Honest question from MN fan

OldGo4

12 hours ago, OldGo4 said:

Gopher fan here – I am probably looking through maroon and gold colored glasses but, having said that , my observation is that many/most Husker fans seem to think NU has better talent than most of the other teams in the Big10. I think that is clearly wrong.

In the last five years, Nebraska has had the best average recruiting rankings out of the entire Big 10 West and three of the seven teams in the East. So, by majority, they recruit better than nine other teams.

The problem is what happens when the players get here, so, it really comes down to how you define "talent." To a man, I would argue Nebraska has more talent than at least 8-9 other teams in the B1G. Recent coaches have simply proven incapable of developing that talent to produce a winning product. That doesn't mean the players aren't "talented."

That's why I don't generally like the whole 'ArE tHeY tAlEnTeD' discussion. Nebraska is a D1 school full of players that landed them top 20 and top 30 recruiting classes. They're good players, at least in the raw sense. They're a team that is MORE than capable of winning 8-9 games and competing for a division title. They've proven that in multiple games this year. Just not in the stat that matters most.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

14 hours ago, OldGo4 said:

Gopher fan here – I am probably looking through maroon and gold colored glasses but, having said that , my observation is that many/most Husker fans seem to think NU has better talent than most of the other teams in the Big10. I think that is clearly wrong. It seemed to me that during the MN/NU game that the Gophers clearly had the better O and D lines. AM was kept locked in the pocket the entire game and was unable to use his legs. AM has never been, as far as I can see, a great passer.

The problem for NU is that SF has not developed the talent he has recruited. Take Bryce Benhart for example, MN tried hard to recruit him as he seems to have all of the tools to be good but… he has no business starting as a freshman. It takes time for big men to develop their full strength and techniques. At another school, WI, IA, MN, and now IL under BB he would not see the field until he was a Jr or Sr.

It will be interesting to see if his experience at NU has ruined him as a future player.

In short, NU does not have better players than other Big10 teams – NU has better athletes perhaps but not better football players and that is why NU is losing games.

I’m done, fire away.

What the f#&% in your life makes posting on another teams message board important.  Ive been to minn its not a bad place to be, lots to do.  We have our own problems here.  

14 hours ago, OldGo4 said:

Gopher fan here – I am probably looking through maroon and gold colored glasses but, having said that , my observation is that many/most Husker fans seem to think NU has better talent than most of the other teams in the Big10. I think that is clearly wrong. It seemed to me that during the MN/NU game that the Gophers clearly had the better O and D lines. AM was kept locked in the pocket the entire game and was unable to use his legs. AM has never been, as far as I can see, a great passer.

The problem for NU is that SF has not developed the talent he has recruited. Take Bryce Benhart for example, MN tried hard to recruit him as he seems to have all of the tools to be good but… he has no business starting as a freshman. It takes time for big men to develop their full strength and techniques. At another school, WI, IA, MN, and now IL under BB he would not see the field until he was a Jr or Sr.

It will be interesting to see if his experience at NU has ruined him as a future player.

In short, NU does not have better players than other Big10 teams – NU has better athletes perhaps but not better football players and that is why NU is losing games.

I’m done, fire away.

Nebraska has recruited better and more talented players than several other B1G schools. That's a fact based on recruiting rankings. So yes we have "better players" at the start. 

What's also a fact is these coaches haven't developed that talent AT ALL while they've been here. They've wasted years of development doing nothing! 

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Nebraska has recruited better and more talented players than several other B1G schools. That's a fact based on recruiting rankings. So yes we have "better players" at the start. 

What's also a fact is these coaches haven't developed that talent AT ALL while they've been here. They've wasted years of development doing nothing! 

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Recruiting rankings don’t mean di@k if the players don’t stick with the program. 

Take all those stars away that have left the program and those So called “top” classes don’t look so hot.

3 minutes ago, huskerfan99 said:

Recruiting rankings don’t mean di@k if the players don’t stick with the program. 

Take all those stars away that have left the program and those So called “top” classes don’t look so hot.

even with all the guys that have transferred we still have 24 4+ star players on our roster....more than double that of Illinois, Purdue yada yada. 

1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

even with all the guys that have transferred we still have 24 4+ star players on our roster....more than double that of Illinois, Purdue yada yada. 

Believe me I’m not saying we don’t have talent. We have plenty.

Just stating facts of Frost and his staff’s lack of player retention.

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Most people at the beginning of the season would say we had a Top 5-10 difficulty of schedule.  For me, I would have it around a Top 20-25.  The reason I think we suck is because we have more talent than the bottom dwellers but literally find ways to have an excuse.  This happened prior to the season and it's still occurring today.  In all that ... I agree with you and will take all the "laughs" to this post folks like.  In the end, the B1G is more of "blue collar" league ... and in that ... we have lost the "want" and "will" to put up and own our "crap".  We are still so full of pride and won't acknowledge that we are the bottom dweller in the league.  We need to own that ... smell it ... take it in ... and decide if we like it.  

I'm pretty sure Husker fans know that when they see where we are ranked in the Big Ten....and don't like it.

23 minutes ago, huskerfan99 said:

Correct. Those are just the players that were recruited and committed  not transfers.

So 18 of our 4 star players are Sophmores or less? - Seems about right stating we have talent but its young...

Oh, the covid year doesn't count they should still be producing after 3 years in the program... derp. 

Yes- agreed under normal circumstances. Under normal circumstances they would not also be going against guys 4 years their senior at this point in their career as those guys on other teams would have graduated out as well. So age and experience gaps are still significant while we own the gap on talent. 

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

great so Illinois has what only 2 4 stars they recruited? eeks 

Minnesota only has six four stars right now, and three are freshman who won't see the field.

So Fleck is doing it all via 3-stars and culture.

This is why I think Frost isn't a good coach.

Our 3-stars consistently beat Frost's 4-stars.

Then every year Nebraska says Minnesota is terrible.

2 minutes ago, Dano564 said:

Minnesota only has six four stars right now, and three are freshman who won't see the field.

So Fleck is doing it all via 3-stars and culture.

This is why I think Frost isn't a good coach.

Our 3-stars consistently beat Frost's 4-stars.

Then every year Nebraska says Minnesota is terrible.

In terms of talent our class ranking says we should be competing to win the West every year. Which is also why I think Frost is not a good coach. Nebraska is a PJ Fleck caliber coach away from consistently winning the West. I hate Fleck but he wins more than he loses. 

• Plus1 1