Huge Dilemma

HANC

6 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Could be like saying "that's the best smelling pile of SH!t I ever smelled. It might smell the best but it still smells like s#!t."

We have a talent deficit in three areas that have murdered us this year - kicking and two positions on the offensive line. If we were not facing those deficits we're sitting 6-2 or better and licking at our chops for this weekend. - I'd say that we only have deficits at those positions would mean we've addressed the significant discrepancies that were littered throughout the team when Frost took over. 

What were our deficiencies that we had in Frosts first year that have been addressed? 

12 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Could be like saying "that's the best smelling pile of SH!t I ever smelled. It might smell the best but it still smells like s#!t."

We have a talent deficit in three areas that have murdered us this year - kicking and two positions on the offensive line. If we were not facing those deficits we're sitting 6-2 or better and licking at our chops for this weekend. - I'd say that we only have deficits at those positions would mean we've addressed the significant discrepancies that were littered throughout the team when Frost took over. 

But it isn't saying that and you know it.  It is obvious that we have more talent than before on both sides of the ball.  The D talent is increased by the super seniors on that side of the line.  If there is a talent deficit it is Frost's to fix.  Why don't we have a back up QB who can be freely subbed in for AM?  Why do we have on OL that must depend on poor performing left tackle and guard?  Why no consistent kicker & ST play?  Why did we lose talent like JD and WanDale?  Ultimately it is up to the coach to recruit and develop that talent so that in YEAR 4 he doesn't have that type of deficit.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Hedley Lamarr said:

What were our deficiencies that we had in Frosts first year that have been addressed? 

Go watch the 2018 Troy,  Michigan game,  Purdue game, and Wisconsin games that year and tell me were our deficiencies were. 

Better yet, watch the 2017 Northern Illinois, Oregon, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Minnesota, Pen State, and Iowa games and tell me which deficiencies carried over. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
Just now, Born N Bled Red said:

Go watch the 2018 Troy,  Michigan game,  Purdue game, and Wisconsin games that year and tell me were our deficiencies were. 

Better yet, watch the 2017 Northern Illinois, Oregon, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Minnesota, Pen State, and Iowa games and tell me which deficiencies carried over. 

It seems to me we need to watch 2021 Ill, Okla, MSU, Mich, Minn, Purdue games to see the still existing deficiencies - which shouldn't be there still in YEAR 4.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2018 we had Morgan and JD at WR. An OL of Farmer, Foster, Jaimes, Wilson, Farniok. Same QB as now, Stoll at TE. On defense we had the Davis twins, Freedom and Stille at DE. LB was a weaker spot but we had Barry and Gifford. Safeties were rough at CB we had Jackson and Bootle....I mean did we really upgrade that much talent? Or is this the same s#!t sandwich with multi grain bread instead of whole wheat? 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

But it isn't saying that and you know it.  It is obvious that we have more talent than before on both sides of the ball.  The D talent is increased by the super seniors on that side of the line.  If there is a talent deficit it is Frost's to fix.  Why don't we have a back up QB who can be freely subbed in for AM?  Why do we have on OL that must depend on poor performing left tackle and guard?  Why no consistent kicker & ST play?  Why did we lose talent like JD and WanDale?  Ultimately it is up to the coach to recruit and develop that talent so that in YEAR 4 he doesn't have that type of deficit.

Why don't we have a back up QB who can be freely subbed in for AM?

Well, lets see.. Backup QB #1 in year 1, Tristan Gebbia bolted as soon as he lost the starting job leaving the team in a lurch and without a backup QB. Noah Vedral was brought in as a transfer, but the NCAA jacked around and didn't approve his eligibility until late in the year. No transfer QB was pursued then because we had Martinez and Vedral. 

Backup QB #2 Noah Vedral decided to transfer after the 2019 season after being beaten out for #1 and questions as to whether he had been beaten out for #3 by McCaffery. No transfer was brought in because we had both Martinez and McCaffery who Frost thought were pretty equal in talent (at least he claimed).

Backup #3 Luke McCaffery bolted after being handed the reins, given every opportunity to win the job and failed. Frost coddled him as much as humanly possible to get him to stay too, didn't work. - I fully believe he's the future at QB, We have co- #1's at qb. blah blah.

Backup # is now Logan Smothers. A redshirt freshman who still has 4 years of eligibility. One could argue Frost should have brought in a graduate transfer to serve as a one year backup- but why waste time and energy coaching another backup who is just going to transfer and not do the program any good in the long run anyway. 

Frost also probably wanted to avoid dividing the locker room as we had heard rumors of with McCaffery, believing team unity and a serviceable redshirt freshman backup was an even trade. This way the QB who actually wants to be here long term gets the #2 reps in practice and you're building him for the future rather than to have him transfer to another team. 

That's how you end up where we are at QB. You get burned by three consecutive #2 qb's and decide coaching up the next long term solution is better than wasting time and resources on someone else who will likely burn you when they don't win the #1 spot. - Even if the next long term solution isn't fully ready to be "the guy," now.

