Level of Interest

tmfr15

2 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I havent been emotionally invested since the Illinois loss. It told me we hadnt made the progress I was anticipating or expecting. Now looking at the possibility of only beating 1 P5 team in 10 tries this year is a very possible likelihood. For the first time in a long time I didnt really dive to deep into recruiting etc because we had no interest from high caliber high school players. I imagine this will continue if we continue with Frost. So not only will I be losing interest and investment in the games on Saturdays I am also realizing I am tuning out of the offseason stuff. 

I joined the Okla Cornhusker Club in 2000.  I was not able to go to the club for the Illinois game.  After seeing the results, I decide that to renew my membership this year and watch from afar - listening to the game and catching them when I could on TV.  I'll rejoin next year when we hire a new coach as I'll have something to look forward to.  

• Plus1 1

We have not been close in one score games just this year.......5-18 (0-6 this year) over a 4 year period.  The mathematical probability of this (IIRC) is .411%....Winning 11 or more probability is 66%......"Getting close" isn't something new.  It is our identity.  It has happened every year since Frost has been here....Listening to Frost in the pressers, the frustration of the kids and Beckton talking about guys having to "grind" more.......This is year 4.  No answers.  No changes......Even though our offensive production ranks 7th in the nation IIRC, we are almost dead last in amount of yards per point at like 16.1 yards to get1 point.....So yes, we move the ball amazingly well, but we FAIL TO SCORE.  

These are all Frost's kids.  His recruits.  Remember when he came in and bad mouthed Riley?  Even talked about when he "got his guys"?  He has them and we suck.  What other excuses are there.  They need to work harder.  Motivate themselves.  Bring their own juice......Maybe it's just the teams I watch on in college throughout the week, but I see coaches on the sidelines showing excitement on a good play.  Grabbing the kids, jumping on them, high fives  etc.....I see them firing the kids up.  I also see them lighting kids up for bad plays.  Like a guys 3rd off sides......Our staff does none of this.  At least none I ever see.  I also never see our captains getting onto or encouraging guys.  Like watching Caleb Williams with OU.  True freshman.  Dude is in the ST's huddle encouraging guys.....

I think Frost is done.  Whether he is fired or not.  Just appears to be mentally spent.  Time for both sides to part ways.  And to think NU can't get better......

And Frost or not next year, I will still watch every game and cheer from my living room.  Excited when they win, just apathy if they lose.  The apathy is already real....

• Plus1 2

I hope Frost stays and rights the ship, honestly. Does he really deserve another year? No. 

But, aside from '22, he's putting together what looks to be pretty good recruiting classes after. Dylan Raiola is a possible commit. We were a few bonehead plays away from beating 3 ranked teams. I'd like to think the bounces finally start to go our way before too long.

But if he's given the axe, it's another few years of crap until *hopefully* the next staff puts it together. We can't continue being a revolving door of coaching staffs and hope to get back. 

If Frost is let go, Trev has A LOT of pressure in choosing the next coach and staff. Outside of Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops, most of the candidates seem pretty underwhelming. We all knew Riley was a terrible choice after Eichorst canned Pelini. If Trev picks another Riley-type guy,  I don't see Nebraska football ever being relevant again. 

....until maybe, FINALLY, we get an option guy back in Lincoln. Now THAT would be interesting.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I truly like college football and Nebraska is my team.  I'll watch regardless of what happens or doesn't happen.  It's still fun to me.  I know that isn't the norm in this day and age so I do see the OPs point.  If Frost is retained and he loses significant talent to the portal, it could be a really bad offseason.  If he is retained and the nobody bails, I would actually have quite a bit of hope as this would be a sign his guys aren't quitting on him.  Maybe Frost and staff learn from mistakes and we improve?  Unlikely but it could happen so I would be a fan and hope.  If Frost is replaced, I'll jump right on the bandwagon and cheer for the next coach.     

this staff of coaches will not improve, SS, DD.

