we're willing to tolerate.