What assistants should we get rid of?

7 minutes ago, captain_sasquatch said:

The bulk of the offensive staff needs to go, minimally Verduzco and Austin. You can make the argument for Held if you can get a good recruiter to replace him. I know lots of folks aren't high on Lubick but the changes we've seen since he's been here scheme-wise have been great. I'd be on board either way with him.

Bottom line we need a dedicated ST guy and need to break the bank when it comes to the rest of the replacements.

I don't think we have actually seen what Lubick can do.  I don't feel like he has a been given the reins fully...  JMHO

• Oh Yeah! 1
54 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I could very well be wrong but Rahmir seems more like a the hole is supposed to be here I am going to run here more often than not. I may have some kind of bias to Yant. Not sure what it would be but it is possible. He just seems to have a higher ceiling to me. 

Yea, if the hole isn’t right in front of Rhamir, far too often he misses it. 

23 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

Id say most are on board with Verduzco being on that list as well..  

Personally, I'm a little iffy on him, but not calling for his head. Most of what people b!^@h about Martinez (and consequently Verduzco) for ultimately stems from the s#!tty O-line.

20 minutes ago, Toe said:

Personally, I'm a little iffy on him, but not calling for his head. Most of what people b!^@h about Martinez (and consequently Verduzco) for ultimately stems from the s#!tty O-line.

When he does get time in the pocket he is still hit or miss though. The biggest thing around Verduzco is we actually don't know if he can coach QBs or not because we have only ever seen 1. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Toe said:

On paper, RB recruiting has been fine - Morrison, Johnson, and Stepp were all 4* guys coming out of HS. But yeah, especially last year was alarming. We had Morrison and Johnson on the roster, but we're playing Wandale at RB?!

Agreed. Wt the strange rotation and lack of consistent production Held is 2nd on my list behind Austin.    I'm all for replacing Austin wt Brown who has shown in the past that he can coach and motivate. 

If Frost is retained, we need a 'real' OC who can take control of the offense.  If Frost wants to be OC, then let him go some place else and be that. He doesn't have the talent TO had to do both jobs at the same time.  Only a few guys are capable of doing what Tom did. Solich tried and failed as well. 

While I don't mind Dawson as a LB coach, we have to get a full time ST coach.  I say, let Frost concentrate on the QBs, fire Coach V, and move Busch from analyst to ST coach and recruiting coordinator. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, twofittyonred said:

first and foremost Greg Austin and Mario Verduzco, then Id look at Held and Dawson

Dawson is fine as a OLB coach, Domann is the best player on the whole team and Nelson has come a long ways, but whether Frost survives or not he should not be running our ST's next season. They still aren't good enough and if anything Dawson will be less effective without the input of Bill Busch. But if we're going to have a new ST's coach we may need to ditch one of our LB-coaches. Chin has the experience, he can take over a group for the most part if the new guy doesn't coach LB's. Some want Mario's replacement to be a ST's guy but we need to hire a legit OC/qb-coach there. 

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

These three at minimum. 

I honestly don’t get the hate on Duval.  Strength and conditioning is not a major problem on this team and it’s greatly improved from where we were before. 

Ya, I don't get it either. I don't see a slow, weak, and/or out-of-shape team. I see a team that needs to be coached-up and run better. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Toe said:

I'm more confused on why, after 4 years, we don't have a "competent" back-up QB that should have been in for the Minnesota game..  I haven't seen any development of any of our QBs .

• Plus1 4

15 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

I'm more confused on why, after 4 years, we don't have a "competent" back-up QB that should have been in for the Minnesota game..  I haven't seen any development of any of our QBs .

I hear ya. If there's one thing I would consider a legit criticism of Verduzco, it's not Martinez's performance, it's the apparent failure to get viable backups ready, even when you know your starter is gimpy.

• Oh Yeah! 1
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

These three at minimum. 

I honestly don’t get the hate on Duval.  Strength and conditioning is not a major problem on this team and it’s greatly improved from where we were before. 

I think it's partially from seeing our lines, especially our O-Line, get blasted by other teams. 

I haven't been a fan of Duval the past few seasons, but even I can see there's a definite change in the physicality and strength this team has, so I personally haven't included him with the likes of Verduzco or Austin (the two that I think just about everyone can agree must go IMO). Just wish it would translate better among our offensive line. 

1 hour ago, twofittyonred said:

I don't think we have actually seen what Lubick can do.  I don't feel like he has a been given the reins fully...  JMHO

We know we haven't because Frost is sharing playcalling duties with him. I agree that our playcalling and game prep has been better, as well as halftime adjustments...but something still seems amiss in that department. Wonder if making Frost more of a CEO and having a smattering of input would help in this regard. 

1 hour ago, Toe said:

I think a lot of the criticism comes from:

• A lack of improvement in Martinez's ability and avoiding gaffes/mistakes
  • The lack of preparation of backup QBs behind Martinez...especially when we see other teams be able to plug in a second or third string QB and succeed against us. 
  • The rumored lack of a quality QB room outside of Martinez. Other threads have riffed on Smothers' ability to step up and be counted on, as well as the other QBs, which IMO means Verduzco isn't doing his job. 

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

I think it's partially from seeing our lines, especially our O-Line, get blasted by other teams. 

I haven't been a fan of Duval the past few seasons, but even I can see there's a definite change in the physicality and strength this team has, so I personally haven't included him with the likes of Verduzco or Austin (the two that I think just about everyone can agree must go IMO). Just wish it would translate better among our offensive line. 

I think you will tend to see that when you have a young O line (which we've had recently) and one that is poorly coached and bad technique.  Fix those things and I bet that it would look like our O line is stronger.

I haven't seen the same problem on our D line.

Every lineman is going to get beat every once in a while when going against older and more experienced linemen.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Say Frost is retained, yet TA forces his hand and he has to make staff changes... who needs to be shown the door?

• Mario Verduzco
  • Greg Austin
  • Ryan Held
  • Zach Duval

We also obviously need a special teams coach. With Orgeron leaving LSU, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Jake Peetz, Corey Raymond, & Mickey Joseph on our staff. All three Huskers; all three coaching for LSU instead of us. Unacceptable. This is the perfect time to snag all three.

Only way Scott frost should come back is if  he agrees to step down to become offensive coordinator. 
he just doesn’t have the correct skill set required to succeed at this level. Either that or he has seen and knows what it takes, but refuses to do that because he thinks his way is still ok. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1