Defensive Pass Coverage/Secondary

Aliens05

5 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Heard Callahan say the other day on KFAB that the pass rush is not what it was earlier in the season and it's putting more pressure on the backfield.

I hadn't been watching that closely as I've tried to be drunk by halftime.  It's a new gameday tradition for me.

The pass rush falling off is no surprise when you stop playing Fordham and Buffalo.  Was always going to be a problem, especially this weekend.

I'm going to try your philosophy this weekend, not sure my wife will approve. :cheers

A good pass rush is a secondary's best friend. The 2009 and 2010 defenses (the best we've had since McBride) were great because the two units complemented each other in incredible ways: guys like Suh, Crick and David were able to get a good-to-great pass rush because they had guys like Amukamara, Gomes and Hagg behind in coverage; likewise, those guys were able to be really good in coverage because the guys in front were getting consistent, sustained pressure on QBs, reducing their time to throw and ability to scan the field. Our secondary has been good in spite of not having a pass rush; when Garrett Nelson is you most consistent pass rusher (and nothing against the kid, he plays his a$$ off), then you have a problem with your front 4. 

• Plus1 3