Level of Interest

tmfr15

It looks to be the fifth consecutive non bowl season in Lincoln. And, as a fan, that’s pretty deflating. I know most of us were big fans of Frost. It seemed like a slam dunk. It has been anything but that. 

None of us fans have any say in who gets fired or hired. So there’s not much point in debating. We have opinions but someone else will make the final call. 

We do control the level of interest we have in the team. And I am interested and invested or I would not be posting. 

I have to say my level of interest has gone down. For many years, Husker football was a passion. I enjoyed and supported but was not nearly as invested in basketball or volleyball or baseball. 

I don’t follow those other programs 365 like I do football. But I am starting to believe that the excitement and investment for football is dropping to be a lot closer to those other Husker sports

Its a little hopeless right now. When Bill replaced Solich, we hoped for good. It went bad, TO to the rescue. Bo gave way to Mike, it was bad but we all felt we got the right coach. with Scott. We have little hope that Scott is going to turn it around and about the same faith that the program will rise rapidly under new leadership. 

when the off season comes, I won’t be wishing away any time to get back to football. I won’t think about it that much until summer. And that’s very different for me. Sometimes I wonder if a day will come where I simply don’t care at all. 

I am hoping to read about what you all are thinking about this   Coaching change or no, the off-season looks like a snore. 

5 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

It looks to be the fifth consecutive non bowl season in Lincoln. And, as a fan, that’s pretty deflating. I know most of us were big fans of Frost. It seemed like a slam dunk. It has been anything but that. 

None of us fans have any say in who gets fired or hired. So there’s not much point in debating. We have opinions but someone else will make the final call. 

We do control the level of interest we have in the team. And I am interested and invested or I would not be posting. 

I have to say my level of interest has gone down. For many years, Husker football was a passion. I enjoyed and supported but was not nearly as invested in basketball or volleyball or baseball. 

I don’t follow those other programs 365 like I do football. But I am starting to believe that the excitement and investment for football is dropping to be a lot closer to those other Husker sports

Its a little hopeless right now. When Bill replaced Solich, we hoped for good. It went bad, TO to the rescue. Bo gave way to Mike, it was bad but we all felt we got the right coach. with Scott. We have little hope that Scott is going to turn it around and about the same faith that the program will rise rapidly under new leadership. 

when the off season comes, I won’t be wishing away any time to get back to football. I won’t think about it that much until summer. And that’s very different for me. Sometimes I wonder if a day will come where I simply don’t care at all. 

I am hoping to read about what you all are thinking about this   Coaching change or no, the off-season looks like a snore. 

Ya'll are so worried about fan apathy, honestly, moving on from Frost this year is what will bring that about for me. 

I can support a Husker trying to right the ship and the struggles to do so.

BUT, We have gotten worse every time we switch coaches since Osborne. Honestly, if we bring in a new guy, I probably won't even bother learning his name, definitely not his assistant's names. Won't matter when they are shown the door in 3 years anyway.

Just not worth investing the time or energy in a doomed regime.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 3
52 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Ya'll are so worried about fan apathy, honestly, moving on from Frost this year is what will bring that about for me. 

BUT, We have gotten worse every time we switch coaches since Osborne. Honestly, if we bring in a new guy, I probably won't even bother learning his name, definitely not his assistant's names. Won't matter when they are shown the door in 3 years anyway.

Well, it's happening. There is no excuse for 4 years of this s#!t. Enjoy your free time on game days.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

So burying your head in the sand because your convinced Frost is going to reverse 4 years of crappy football in his tenure is your answer?

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Remember the good ole days of Bill Callahan winning 9-10 games a year every year, and how Pelini messed that up?

Ha...No kidding!

Bo literally had NU 1/2 each year but one season.  

Now NU is literally last or second to last each season and we have fans that think Frost needs more time.

I get there are close games, but they are close games vs crap teams for the most part. 

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

From my perspective, apathy sets in and becomes engrained if Frost is retained after a 3-9 season.  A new coach brings interest and hope of something better. 

This is where I'm at too.  If NU ends up 3-9 or 4-8, there isn't any positive momentum going into next season, and the stories will be re-hashed in terms of "How will Frost be able to turn around the program."  I am usually super pumped about the season every year, but my interest will be pretty low if Frost comes back.

• Plus1 1

Here's the thing. We all like to say, I'm not watching if Frost is retain, or I'm not watching if Frost is fired. You know who will have tangible data on this? Trev will. Trev isn't firing Frost if it means less donations, less butts in the seats, less interest in the program. If Frost is canned after this year - it'll be because Trev knows retaining him will be detrimental to the program. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

This is where I'm at too.  If NU ends up 3-9 or 4-8, there isn't any positive momentum going into next season, and the stories will be re-hashed in terms of "How will Frost be able to turn around the program."  I am usually super pumped about the season every year, but my interest will be pretty low if Frost comes back.

Yes, if he is retained, all of next year will be about, will he keep his job, will he be fired after the first major loss, etc.   A year of egg shell walking instead of anticipation of something better.  If it is egg shell walking, then I'll be tuning out.  I'm passionate now because I care deeply for the program - being a fan since 1970 as a 8th grader.  But if Trev punts this can down the road, it will go to the wrong side again and I'll be content doing 'honey dos' on Saturdays. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, if he is retained, all of next year will be about, will he keep his job, will he be fired after the first major loss, etc.   A year of egg shell walking instead of anticipation of something better.  If it is egg shell walking, then I'll be tuning out.  I'm passionate now because I care deeply for the program - being a fan since 1970 as a 8th grader.  But if Trev punts this can down the road, it will go to the wrong side again and I'll be content doing 'honey dos' on Saturdays. 

I will still watch all the games, because that's what I do each Saturday.  But my passion and interest in the results won't change unless there is an amazing turnaround next season.  Even if Frost improves things to 6-6, is that a significant step forward?  I wouldn't think so.

• Plus1 1

I truly like college football and Nebraska is my team.  I'll watch regardless of what happens or doesn't happen.  It's still fun to me.  I know that isn't the norm in this day and age so I do see the OPs point.  If Frost is retained and he loses significant talent to the portal, it could be a really bad offseason.  If he is retained and nobody bails, I would actually have quite a bit of hope as this would be a sign his guys aren't quitting on him.  Maybe Frost and staff learn from mistakes and we improve?  Unlikely but it could happen so I would be a fan and hope.  If Frost is replaced, I'll jump right on the bandwagon and cheer for the next coach.     

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I will still watch all the games, because that's what I do each Saturday.  But my passion and interest in the results won't change unless there is an amazing turnaround next season.  Even if Frost improves things to 6-6, is that a significant step forward?  I wouldn't think so.

I havent been emotionally invested since the Illinois loss. It told me we hadnt made the progress I was anticipating or expecting. Now looking at the possibility of only beating 1 P5 team in 10 tries this year is a very possible likelihood. For the first time in a long time I didnt really dive to deep into recruiting etc because we had no interest from high caliber high school players. I imagine this will continue if we continue with Frost. So not only will I be losing interest and investment in the games on Saturdays I am also realizing I am tuning out of the offseason stuff. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1