Honest question from MN fan

OldGo4

1 hour ago, OldGo4 said:

Gopher fan here – I am probably looking through maroon and gold colored glasses but, having said that , my observation is that many/most Husker fans seem to think NU has better talent than most of the other teams in the Big10. I think that is clearly wrong. It seemed to me that during the MN/NU game that the Gophers clearly had the better O and D lines. AM was kept locked in the pocket the entire game and was unable to use his legs. AM has never been, as far as I can see, a great passer.

The problem for NU is that SF has not developed the talent he has recruited. Take Bryce Benhart for example, MN tried hard to recruit him as he seems to have all of the tools to be good but… he has no business starting as a freshman. It takes time for big men to develop their full strength and techniques. At another school, WI, IA, MN, and now IL under BB he would not see the field until he was a Jr or Sr.

It will be interesting to see if his experience at NU has ruined him as a future player.

In short, NU does not have better players than other Big10 teams – NU has better athletes perhaps but not better football players and that is why NU is losing games.

I’m done, fire away.

Your observations are by-and-large correct, in my opinion.  Especially that about how your Gophers contained Martinez, and his (over rated by the coaching staff) passing abilities (stats look pretty good in the B1G, though, proving that stats can lie or mislead when superimposed over the win loss record). 

That about our head coach not developing the players is spot on, I think.  And this leads to my opinions about his sized down abilities in this conference as compared to the one where he last was successful as a head coach.

3 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Were you really searching Youtube for random videos from Husker fans? 

Yeh. I watch them every year before and after the Gophers game to get an assessment of what other teams expect from the Gophers.

Here's one from last year:

And these guys I've watched since 2019.

I think we were terrible in 2019, or a fluke or something. Best year of my life, but not good yet.