Huge Dilemma

HANC

3 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Michigan State is not and was not a complete rebuild. They weren't undoing 20+ years of culture destruction or rebuilding an entire strength and conditioning program. Nor were they pushed around in both lines like little patty cake playing pansies for years either. 

Do your thing man, you want to be obtuse and dismissive cuz the facts don't fit your narrative, you do you. 

I'm being obtuse and dismissive as you put pounds of lipstick on the pig known as Frosts tenure at Nebraska. Literally the worst win percentage of any coach in our entire lifetimes minus @knapplc who was alive to watch Christ walk on water. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, HANC said:

I am glad that I am not Trev right now (well......)

Scenario 1:  

almost 100% of people agree that the path that got us in this position is the coaching carousel that has happened over the past decade +.  Furthermore, many people will or did say that a bonus of hiring SF is the fact that he would get a "longer leash" if things aren't going well, thus, ending the vicious cycle of changing coaches and schemes.  Well, the same fans that were saying this are falling victim to their own impatience, thinking that the solution is going right back to the "root of the problem".  Furthermore, after post-Bo, the previous guys have failed, why is it a guarantee the answer is a new guy?

Scenario 2:

Trev give SF another year, the fan base will be completely divided and we may be stuck just treading water for the sake of "giving him a longer leash".  Will SF have the guts to replace AM (for those who believe he is the problem), and basically start the make or break hot seat year with a brand new signal caller?  If he doesn't make changes, it is difficult to think we will see any improvement.  If he makes changes with the staff, it will be extremely difficult for SF to bring great coaches on board.  I can't see any coach worth his salt, possibly giving up a gig to come to Lincoln on a 1 year trial basis, knowing good an well if the record isn't good, the staff will be fired.

I am not stating which scenario I am supporting, not because I am afraid of debate, but truly because I am not sure which is the lesser of two evils at this point.

if Trev brings frost back, he can say byebye to the sellout streak. 

At this point, i really don''t think he can have both for next year, unless he convinces ohio State, Iowa, and Wisconsin to forfeit their games.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, thatguy said:

if Trev brings frost back, he can say byebye to the sellout streak. 

At this point, i really don''t think he can have both for next year, unless he convinces ohio State, Iowa, and Wisconsin to forfeit their games.

My prediction, if we beat Northwestern in Dublin, the sellout streak will survive. If we lose to Northwestern and get pasted by Oklahoma the sellout streak dies and Frost better go 8-4 or better or he gone. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

My prediction, if we beat Northwestern in Dublin, the sellout streak will survive. If we lose to Northwestern and get pasted by Oklahoma the sellout streak dies and Frost better go 8-4 or better or he gone. 

the sellout streak is DOA if we go to northwestern with frost.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I remember a thread that was started last year asking us to predict the number of wins we will have this year. The most common numbers were 3-9 and 4-8. We are on par with these predictions that were made last year. If you can predict how your team is going to suck a year in advance and it comes to fruition then I feel it is time for a change. Let’s face it. If Frost is given another year, here is what is going to happen:

(1) he will retain all his coaches because he is stubborn and loyal

(2) Martinez will come back for one more tour of redemption because he is not NFL material

(3) we will experience another mass exodus in the spring which will include smothers and Yant and any other talented player who did not get playing time this year

(4) recruiting will suffer

(5) we will be back here next year discussing how we wasted an easy schedule and got nowhere.

Having said that, I completely agree that if Trev does not have the guy he wants then there is no reason for an impulsive hire like Riley to set us back another decade. In that case, Trev will need to let Frost know that he needs to make necessary changes for the team to be competitive or else he needs to start looking for a job. 

I do not buy the “we were effected by COVID” and “Riley recruits were quitters” crap. Mel Tucker turned things around with whatever talent was left in the cupboard. Arguably, our players are twice as talented as MSU, Illinois, Minnesota, and Purdue players. The difference is that Mel Tucker can coach and he had Frost’s number three times already with two different teams, whereas Frost and his coaches cannot get the best of the talent they have. The rest is just nostalgia wanting Frost to succeed when he showed he has no idea of how to succeed. Ultimately, Frost leaving might be the best thing for him and for Nebraska. He was successful at UCF. May be that is the type of football he knows how to coach and that is simply not enough for the BIG 10.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Dansker said:

The real dilemma is why isn’t he fired already? I’d like to think that we are still a top tier program and having an actual opening may garner some interest from a variety of candidates.

