Remember When Frost Passed On Joe Burrow For Martinez?

IUHusker

25 minutes ago, jaws said:

Is there another dead horse to beat? 

I don't think Nebraska had Ja'Marr Chase on the roster along with all those other offensive weapons LSU had. Also, I think every other team outside of Cincinnati and LSU passed on him. 

Memba when Ja'Marr Chase committed to Kansas?  Pepperidge Farms remembers.  Of all the things Frost can be criticized for, this is one of them where it isn't merited.  Martinez looked incredible at the time Burrow was looking to transfer.  Unfortunately it'll go down as just another black mark on Frost's record.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Memba when Ja'Marr Chase committed to Kansas?  Pepperidge Farms remembers.  Of all the things Frost can be criticized for, this is one of them where it isn't merited.  Martinez looked incredible at the time Burrow was looking to transfer.  Unfortunately it'll go down as just another black mark on Frost's record.

Frost not liking cheese fries has more merit for firing than this non issue.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

Remember when QB Frost got shut out against Arizona State? Remember when QB Frost couldn't even engineer a halftime lead at home against Central Florida? Remember when QB Frost couldn't even beat Missouri in 4 quarters? Man, we should have known.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I'm waiting for the thread titled "Remember when Scott Frost hid in the closet of Kate McEwen's apartment and didn't try to protect her from Lawrence Phillips?"  That ought to be a good discussion. :snacks:

Ha. the way some posters act right now, I'm starting to wonder if they found Frost in their wives closets too! 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

^ This

So I'm guessing Smothers isn't any good either since Frost won't play him. I was thinking it was because they were trying to save his redshirt, but Frost said they were not trying to save his redshirt. So either Smothers is bad and we needed to recruit better or Frost is making another bullheaded decision by not playing Smothers. I mean if you still feel like Martinez is the better player fine but don't leave him in the game when he's having a complete meltdown for everyone to see, I felt sorry for Martinez

7 minutes ago, ndobney said:

So I'm guessing Smothers isn't any good either since Frost won't play him. I was thinking it was because they were trying to save his redshirt, but Frost said they were not trying to save his redshirt. So either Smothers is bad and we needed to recruit better or Frost is making another bullheaded decision by not playing Smothers. I mean if you still feel like Martinez is the better player fine but don't leave him in the game when he's having a complete meltdown for everyone to see, I felt sorry for Martinez

I would have preferred that Frost bring in one transfer QB who could actually push or compete with Adrian for the starting job, or actually be a competent backup who could come in when Adrian is struggling, as he did against Purdue, or is injured, as he was against Minnesota.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Long before this was even a thing, Urban Meyer told Burrow, to his face, 'You're a division 3 quarterback, at best.' 

I would say that's a much bigger story than the whole Frost thing, and I don't know why Urban gets a pass.

I'll take "out of context and never said for $500".  I also don't think Burrow has said anything bad about OSU after the transfer. He sounded very grateful to OSU in his Heisman speech. 

I don't care about Urban but to say Ohio State was wrong and suffered because they picked Haskins over Burrow shows little context of what really happened. 

As I stated in another thread, Burrow broke his hand in 2017 and Haskins came into the Michigan game and won it for the Buckeyes. If Haskins doesn't go into that game and perform the way he did, Burrow probably would have been the starter the next year. Haskins ended up throwing for 4,831 yards (70%) and 50 touchdowns (8 ints) and went 13-1 in 2018. They ended up landing Fields after Haskins. Maybe OSU wins the NC with Burrow at QB but we will never know. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Long before this was even a thing, Urban Meyer told Burrow, to his face, 'You're a division 3 quarterback, at best.' 

I would say that's a much bigger story than the whole Frost thing, and I don't know why Urban gets a pass.

I don't have a horse in this race but Meyer may have been hard on Burrow as an incoming Freshman but it's not at all how you made it sound.

Joe Burrow explains why Urban Meyer told him he ‘threw like a girl’

Actually, Burrow agreed, as he told The Athletic that “my arm strength wasn’t up to par.”

He offered more explanation in a new conversation with Billy Embody of 247Sports.

“Yea, coach Meyer when he gets a new quarterback there as a freshman, he kind of pokes and prods them to see what they can take and then if they can go out and execute while he’s back there yelling at them so he kind of mimics environments you’re going to see on the road so he wants to see if their quarterbacks can handle it so he would be back there yelling at me saying, ‘You’re a DII quarterback, you can’t throw’ and just see if you can handle it as a quarterback,” Burrow told Embody.