I think this year is proof that Frost is in over his head. If we stay competitive with tOSU and beat Iowa and Wisconsin I can see giving him another year with the requirement that he reboots the offensive staff. I don't see that happening, though. I see us going 3-9 and at that point you need to let him go. Don't envy Trev at all.

With that said, I bleed husker red and will scream my head off for the team regardless if Frost returns or not.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, EngineeringHusker said:

If we get a new coach we know all of the people still on the frost train will still watch, at least in the hopes that they were right.

Seems to me then that there would in general be more apathy and less interest if he's retained.

It will be the Howard Stern effect!

The people that hate the new hire will be watching to see mistakes/blowups/blowouts.  

I have a friend who is a Broncos fan and hates the current HC. He was actively rooting for the other team because he wanted the coach to be fired. I can't do that. I can't be happy when the team is losing.

Point is that we all know there will be people wanting three blow out losses because, in that case, 3-9 and they think, "No way can Frost be retained."

I am conflicted because in the case that we lose all three, but by seven points or less, it still gives me no hope that things are going to change, but some fear that close losses to those three will be seen as progress. And we have seen progress. It works until it doesn't. Progress should include a rise to victory, not a constant state of losing close to some good and some bad teams.

The desired outcome then is clear and decisive wins in the next three where we play complete games (O-D and St). Probably not going to happen, but I can't cheer against Nebraska. Just can't

• Plus1 1

59 minutes ago, EngineeringHusker said:

If we get a new coach we know all of the people still on the frost train will still watch, at least in the hopes that they were right.

Some Frost fans may follow him to his new team.  IF he decides to work at all after being released from here with his 80 billion dollars or whatever it is.  Maybe he and Riley will go into the tropical hammock business together.  Maybe he'll coach Kansas for free.

• Haha 1

Husker Failure is not being tolerated very well by anyone who cares about the Big Red.

Nor was it tolerated very well in places like Arkansas and Tennessee and USC and other once-strong powers that have experienced a recent history of problems after riding high for years.

By design, we play and watch sports for instance gratification. And failure never mixes well with that. Our level of interest will rise and fall with the success of the team. That is just natural. No one wants to invest time, energy (and money) in a losing cause.

Patience is not seen as much of a virtue any more. Both Husker Nation and at the Big Ten corporate level hopes to see the Husker legacy restored to prominence to build excitement (and ratings). But the other Big Ten programs have no reason to want that. They are more than happy to let the Huskers languish which provides a clearer path for their own success. And Ohio State and Michigan and Michigan State will always view Nebraska as an outsider late-comer.

Any sports team owes their fans a good faith effort to be successful. It is a contract of faith that goes both ways. And when fans detect that their team’s efforts are lacking or missing the mark, then that faith has been breeched. 

The last twenty-plus years has been an unintended test of endurance for Husker fans. And not a test that anybody wanted.

3 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I havent been emotionally invested since the Illinois loss. It told me we hadnt made the progress I was anticipating or expecting. Now looking at the possibility of only beating 1 P5 team in 10 tries this year is a very possible likelihood. For the first time in a long time I didnt really dive to deep into recruiting etc because we had no interest from high caliber high school players. I imagine this will continue if we continue with Frost. So not only will I be losing interest and investment in the games on Saturdays I am also realizing I am tuning out of the offseason stuff. 

I give you credit Hedley for maintaining interest that long.  The meltdown at CU in 2019 was the last time I was invested in a game.  In terms of player recruitment, there is no question that the word is out with potential targets that our situation is shaky at best.  You see the on-field results and combine those with messages from competitors and it is only natural that a player would be hesitant to commit.  

The UCF file has long been closed and no longer has any relevance or utility...

Martinez needs to go. Another year of him and we are destined for the same results. Sorry but a 5th year starting Senior Adrian Martinez is no better than the 2nd year starting Sophmore Martinez. Sticking with Martinez and the lack of building a competitive offensive line is Frost's downfall. If he had to stick with Martinez because there really was no other QB that was better than him, then that is also part of Frost's downfall, the inability to develop a QB better than Martinez.