I am confident that we can find a coach that wins at minimum half the games he coaches for us. We have successfully done that since the 1950's until we hired Frost. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

The OP manipulates time like I do when I make love..."No no, that wasn't fast...it was just year zero, after the 4th time we do it, it will be longer, because that will be year 3...hey where are you going?"

Ha ha!

Ya, that's the part that actually concerned me when Trev was asked about the direction of the program and recruiting.  He used the OP's type of "manipulation of time" by stating that you can't make a judgment after "1-2 games".  First, I wouldn't characterize this season's evaluation as only consisting of 1-2 games.  Second, even if you were not the AD, Trev can't tell me that there is no "body of evidence" that can be looked at.  That's just crazy.

Here is what we do know, there was enough "body of evidence" after going 8-14 to give a coach with still five [5] years on a seven [7] contract ... AN EXTENSION!  If going 8-14 is sufficient evidence to do that, certainly we can move forward and know that four [4] years later we can take that already "low bar" and see if we are seeing any improvement.

"Hey, where are you going" ... is a great way to end that conversation, whether is sex or talking about the current state of this program.  Scott has made us all to feel probably like most wives and still in "want".  Ha ha.

• Haha 1

I'm a MN fan and that thing I find most interesting, is how soft your media handles Frost.

In MN we have radio hosts and writers who just savage PJ after any loss.  Just, no hold barred, make up any story you can, to try to rip PJ apart.  My theory of course is your media outlets are worried about being black-balled by viewers/listeners if they get to harsh, or that the University might decide to rescind their media access.

In MN, our media members are too busy covering other sports, that most don't go to events in person until the "big game" like Penn State in 2019.

As a fan, I would find that frustrating.

When Frost was hired, I was worried about how good Nebraska can be, but seeing him now, I think he's an okay coach, but not a good developer of talent or a good technical coach to help players improve (nor are his positional coaches).  I also don't think his leadership style is conducive to how Generation Z likes to be lead.

I was puzzled by his extension he received a year or two ago.

I'm kind of hoping that he stays because I think you could make a bowl game next year and then keep him longer.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Under no circumstances should we consider last year a wash. Literally every other program had to deal with COVID. That was not a unique circumstance to us.

With as much talent as we have had on the roster, there is absolutely no reason a competent coaching staff should be anywhere near as bad as we currently are. I absolutely understand that this was a top-to-bottom rebuild of the entire program, but to be making the same terrible mistakes we are making now is 100% on the coaching staff. 

Frost is lost. You can't run an AAC style all offense all the time type of team in the B1G. He has adapted, but his adaptations have not panned out in the W/L column. I see progress, too! We aren't getting obliterated by better teams anymore, but we also can't beat freaking Illinois. Baffling to say the least. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
On 11/3/2021 at 8:14 AM, Dano564 said:

I'm a MN fan and that thing I find most interesting, is how soft your media handles Frost.

In MN we have radio hosts and writers who just savage PJ after any loss.  Just, no hold barred, make up any story you can, to try to rip PJ apart.  My theory of course is your media outlets are worried about being black-balled by viewers/listeners if they get to harsh, or that the University might decide to rescind their media access.

In MN, our media members are too busy covering other sports, that most don't go to events in person until the "big game" like Penn State in 2019.

As a fan, I would find that frustrating.

When Frost was hired, I was worried about how good Nebraska can be, but seeing him now, I think he's an okay coach, but not a good developer of talent or a good technical coach to help players improve (nor are his positional coaches).  I also don't think his leadership style is conducive to how Generation Z likes to be lead.

I was puzzled by his extension he received a year or two ago.

I'm kind of hoping that he stays because I think you could make a bowl game next year and then keep him longer.  

When other team's fans are on the board saying they hope he stays, that is all you need to know people. He must go.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1