Remember When Frost Passed On Joe Burrow For Martinez?

IUHusker

The moral of this story is that Mario Verduzco has pulled the greatest heist over this university and state in the history of this progrum.  Guy's resume is bloated with s#!t positions at local community colleges and D2-D3 jobs, UCF was his highest position by far before arriving in Lincoln.  QB guru my a$$- someone send this guy on a one way flight to cuba so he can smoke all of his dumb AF cigars he wants.

2AM has arguable regressed after stepping foot on campus.

Logan Smothers, the #4 dual threat QB in his class- who knows wtf is the deal with him but clearly must not have progressed given he cant surpass a guy who's lead the f'n country in total turnovers the past 4 years.  

AND YET, Frosty, who was the QB coach for a god damn heisman winner in Marriota- cant seem to just own this position/coaching group?!?! 

I'm in the camp of giving frosty another year but I'll be damned if its year I still see that clown Verduzco on this staff when that coaching position could go to, o i dunno, maybe a dedicated ST coach to address our embarrassing as hell special teams.

There are so many small broken things holding this team back- perhaps the biggest indictment is Frostys compelted inability to manage people and a staff. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I would have preferred that Frost bring in one transfer QB who could actually push or compete with Adrian for the starting job, or actually be a competent backup who could come in when Adrian is struggling, as he did against Purdue, or is injured, as he was against Minnesota.

So Smothers isn't a competent backup? That's a serious question cause Idk it was my understanding he was doing well and if he is and they aren't trying to redshirt him, then Frost had one and failed to utilize him. The reason I'm asking is I do support Frost getting more time but I think this QB situation is potentially a viable reason to replace him, but I would prefer not to start over with a new coach if we can as I am seeing good stuff on defense I like the wr and TEs and Yant is looking good. Heck Frost has drawn up some great plays to get receivers wide open down field but Martinez has missed them consistently

27 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Logan Smothers, the #4 dual threat QB in his class- who knows wtf is the deal with him but clearly must not have progressed given he cant surpass a guy who's lead the f'n country in total turnovers the past 4 years.  

AND YET, Frosty, who was the QB coach for a god damn heisman winner in Marriota- cant seem to just own this position/coaching group?!?! 

I'm in the camp of giving frosty another year but I'll be damned if its year I still see that clown Verduzco on this staff when that coaching position could go to, o i dunno, maybe a dedicated ST coach to address our embarrassing as hell special teams.

There are so many small broken things holding this team back- perhaps the biggest indictment is Frostys compelted inability to manage people and a staff. 

People keep saying this but how would anyone even begin to know exactly what Smothers can do given the limited reps he's been given????  There have been other depth chart casualties or guys who seemingly have disappeared production wise already this year so I guess normally you'd 'trust the coaches' as to why those are/have happened but with the offensive staff (minus Sean Beckton) I personally can't.

I also remember Frost saying earlier this year that if Adrian couldn't go then he was confident that Smothers was ready to.

25 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

The moral of this story is that Mario Verduzco has pulled the greatest heist over this university and state in the history of this progrum.  Guy's resume is bloated with s#!t positions at local community colleges and D2-D3 jobs, UCF was his highest position by far before arriving in Lincoln.  QB guru my a$$- someone send this guy on a one way flight to cuba so he can smoke all of his dumb AF cigars he wants.

2AM has arguable regressed after stepping foot on campus.

I agree with this. I am more along the lines two more years. Want to see a least one more year with a different QB if Martinez comes back, and instead of firing everyone fire guys on the offensive side first including line coach

31 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

The moral of this story is that Mario Verduzco has pulled the greatest heist over this university and state in the history of this progrum. 

I don't know about the greatest, but its definitely up there with that bozo that Riley brought in as a Special teams coordinator... I can't remember his name but our special teams were a dumpster fire and he was making $500k a year 

30 minutes ago, ndobney said:

So Smothers isn't a competent backup? That's a serious question cause Idk it was my understanding he was doing well and if he is and they aren't trying to redshirt him, then Frost had one and failed to utilize him. The reason I'm asking is I do support Frost getting more time but I think this QB situation is potentially a viable reason to replace him, but I would prefer not to start over with a new coach if we can as I am seeing good stuff on defense I like the wr and TEs and Yant is looking good. Heck Frost has drawn up some great plays to get receivers wide open down field but Martinez has missed them consistently

My point about Smothers not being a "competent backup" is based on the fact that he hasn't been used as an injury or performance replacement for Martinez this year.  There must be such a sizable gap between Martinez and Smothers, that Smothers isn't a reliable option unless Martinez can't go at all (like when Adrian went to the locker room against Michigan State).  I am not worried that Frost's offense can't be replicated or replaced.  His offense has done well at times this year, but it has looked like crap at other times.

