Could Myles Brennan save Frost's job?

26 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

IDK if anyone heard Gary Sharp yesterday, but he referenced a convo with a source that's "at practice everyday"....

Gary: Tell me about Smothers

Insider: Not gonna happen, not ready, not the guy. Offensive staff hopes Haarberg is the guy, but he hasn't developed quick enough.

Okay...so why again is Smothers #2 on the depth chart then? Especially since Haarberg hasn't played (IIRC) and is under four games (to keep his redshirt intact)?

I guess...what QB *is* ready behind Martinez, and if it's 'none of the above', isn't that pretty damning for Verduzco and the Offensive staff?

• Plus1 2

16 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

Can’t remember if it was a 247 writer or a Rivals writer, but back when Luke transferred, one of them quickly shut down the speculation that Luke may have left because we asked him to change positions. Said Luke was still far and away the #2 QB here and the staff wouldn’t have asked him to be a gadget guy.

Sounds like Haarberg does have some real potential though at least.

That's the case, Martinez the best option. Still, it'd be worth it for him to have an opportunity to prove himself I'd think and gain experience. Those kind of opportunities have been rare. Haarberg has a very high ceiling though isn't ready. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Perhaps not... perhaps during his meeting with Trev, his argument is that he's going to get a new QB, like Brennan or Rattler, and Trev says, "OK, if you're able to land him, I'll give you one more year."

In the end, it's all too much of a risk. Brennan's biggest problem is that he's been injury-prone. One big hit, and then what? 

That would be stupid.  It would take time possibly for that to happen.  If Trev is going to make a change, it needs to be immediately after the season so he can start the hiring process, get someone in and they can start putting their staff together and recruiting.

2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Still needs to...When your coach is still trying to learn how to coach in the B1G, 4 years after starting to coach in the B1G. That's an issue. 

For better or worse, I’d say the first two years were not spent learning, but more waiting for his system to take hold and get us rolling over everybody else.  I think 13-0 and COTY contributed to this sort of stubbornness.  Even though he has since been humbled, it should have been plainly apparent to him in 2018 that he was going to have to do the adjusting.   Not the B1G.  

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Okay...so why again is Smothers #2 on the depth chart then? Especially since Haarberg hasn't played (IIRC) and is under four games (to keep his redshirt intact)?

I guess...what QB *is* ready behind Martinez, and if it's 'none of the above', isn't that pretty damning for Verduzco and the Offensive staff?

I mean your second point is reality. Smothers knows the playbook but isn't good enough. Haarberg *might be* good enough but is still learning the in's and out's. They don't have a good plan after AM, and refused to bring in anyone to directly compete with him. It's damning for Verdu and even more damning for Frost. 

• Plus1 1

In most situations, I would want a Head coach who focuses on the whole team-- Get a strong O-coordinator and D-coordinator and help support them.

With that in mind, Frost has been awful with in game coaching decisions.. so not sure I really want him doing that.

Maybe if he brings in a QB who can hit a wide open WR-- Certainly a lot fo the struggles are on how bad Adrian has been but I still dont have faith on the system or decisions even with an above-average QB.

So no. I dont really care who Frost brings in at this point. I have seen enough to prefer we just move on all together and the next coach can find his QB in the transfer portal.

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, knapplc said:

They're sticking with Martinez. 

Probably should have made a new thread for this, huh?

For the rest of this season? It makes sense. He's almost certainly our best option, especially whens he's booming and not busting. I'd be curious to see how they feel going into next year, if they get another season. Or how Martinez feels about coming back.

33 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I mean your second point is reality. Smothers knows the playbook but isn't good enough. Haarberg *might be* good enough but is still learning the in's and out's. They don't have a good plan after AM, and refused to bring in anyone to directly compete with him. It's damning for Verdu and even more damning for Frost. 

I think this would be another "metric" in the not going to work out column......How can we be in year 4 of a major FBS program and we have nada at QB.  If we were to ask the same question regrading the RB, I think it would have similar comments....

