Why I Would Keep Frost For 2022

BIG ERN

The schedule thing is overblown.  This schedule had some good teams but we are ranked 18th for SoS in 2021. Lots of teams with good records with harder schedules, including Purdue. 2009 was actually the hardest at #5 overall per this ranking.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other?date=2010-01-08

I know you want it to work, but it's not going to happen.  Giving him next year would be a mistake.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Frost and this team delegitimized the close MSU and UM games by blowing Minny and Purdue.  We believed we were turning a corner, blew out Northwestern and should've beaten two upper tier B1G teams.

The program is a farce under Frost.  I hate writing it but it is true.  We HAD to win those two games to salvage the season, recruits, and hope.

Frost and his staff blew it.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

While the OP had valid points “on paper” we should have been winning our division “on paper”.  But results are measured on the field and in 4 years Frost has shown he does not have answers and doesn’t measure up.  His post game press conference was enough evidence   

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Frost is 6-15 against the Big Ten West. 10-25 vs P5 competition. It's been a disaster since day 1.

He has upgraded the roster, enough to lose close to the better teams, but the same problems occur year after year. I don't see much progress outside of a deeper roster.

• Plus1 4

@BIG ERN I will have to say that you make a valid argument.  We did play some top tier teams to the wire.  And lost to some, IMHO, we should not have.  For me, it comes down to what is, not what could be or should be.  Based on metrics alone, I do not see any area where we have improved in 4 years that we have been deficient in every year.  I do not think Frost has the answers.  I was really high on getting him when we were looking to fire Bo.  He wasn't experienced enough then. I really think he and NU would have benefited with him getting some more time under his belt.  The B1G is a meat grinder.  It has some of the better coaches top to bottom than most leagues and it shows.  At one time, 5 were in the top 10.....

He brought with him his entire staff.  Allegedly, this is why UF didn't take him.  They wanted him, not his staff. So we get a a really young staff, with little to know experience as coaches or coordinators in a bigger pond.  With things start to go sideways, who does he ask?  Ruud who never coached before NU?  Verduzco?  Lubbick, who has been out of coaching....NU and the B1G isn't a place to learn on the fly. And it's showing.  I mentioned years ago, that Bo faced the same issues.  He had some experience (Ron, Barney), but Paps and Carl as DC.....Beck as OC......Again learning on the job and no one to lean on with experience.  Yes, Frost "has" TO, but he is not there every day in Frost's ear.  Does Frost have a guy that says not running the rhino package at Minnie was stupid on the goal line.....Don't play an injured AM.........etc.......I don't think he does. 

Unfortunately, it hasn't worked. I don't think it will.  

• Haha 1
50 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Let me preface. Scott Frost has been disappointing, obviously. I did say whoever we hired in 2018 should get 5 years regardless of the results unless we were winning 2 games a year and losing by 30+ this and previous seasons. I know we all hate the close losses, but it does show improvement whether people want to admit it. Teams who can 'break through' usually have close losses the year prior and show a good SO/JR class - which we have. I give him the ultimatum of a bowl game or he is 100% let go. I think even himself would agree with that at this point. 

1. 2021 is the toughest schedule Nebraska has ever had that I'm aware of - the only game that is complete garbage is losing to Illinois in the opener. No excuses for that one. I do think we are a slightly better or on par with Minnesota (starts 5 SR O-lineman) and Purdue (who has 2 All-Americans). We beat the other 3 teams who we clearly are better than Buffalo, Fordham, Northwestern. We still have to play a top 5 Ohio St team, and more than likely a 8-3 ranked Iowa team and ranked 7-3 Wisconsin. 

2. The free covid year helped all teams including Nebraska, but I think next year will be a tougher step for any team as the B10 is loaded with 5th/6th year seniors and 4th/5th year juniors this season. Taking away transfers and draft status Nebraska can return 10/11 offensive starters. Losing Toure will hurt but we still have some solid WR behind him along with TE Allen, Voke and will add in a big playmaker in Fidone. The offensive line started 2-3 freshman this season and having them all back only helps as it is hard to be an OL as a young player especially in the B10. RB is still up in the air but Johnson and Yant have been decent the last few weeks, get Ervin back and a full year of Stepp. Can also look for a transfer or juco possibly. The main question mark is obviously Martinez. Does he come back? Do we want him to come back? If not, do we need a transfer or can Smothers/Haarberg take that step? 

3. The defense loses some key pieces but the main core remains. JoJo, D Will, Dismuke, Stille and I assume CTB are gone. I feel real good about the 3 Nebraska kids in Reimer, Henrich and Nelson. Robinson, Rogers, D Thomas, Daniels can all return. Maybe another year Riley helps him as well and we haven't seen Hutmacher yet. Payne, Tannor, Kolaravic and even maybe Honas return at LB as well. The secondary to me could be shaky and I think we for sure look at transfers and juco market there, Farmer and Newsome have a good amount of experience at this point. 

4. The 2022 schedule lines up to have more wins as we drop Ohio St and Michigan St and replace with Rutgers and Indiana. Our bye week is also after game 6 and not game 7 before heading to Ann Arbor. We have a real chance to start 5-2 or 6-1. 

5. Fire Greg Austin and there is no doubt the offense line improves which is vital to any teams success. There are some rumblings of not retaining Held or Coach Verdu, but I would keep Held for now and replace a special team coordinator in Verdu's spot. 

