Honest question from MN fan

OldGo4

5 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

This is exactly the issue. 

Nebraska has better potential than most teams in the west. Not better available talent. Potential needs time to be maximized and mature into talent that is seen on the field. We do not have maximized and mature talent on the offensive side of the ball, we do have potential. 

This is it. Nebraska has the highest ceiling of all the teams in the division. It doesn't have the local talent pool that would make one jealous but it does have an overly loyal fanbase that puts up with mediocrity where every other school would tap out if they even had the same interest. Plenty of resources to fund a program and pay competitively(Regent pending). We've managed to average in the high teens/lower 20s in recruiting despite having a losing record the last 5 years, it'd be higher if there was a 2019 season Minnesota had or a division winning season Wisconsin has had. Our divisional counterparts haven't had to go up against the Huskers under stable circumstances while we've seen most others at or near their peak so it's not hard to feel a certain type of way.

5 hours ago, teachercd said:

No, when you lose at home to a 31 point dog you are horrible. 

Minny is horrible, NU is horrible, PU is horrible, NW is horrible, Iowa has scored 14 points in their last two games and they were ranked 2nd, Wisconsin can't complete a pass.

The west is horrible.  

Okay ... but then why do all us Nebraska fans say we have such a tough schedule?  Did Minnesota add in a Fordham?  Will we lose to OSU 45-31?  Would we beat the Buffs 30-0 and hold them to 68 yards in Boulder?

I just think its a load of crap to state Minni sucks, along with us.  I think we are our own measure of doo doo.  No one pontificates and bloviates better than us.  It's one of the things I hate most about Huskerboard, we pound those that beat us when they show up on our board.  At the games, the real Husker faithful applaud our victors.

Welcome to our board.  Respect to you and thanks for the visit.  For you guys, it's all in front of you.  Looks like Whisky will be a big, big game.  Good luck.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Okay ... but then why do all us Nebraska fans say we have such a tough schedule?  Did Minnesota add in a Fordham?  Will we lose to OSU 45-31?  Would we beat the Buffs 30-0 and hold them to 68 yards in Boulder?

I just think its a load of crap to state Minni sucks, along with us.  I think we are our own measure of doo doo.  No one pontificates and bloviates better than us.  It's one of the things I hate most about Huskerboard, we pound those that beat us when they show up on our board.  At the games, the real Husker faithful applaud our victors.

Welcome to our board.  Respect to you and thanks for the visit.  For you guys, it's all in front of you.  Looks like Whisky will be a big, big game.  Good luck.

I do not think they had/have a tough schedule.  

Maybe some fans think that but I don't.  

Remember that NU has been favored in all their games but 1.  Even vs Michigan they were -2.5 to start.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I do not think they had/have a tough schedule.  

Maybe some fans think that but I don't.  

Remember that NU has been favored in all their games but 1.  Even vs Michigan they were -2.5 to start.

Most people at the beginning of the season would say we had a Top 5-10 difficulty of schedule.  For me, I would have it around a Top 20-25.  The reason I think we suck is because we have more talent than the bottom dwellers but literally find ways to have an excuse.  This happened prior to the season and it's still occurring today.  In all that ... I agree with you and will take all the "laughs" to this post folks like.  In the end, the B1G is more of "blue collar" league ... and in that ... we have lost the "want" and "will" to put up and own our "crap".  We are still so full of pride and won't acknowledge that we are the bottom dweller in the league.  We need to own that ... smell it ... take it in ... and decide if we like it.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

When the word "talent" is used in college football discussions, it is pretty much always referring to the average & cumulative recruiting site rankings.

So, it's "on-paper" measurements.

There was a stat floating around just prior to game 1 of last season that said that as a measurement of total number of 4 & 5 star players on B1G rosters, the order went:

-Ohio State

-Michigan

-Penn State

-Nebraska

So if you hear a Nebraska fan say what you're hearing people say, OP, they're correct. Now does that mean jack s***? Of course not; we're empirically a dumpster fire of a program.

• Plus1 2

18 minutes ago, Dano564 said:

Sounds like something a team who loses by 5 a lot would say.

No snarky remarks necessary.  I guarantee every Minnesota fan was pissed about it and worried about the season.  They eventually got their stuff together and are playing good football now.  

We were a QB sneak away from a much different result vs the Gophers. Martinez was banged up, didn't want to run much. Whatever the difference is between Nebraska and Minnesota, it isn't much, considering both last year and this year, the games came down to 1 score.

9 hours ago, knapplc said:

On paper our recruiting classes put us at or near the top of the division, so this isn't some made-up belief from Husker fans. You're right in that we don't develop talent as well as we should, and certainly not as well as Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa or Northwestern. That's why we're talking about firing coaches. 

Not sure what you're on about with Benhart. This is his third year in the program. 

You're preaching to the choir. It goes way beyond this superficial analysis. 

No need for me to reply. This covers it. Well said.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, OldGo4 said:

Gopher fan here – I am probably looking through maroon and gold colored glasses but, having said that , my observation is that many/most Husker fans seem to think NU has better talent than most of the other teams in the Big10. I think that is clearly wrong. It seemed to me that during the MN/NU game that the Gophers clearly had the better O and D lines. AM was kept locked in the pocket the entire game and was unable to use his legs. AM has never been, as far as I can see, a great passer.

The problem for NU is that SF has not developed the talent he has recruited. Take Bryce Benhart for example, MN tried hard to recruit him as he seems to have all of the tools to be good but… he has no business starting as a freshman. It takes time for big men to develop their full strength and techniques. At another school, WI, IA, MN, and now IL under BB he would not see the field until he was a Jr or Sr.

It will be interesting to see if his experience at NU has ruined him as a future player.

In short, NU does not have better players than other Big10 teams – NU has better athletes perhaps but not better football players and that is why NU is losing games.

I’m done, fire away.

Honest question here. 

did you cut and paste this in different message boards? The font is weird 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1