• Plus1 1

34 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

200.gif

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

I think this would be another "metric" in the not going to work out column......How can we be in year 4 of a major FBS program and we have nada at QB.  If we were to ask the same question regrading the RB, I think it would have similar comments....

Well, lets see.. Backup QB #1 in year 1, Tristan Gebbia bolted as soon as he lost the starting job leaving the team in a lurch and without a backup QB. Noah Vedral was brought in as a transfer, but the NCAA jacked around and didn't approve his eligibility until late in the year. No transfer QB was pursued then because we had Martinez and Vedral. 

Backup QB #2 Noah Vedral decided to transfer after the 2019 season after being beaten out for #1 and questions as to whether he had been beaten out for #3 by McCaffery. No transfer was brought in because we had both Martinez and McCaffery who Frost thought were pretty equal in talent (at least he claimed).

Backup #3 Luke McCaffery bolted after being handed the reins, given every opportunity to win the job and failed. Frost coddled him as much as humanly possible to get him to stay too, didn't work. - I fully believe he's the future at QB, We have co- #1's at qb. blah blah.

Backup # is now Logan Smothers. A redshirt freshman who still has 4 years of eligibility. One could argue Frost should have brought in a graduate transfer to serve as a one year backup- but why waste time and energy coaching another backup who is just going to transfer and not do the program any good in the long run anyway. 

Frost also probably wanted to avoid dividing the locker room as we had heard rumors of with McCaffery, believing team unity and a serviceable redshirt freshman backup was an even trade. This way the QB who actually wants to be here long term gets the #2 reps in practice and you're building him for the future rather than to have him transfer to another team. 

That's how you end up where we are at QB. You get burned by three consecutive #2 qb's and decide coaching up the next long term solution is better than wasting time and resources on someone else who will likely burn you when they don't win the #1 spot. - Even if the next long term solution isn't fully ready to be "the guy," now.

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Well, lets see.. Backup QB #1 in year 1, Tristan Gebbia bolted as soon as he lost the starting job leaving the team in a lurch and without a backup QB. Noah Vedral was brought in as a transfer, but the NCAA jacked around and didn't approve his eligibility until late in the year. No transfer QB was pursued then because we had Martinez and Vedral. 

Backup QB #2 Noah Vedral decided to transfer after the 2019 season after being beaten out for #1 and questions as to whether he had been beaten out for #3 by McCaffery. No transfer was brought in because we had both Martinez and McCaffery who Frost thought were pretty equal in talent (at least he claimed).

Backup #3 Luke McCaffery bolted after being handed the reins, given every opportunity to win the job and failed. Frost coddled him as much as humanly possible to get him to stay too, didn't work. - I fully believe he's the future at QB, We have co- #1's at qb. blah blah.

Backup # is now Logan Smothers. A redshirt freshman who still has 4 years of eligibility. One could argue Frost should have brought in a graduate transfer to serve as a one year backup- but why waste time and energy coaching another backup who is just going to transfer and not do the program any good in the long run anyway. 

Frost also probably wanted to avoid dividing the locker room as we had heard rumors of with McCaffery, believing team unity and a serviceable redshirt freshman backup was an even trade. This way the QB who actually wants to be here long term gets the #2 reps in practice and you're building him for the future rather than to have him transfer to another team. 

That's how you end up where we are at QB. You get burned by three consecutive #2 qb's and decide coaching up the next long term solution is better than wasting time and resources on someone else who will likely burn you when they don't win the #1 spot. - Even if the next long term solution isn't fully ready to be "the guy," now.

Frost ghosting Gebbia for a couple weeks when he first started didnt help. But oh well that is in the past. 

• Plus1 4
13 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Well at this point I would do one of two things.

1. Burn Smothers redshirt and let him finish the last 3 games to get experience going forward. Part ties with Martinez.

2. Let Martinez finish out the year so you still have 4 years of Smothers at QB.

Frost seems to be going with option 3 sink with Martinez, and bring him back another year as well.

Frost says Smothers they aren't looking to redshirt him and seems like he is getting better but isn't there yet. This is the end of his 2nd full season. Maybe we need to take a serious look at the QB coach as well.