Why no consistent kicker & ST play? 

We returned the Big 10 kicker of the year, who serious thought he'd get such a severe case of the yips. Punters clearly need better coaching- rest of special teams has been pretty good. Outside of bonehead individual plays (looking at you CTB).

Why did we lose talent like JD and WanDale?

JD's heart wasn't in it- thought a change of scenery might help. It didn't. Wandale had outside factors. 

Why do we have on OL that must depend on poor performing left tackle and guard?

The line takes the longest to build - we've corrected 3/5 spots there. 

There are 24 (11 offense, 11 defense, kicker, punter) spots on  the team- we are better than we were at 18 of them. - That's pretty darn good if you ask me.  You can place almost all our losses at the feet of those four positions, literally for the kickers. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
23 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

You sure its not the reverse? We didn't have the talent and the coaching was the reason we had the opportunities to win seems more likely given the way Riley's tenure ended. 

We had the talent for more than 4 wins in 2018.

We had 4 wins in 2017 (we had the talent for more than 4 wins in 2017 too, with coaching and culture clearly the biggest culprits), and had all the best players from that team plus new immediately contributing players in Frost's first season.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

2018 we had Morgan and JD at WR. An OL of Farmer, Foster, Jaimes, Wilson, Farniok. Same QB as now, Stoll at TE. On defense we had the Davis twins, Freedom and Stille at DE. LB was a weaker spot but we had Barry and Gifford. Safeties were rough at CB we had Jackson and Bootle....I mean did we really upgrade that much talent? Or is this the same s#!t sandwich with multi grain bread instead of whole wheat? 

Hey- great list of talent Pelini left there. What was behind them? 

2 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

well one of our 2nd string OL was Matt Sichterman....Deontre Thomas, Damion Daniels, Austin Allen, Jojo Domann, Colin Miller to name a few. Many ended up moving out. Kind of like what several of Frosts recruits have also done. :-) 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

You make some valid points.  However, the elephant in the room is we didn't lose the 6 games this year because of the 3 or 4 deficiencies you listed.  We lost at least 4 of the 6 because one of our supposed to be solid players made crucial mistakes.  It is a trend that can't be ignored.  Our players don't have a winning mindset.  You can call it motivation or focus or whatever... the mentality of this team is creating losses.  That falls 100% on the teams leadership.  As I said in another thread, I'm not sure if this staff is capable of fixing that.  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

You make some valid points.  However, the elephant in the room is we didn't lose the 6 games this year because of the 3 or 4 deficiencies you listed.  We lost at least 4 of the 6 because one of our supposed to be solid players made crucial mistakes.  It is a trend that can't be ignored.  Our players don't have a winning mindset.  You can call it motivation or focus or whatever... the mentality of this team is creating losses.  That falls 100% on the teams leadership.  As I said in another thread, I'm not sure if this staff is capable of fixing that.  

I listed the main deficiencies as the Kicker, the punters, and two linemen. Punter singlehandedly cost us the Michigan State came. There is one, the kicker's inability to reliably make a field goal cost us several 1) by kicks actually missed- 2) by us going for it on 4th, when a reliable field goal was the better play- this cost us at least 2 games, and the offensive line giving up the all the sacks and qb pressures as well as how many false start penalties that killed drives- they cost us the rest. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

If Frost is retained, I have zero doubt in my mind that his decision will be to play Martinez, expecting the results to be different. They won't be.

If I were Trev and actually considering keeping Frost, the two things I'd require him to do would be: 1) replace all of the crappy assistants (there are many); and 2) get a new QB from the portal.

6 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I listed the main deficiencies as the Kicker, the punters, and two linemen. Punter singlehandedly cost us the Michigan State came. There is one, the kicker's inability to reliably make a field goal cost us several 1) by kicks actually missed- 2) by us going for it on 4th, when a reliable field goal was the better play- this cost us at least 2 games, and the offensive line giving up the all the sacks and qb pressures as well as how many false start penalties that killed drives- they cost us the rest. 

At the end of the day this is a systemic problem. You solve one problem another one is there- the proverbial Dutch boy with his finger in the dike problem. Well coached teams in the aggregate don’t have multiple players consistently making those types of errors. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

If Frost is retained, I have zero doubt in my mind that his decision will be to play Martinez, expecting the results to be different. They won't be.

If I were Trev and actually considering keeping Frost, the two things I'd require him to do would be: 1) replace all of the crappy assistants (there are many); and 2) get a new QB from the portal.

I think the portal should be visited for a QB whether Martinez stays or goes. The idea of trying to bring Max Duggan home is really appealing. - Again though- no QB who thinks they are worthy of being starter is going to come in and fight an entrenched 5 year starter for the job. If Martinez comes back, a transfer QB won't happen. If a transfer comes in and wins the job, but has 2-3 years eligibility Smothers will transfer. Just the way it goes with QBs these days.