Will he be able to overcome the close losses to stupid plays and penalties? Maybe not. But I think if we can look good next year there could be some good success in the near future. The only somewhat intriguing realistic as of now HC candidates to me would be Chadwell from Coastal Carolina or Josh Gattis the OC from Michigan. Bill O'Brien would be an okay hire if possible. Fickell isn't coming here. Campbell isn't coming here. Some random NFL coach isn't coming here. To me the only coach that I could see that possibly would take the job and I would be okay with at this point is Chris Petersen. I wanted Nebraska to go after him hard in 2015 and we settled for Riley. 

With that said I hope Frost gets one more season even though I see why some don't think he deserves it. Gets to 8-4 and we start to look like a football team. He has proven that our guys have gotten bigger and stronger than 2015 and that we can compete with anyone, literally. Just can we win against anyone? That's the question. 

Oklahoma 8-0 

Michigan St 8-0

Ohio St 8-0

Michigan 7-1 

Minnesota is about to 7-2 and has a chance to win the West 

Wisconsin will be ranked when we play them and more than likely wins the division again

Purdue is 5-3 and has played actually pretty well this year  

Iowa will be ranked when we play them and could be or 9-2 or 8-3 when we play 

Played 3 top 10 teams far all who still have a chance at the playoff to 1 score. I get these aren't wins, but he has proven we can play. Now gotta fix the dumb stuff and win some of those games. I think he can. 

#GBR

You make a pretty solid case.  I would like to see Frost retained and some new faces on the offensive staff and yes, a ST coach.  Plus a transfer QB who's a good passer.  Adrian is talented and a great person, we just need to move on at some point.  Maybe it still doesn't work.  Maybe it does.   But, I would like to see it.

• Plus1 1

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2F247sports.com%2Fcollege%2Fnebraska%2FArticle%2FNebraska-Huskers-football-coach-Scott-Frost-on-job-speculation-rumors-174339230%2F&h=AT0N2KadvXj-KeijIfC7ss2nTDpe69bwpVRXCBdJswpFQooX4itIJrNaoEGszkkI0NwLfOXtX6XzEL4VbJnDB-c6x99Gsh8Yngc-gsjY24Z848fICnKUicV6jXLAjvOiPGD135SpdLZsTUCnxMyZHCKE&s=1

Read this article and tell me if you think for a minute that Frost plans on making any coaching changes. He does not see that doing the exact same thing and expecting different results is insanity. I wish Frost would see that coaching changes are needed as our talent is not being developed properly. Unfortunately, Frost is not going to change a thing and he will insist that winning is around the corner. Of course we all see that this corner is never ending. 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2F247sports.com%2Fcollege%2Fnebraska%2FArticle%2FNebraska-Huskers-football-coach-Scott-Frost-on-job-speculation-rumors-174339230%2F&h=AT0N2KadvXj-KeijIfC7ss2nTDpe69bwpVRXCBdJswpFQooX4itIJrNaoEGszkkI0NwLfOXtX6XzEL4VbJnDB-c6x99Gsh8Yngc-gsjY24Z848fICnKUicV6jXLAjvOiPGD135SpdLZsTUCnxMyZHCKE&s=1

Read this article and tell me if you think for a minute that Frost plans on making any coaching changes. He does not see that doing the exact same thing and expecting different results is insanity. I wish Frost would see that coaching changes are needed as our talent is not being developed properly. Unfortunately, Frost is not going to change a thing and he will insist that winning is around the corner. Of course we all see that this corner is never ending. 

I read it and didn't get any impression either way on what he may do in regards to coaching changes.  At this point in the season, there's no good reason for him to even vaguely address this.  He did get rid of Walters, so it's not like he can't stomach coaching changes or anything like that.

If Frost is retained, and at this point I'm about 70% that he will, I would be astonished if there were no staff changes.

I don’t know. At some point, he won’t have Martinez to latch on to, but there will be another. And I like Adrian. But the scouting report is out on him. Once he goes down the well, he’s staying there and things will only get worse.  He is also horrible inside of 2 minutes. 

Frost is slowly fixing the glaring holes, the kicking game is getting better and I think he made some good things there. Special team are almost not horribly tragic. But leaving in a floundering Amart is cruel to everyone, including Adrian. Frost seems to have this mystical idea that Adrian deserves a statement win. It’s like he’s watched too many Disney movies where the hero always wins in the end. 

And if the scouting report out on Adrian, it’s out on Frost too. He’s so predictable. I’ve hated every coaching change. Because I hate the unknown, but I’m perfect with Frost being canned. Won’t be regretful at all because there have been few good moments, almost no great moments and a whole lotta talk. 

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I read it and didn't get any impression either way on what he may do in regards to coaching changes.  At this point in the season, there's no good reason for him to even vaguely address this.  He did get rid of Walters, so it's not like he can't stomach coaching changes or anything like that.

If Frost is retained, and at this point I'm about 70% that he will, I would be astonished if there were no staff changes.

He defends his coaches and says they are doing everything they can. Do you believe Verduzco and Greg Austin are doing well? How about Dawson and special teams? Frost is loyal to his coaches and to Martinez. He would rather go down with the sinking boat than fix the damn boat.

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

He defends his coaches and says they are doing everything they can. Do you believe Verduzco and Greg Austin are doing well? How about Dawson and special teams? Frost is loyal to his coaches and to Martinez. He would rather go down with the sinking boat than fix the damn boat.

I don’t think anyone on the offensive staff, except possibly Becton, is doing a good job.  That’s why I’m near 100% sure Frost will make changes if he gets a chance to.  But the article told me nothing in regards to potential staff changes.  

• Plus1 1