Defensive Pass Coverage/Secondary

Aliens05

Question, what the heck happened to our pass coverage? It hasn't been bad all year really until Minnesota and Purdue, Illinois I guess wasn't great, but we held Oklahoma, MSU and Michigan all day long in the passing game. We go from that to giving up 13 yards a pass almost every pass play it seems like. 

Is it just that the defense has kind of given up intensity or is it scheme?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I thought the coverage was way too soft against Minnesota and saw similar results against Purdue.  The lack of a pass rush is really killing the defense.

I absolutely agree on the pass rush, it's been non existent for about 6 years now and i mean completely non existent..but even without taking that into play, why is there a wide open WR 15 yards downfield what seems like every play, at some point those guys have to be locked up. We had no pash rush against Michigan MSU or Oklahoma and didn't struggle to defend the pass.

• Plus1 1

Watching the post game presser JoJo said that Purdue committed to the run which opened up the passing game.....They were then able to dink and dunk all the way down the field.  I really hoped that recruiting bigger DB's we would play a lor more press coverage.  Especially in 3rd down situations.  Still play further off than I would like.  

I know this will be an unpopular comment, but I wonder if Fisher cross training our DB's ie at safety and CB slows their development.  I know it "helps them to see the whole field", but with the limited practices we have would be better served to try and make a guy, not a "jack of all trades, but a master of one"......Get a guy really good at knowing his position and only his.  They can learn where they fit in the scheme through practicing theirs....

I still miss Marvin Sanders...

• Plus1 2

25 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

Man they still handing out blackshirts.  Lmao. What a joke!!

I sometimes wonder if maybe part of that is that the staff is conflicted on how to handle player confidence/morale. They don't know weather to try to do something to give em some confidence or rip em a new one and risk taking a hit to their confidence..idk just a thought.

23 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

Defense is pretty solid man, against the toughest schedule in the country, we are the 22nd best defense in yards per play allowed, and up there in nearly every other category as well. The most "Blackshirt," like performance we've seen in years. The only thing they aren't doing is forcing turnovers and getting defensive scores. 

• Plus1 4
33 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

I can't throw stones at the D [verses what I see in other areas].  With all the terrible special teams and of course "shooting in the foot" with turnovers by the O and general poor calls on the O side ... the D is the lone spot that might shine even much brighter if we could have ever been decent in other areas.

24 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Defense is pretty solid man, against the toughest schedule in the country, we are the 22nd best defense in yards per play allowed, and up there in nearly every other category as well. The most "Blackshirt," like performance we've seen in years. The only thing they aren't doing is forcing turnovers and getting defensive scores. 

I won’t disagree with the defense being good at all. A cracked dam can only hold back water for so long.  I just don’t see the point in a 3 win team getting black shirts after losing to Purdue.  

idk.  Just my thought. 

48 minutes ago, Aliens05 said:

I sometimes wonder if maybe part of that is that the staff is conflicted on how to handle player confidence/morale. They don't know weather to try to do something to give em some confidence or rip em a new one and risk taking a hit to their confidence..idk just a thought.

The portal has really made things tough for coaches. Rip into a kid, or bench him, and he ends up in the portal. Once could argue that if a kid is going to be like that, we don't want him anyway, but we've lost a bunch of good players the last few years because of the portal. 

• Fire 2
2 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Heard Callahan say the other day on KFAB that the pass rush is not what it was earlier in the season and it's putting more pressure on the backfield.

I hadn't been watching that closely as I've tried to be drunk by halftime.  It's a new gameday tradition for me.

So much of getting turnovers is taking a chance and it's hard when you have to play perfect to win. Mix that in with the wear and tear of playing defense, and you can see the edge they had slowly disappear.