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

My point about Smothers not being a "competent backup" is based on the fact that he hasn't been used as an injury or performance replacement for Martinez this year.  There must be such a sizable gap between Martinez and Smothers, that Smothers isn't a reliable option unless Martinez can't go at all (like when Adrian went to the locker room against Michigan State).  I am not worried that Frost's offense can't be replicated or replaced.  His offense has done well at times this year, but it has looked like crap at other times.

Smother's should really be the #3 QB behind McCaffery right now. Those are the practice reps he got up until last spring. Our qb room looks like this, by ability to perform.

#1 Healthy Martinez, #2 Slightly injured Martinez (due to McCaffery's Departure). #3 Smothers, #4 Haarberg/ Masker

Just now, Born N Bled Red said:

Smother's should really be the #3 QB behind McCaffery right now. Those are the practice reps he got up until last spring. Our qb room looks like this, by ability to perform.

#1 Healthy Martinez, #2 Slightly injured Martinez (due to McCaffery's Departure). #3 Smothers, #4 Haarberg/ Masker

And Luke has shown to not be a capable QB at the D1 level, so I wouldn't have been thrilled to have him as the backup if he had stuck around.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Fixed it for ya!

#1 Healthy Martinez, #2 Slightly injured Martinez, #3 Must win game flub martinez #4 running for his life behind a porous line Martinez, #5 Smothers, #6 Haarberg/Masker

Where are all the people that were saying Smothers was legit? 

They were bragging on Martinez improving -citing stat after stat minus his wins and turnovers?  Were saying Martinez would get plenty of NFL looks??  Where are those guys now? 

If Mario was legit, Martinez would be getting better and we would have an ok backup. We have neither . 

1 hour ago, gossamorharpy said:

Fixed it for ya!

#1 Healthy Martinez, #2 Slightly injured Martinez, #3 Must win game flub martinez #4 running for his life behind a porous line Martinez, #5 Smothers, #6 Haarberg/Masker

This was just perfect!  Thanks for the contribution.  That guy in the first four positions is a "really good player".  Ha ha.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Oldhuskerfan said:

Where are all the people that were saying Smothers was legit? 

They were bragging on Martinez improving -citing stat after stat minus his wins and turnovers? 

If Mario was legit, Martinez would be getting better and we would have an ok backup. We have neither . 

Jesus dude- read the thread on back up qbs- every #2 guy transfers cuz they wanna be a starter. Sometimes it works for them (Vedral) sometimes it doesnt- McCaffery/ Gebbia. We don't have a legit #2 not because of lack of development, but because of the nature of the individuals who play the QB position. No one who takes on that role says - hey I want to be the #2 qb, and I'll wait my turn to be #1. 

40 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Jesus dude- read the thread on back up qbs- every #2 guy transfers cuz they wanna be a starter. Sometimes it works for them (Vedral) sometimes it doesnt- McCaffery/ Gebbia. We don't have a legit #2 not because of lack of development, but because of the nature of the individuals who play the QB position. No one who takes on that role says - hey I want to be the #2 qb, and I'll wait my turn to be #1. 

Dude

we have Three scholarship quarterbacks on the roster right now. None of them I guess are worth a darn. We really don’t know because Frost won’t play Smothers-the 4th best dual threat Qb in the country 3 years ago

and if we didn’t have the talent, why not go into the portal and pick up another quarterback?

how many times in the last 4 years have we gotten beat by a second or third team quarterback who had a record day against us?? But I guess Nebraska had some excuse why we can’t - 

39 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Not true at all

plenty of 3 and 4 star kids are willing to wait 2 years to start and play when the other guy is banged up before then. Unfortunately our coach doesn’t believe in sitting guys who are so banged up they can’t run the offense. So smothers has had to sit and we haven’t been able to see the handiwork super Mario has Been supposedly coaching up with our backups.