Why I Would Keep Frost For 2022

BIG ERN

So on the eve of another Husker loss, I read stuff from people who say Frost needs time.  I see a bunch of excuses of why he couldn't get to bowl, again.  

I will try to be objective and see if there is any improvement in the areas that have killed us.

OL play

QB decisions

I really want to see if HCSF is coaching or reacting.  I would be curious to know from people who go to the games.  Is he actually coaching?

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

So on the eve of another Husker loss, I read stuff from people who say Frost needs time.  I see a bunch of excuses of why he couldn't get to bowl, again.  

I will try to be objective and see if there is any improvement in the areas that have killed us.

OL play

QB decisions

I really want to see if HCSF is coaching or reacting.  I would be curious to know from people who go to the games.  Is he actually coaching?

We are probably the best 3-6, soon to be 3-7 team in America. I am confident in that.

• Plus1 1

If Frost ends up getting let go, and there’s enough reason to do so, then I hope one of the first questions asked at the presser is why in the hell did a 7 year contract get approved when he was hired?  Did they not consider what has transpired in regards to his abysmal W/L record as a possibility?   How does a near unprecedented 7 year contract not scream “take your time “?  

If there was any sense of urgency with HCSF, he may  have made coaching changes last year.   I’m guessing he figured he was safe at least through 5.  

So if he’s canned, then the 7 year deal was a big “F” up that Chancellor Green needs to show some accountability for, IMO.  

3 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

If Frost ends up getting let go, and there’s enough reason to do so, then I hope one of the first questions asked at the presser is why in the hell did a 7 year contract get approved when he was hired?  Did they not consider what has transpired in regards to his abysmal W/L record as a possibility?   How does a near unprecedented 7 year contract not scream “take your time “?  

If there was any sense of urgency with HCSF, he may  have made coaching changes last year.   I’m guessing he figured he was safe at least through 5.  

So if he’s canned, then the 7 year deal was a big “F” up that Chancellor Green needs to show some accountability for, IMO.  

I can understand the thought of Frost getting the time to make it work, but there also has to be some progress in the form of winning games.  That's not happening, and the team is not showing what it takes to win games, and Frost doesn't have the answer.  That's why Frost needs to go in my opinion.

• Fire 1

34 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I can understand the thought of Frost getting the time to make it work, but there also has to be some progress in the form of winning games.  That's not happening, and the team is not showing what it takes to win games, and Frost doesn't have the answer.  That's why Frost needs to go in my opinion.

I'm thinking that if Frost is retained, what kind of commitments will be get from the 2023 recruiting class?  The 2022 recruiting class is looking pretty thin.  What quality recruit will commit to a coach who is on the hot seat all of next year?

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree about the winning and understand why many are calling for a change.   But I’m asking why 7 vs the standard 5 year deal?   If we fire him, and maybe that’s the right choice, then NU and their 7 year deal essentially was misleading Coach by giving the impression that plenty of time was going to be allowed to right the ship.  

6 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I agree about the winning and understand why many are calling for a change.   But I’m asking why 7 vs the standard 5 year deal?   If we fire him, and maybe that’s the right choice, then NU and their 7 year deal essentially was misleading Coach by giving the impression that plenty of time was going to be allowed to right the ship.  

So your saying because he had a long contract he did not try as hard to turn the program around as aggressively as he could? He was taking his time 

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

If we fire him, and maybe that’s the right choice, then NU and their 7 year deal essentially was misleading Coach by giving the impression that plenty of time was going to be allowed to right the ship.  

That isn't misleading the coach. He still has security in the buyout provisions of the contract.  I don't know the details of the contract, but there also may have been  expectations placed on the coach for a certain level of progress.  :dunno

To add to this, there is probably clauses in the contract where the buyout provisions are voided due to NCAA infractions.  It will be interesting to see if Trev were Trev goes with this.  

3 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

So your saying because he had a long contract he did not try as hard to turn the program around as aggressively as he could? He was taking his time 

Not what I said.  But a 7 year deal (vs the standard 5) gives the impression of getting longer to “rebuild.”  So my point why did we even do it?   If we’re firing after 4 based on W/L, then a 5 year deal would have been better.   IMO a shorter initial contact provides for a better sense of urgency.  

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

That isn't misleading the coach. He still has security in the buyout provisions of the contract.  I don't know the details of the contract, but there also may have been  expectations placed on the coach for a certain level of progress.  :dunno

Then why do a 7 year contract?   What additional “value “ was sought?

13 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Then why do a 7 year contract?   What additional “value “ was sought?

a 7 year contract signals a commitment of resources, it sends a signal to recruits.  The guarantied money (salary plus any buyout) helps Frost to make the decision to come here and rebuild vs taking an 'easier' job elsewhere - esp in recruit heavy SEC.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, TGHusker said:

a 7 year contract signals a commitment of resources, it sends a signal to recruits.  The guarantied money (salary plus any buyout) helps Frost to make the decision to come here and rebuild vs taking an 'easier' job elsewhere - esp in recruit heavy SEC.  

A recruit is there for 4-5 and 5 year contacts often get renewed annually so there’s always 4-5 left.  We’ve been told this is to reassure recruits.  So how is 7 better?  
I think the 7 year for HCSF was to show him we were giving him more time than the norm to rebuild.   There’s a good case to be made that 2020 shouldn’t “count “ as far as expectations go.  Remember we didn’t get a spring session.  So one could argue we fired him ( if it happens) after 3 “normal “ years.  

16 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Not what I said.  But a 7 year deal (vs the standard 5) gives the impression of getting longer to “rebuild.”  So my point why did we even do it?   If we’re firing after 4 based on W/L, then a 5 year deal would have been better.   IMO a shorter initial contact provides for a better sense of urgency.  

Nature of the business now days. Jimbo got a 10 year, Schiano got a 8 year, Drinkwitz got 6 years, Klieman got extended out 6 years, Brohm extended out 7 years, Saban extended out 8 years, Gundy signed an extensions where he will never be under 5 years. You do it to show support and allow coaches to sell the program appropriately. Sense of urgency doesn't need to be disclosed in this line of work. 

• Thanks 2
1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Nature of the business now days. Jimbo got a 10 year, Schiano got a 8 year, Drinkwitz got 6 years, Klieman got extended out 6 years, Brohm extended out 7 years, Saban extended out 8 years, Gundy signed an extensions where he will never be under 5 years. You do it to show support and allow coaches to sell the program appropriately. Sense of urgency doesn't need to be disclosed in this line of work. 

Good answer.  Stated better than what I could have said.