Some more crazy stats on the Huskers under Frost

1 hour ago, lo country said:

Here it is.  Do we win because we are better or because the schedule is weaker.....Because that's what a lot of folks are pointing to...Next year is a weaker schedule....This is Nebraska. I don't want my seasons to be puffed up by beating "lesser" schools (of which we are no one).  We haven't beat a P5 school with a winning record since 2018....In year one.  With a team full of other coaches guys AND guys with just one year under this staff (guys playing on instinct/previous coaching). If Frost pulls it out, I will be FLOORED.

I'd almost forgot NU got RB's like that.  haha.

Ron Brown could recruit 

4 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

If this were transition for transition sake alone, I would tend to agree with you.  Doing so can be disruptive.  However, football coaching is an unkind, unemotional, results-oriented business.  Coach Lombardi once said that "while winning isn't everything, it is the only thing" when it comes to football.  You may find that statement stark, direct, and lacking in compassion, but that is the reality.  When you accept this assignment, and the $5 million annual salary, folks rightly expect results.  To date, given all the resources provided (monetary, facilities, recruiting, academic support, fan support, etc.), I would give this staff a failing grade in terms of results.

What concerns me most about your argument is your last passage.  You are already laying the groundwork, perhaps unknowingly, for a SIXTH Year!  If the body of work remains the same, 0.500 or worse, than you should not be 99% behind removal, but 100%. 

Performance in individual games in Year 5 matter little to me next to the body of work.  Let's not play that game...

Agree 100% with your take on why coaching is and rightfully so is the result based way it is...you are getting paid millions to coach a sport. If you don't want the heat/expectations than negotiate a salary of $100k and then I will support the "give em time" idea

One reason that Alberts may look to get rid of Frost is his poor performance against the weaker division foes.  Nebraska should be able to consistently beat Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue and Minnesota yet he has struggled.  Here is a breakdown of Nebraska against those schools:

2011 to 2014 (Bo Pelini):  Went 9-3 

2015-2017 (Mike Riley): Went 7-5

2018-2021 (Scott Frost):  Is 6-10

I know a great deal is made of being more competitive against the top teams, but the real reason Frost is on the hot seat is his inability to beat some of the weaker competition that often has lower recruiting classes than Nebraska.

• Plus1 4

18 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Ok, what say you. Frost goes 7-5,

Blows out Northwestern, North Dakota, Georgia Southern, Rutgers

Wins Convincingly against Minnesota, Illinois, Purdue

Loses to Iowa by last minute Hail Mary/ Kick and loses to Wisconsin by less than 7 

Loses to Indiana in Overtime, to Oklahoma and Michigan by less than 7

- Iowa and Wisconsin slip up elsewhere and Nebraska ends up winning the division with that record. 

- So we got 7-5 Nebraska with its first division winning season in what feels like forever 

- Lose the CCG to probably Ohio State -by 7-14 points and end up in a bowl game against Texas that just for sh!ts and giggles we win on a last minute kick.

We finish the season 8-6. 

At that point- I'd be on the fence about whether to keep him or not. I'd be on the fence if we went 7-5 and win the bowl game to go 8-5. Make a bowl game and lose at 7-6 I'd probably be back to the 100% 

Those are the only scenarios that less than 8-4 would make me not 100% certain a change should be made. 

A dizzying set of circumstances and conditions, but nonetheless, a hypothetical record which shows tangible progress.  The one element that stood out in your scenario was the bullet identifying "convincing" wins against Minnesota, Illinois, and Purdue.  As I have said for months, those three (and Northwestern) are the foundation for a return to relevancy.  And frankly, those are games a program like ours should consistently defeat.

However, with 4 years of history as my guide, I am pessimistic about our chances of beating all 4 of those teams in a single season, let alone scoring convincing wins on all of them.

We shall see in Year 5...

16 hours ago, UniversalMartin said:

Agree 100% with your take on why coaching is and rightfully so is the result based way it is...you are getting paid millions to coach a sport. If you don't want the heat/expectations than negotiate a salary of $100k and then I will support the "give em time" idea

Agree in total.  These days, a program gets what it pays for.  For the 17th best salary overall, we rightfully should expect a consistent Top 25 program. 

I can tell you that despite all of the success that Clemson has had in recent years, including 2 National Championships, Coach Swinney is coming under significant fire for just 1 tough season.  His compensation package is 4th overall at $8.3 million.  These jobs come with big salaries and commensurate expectations.  Take the money, but accept the high expectations and pressure that comes with it...

A follower of mine on Twitter recently asked how close we were to approaching the record for single score losses in a single season. The 2021 Huskers are one away from tying the record in modern college football (since 1970). But this hasn't only been a problem for this current Huskers team. Over the last four and seven year periods (Frost and Frost+Riley tenures), Nebraska has tied the record for most single score losses over those time frames.

The last seven years of Husker football have been heartbreaking to watch at a historic level. In a few weeks, we may sit alone in a painful spot of college football history.

https://arbitraryanalytics.com/2021/11/05/huskers-on-the-verge-of-history/