Level of Interest

tmfr15

21 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

If he had to stick with Martinez because there really was no other QB that was better than him, then that is also part of Frost's downfall, the inability to develop a QB better than Martinez.

I believe you just described what is known as a paradox.

And on this same train of thought, can Frost cook a burrito so hot that even he can't eat it??

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tmfr15 said:

I have a friend who is a Broncos fan and hates the current HC. He was actively rooting for the other team because he wanted the coach to be fired. I can't do that. I can't be happy when the team is losing.

I'm also a Broncos fan and want the coach fired, but it is different than Nebraska for many reasons. First, if an NFL team loses, it improves their draft stock next year. Second, being a fan of a pro sports team is way different than being a fan of a college team where you actually went to school. I gave my blood, sweat, tears, and lots of money to the University of Nebraska. It is much more of an emotional investment as a Husker fan, and there is never any benefit to losing. I would never cheer against Nebraska, and even though I definitely think Frost should be fired, it hurts me to say it and will be sad when it happens but still hope we win.

The Broncos on the other hand? I like them, but it's not personal to me, so f**k it they can keep losing and fire everyone.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, Ulty said:

I'm also a Broncos fan and want the coach fired, but it is different than Nebraska for many reasons. First, if an NFL team loses, it improves their draft stock next year. Second, being a fan of a pro sports team is way different than being a fan of a college team where you actually went to school. I gave my blood, sweat, tears, and lots of money to the University of Nebraska. It is much more of an emotional investment as a Husker fan, and there is never any benefit to losing. I would never cheer against Nebraska, and even though I definitely think Frost should be fired, it hurts me to say it and will be sad when it happens but still hope we win.

The Broncos on the other hand? I like them, but it's not personal to me, so f**k it they can keep losing and fire everyone.

I'm not a Broncos fan, but I live in the Denver area.  Fangio is a terrible coach, but I also think the Broncos will be a mess until they figure out their ownership situation.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BoNeyard said:

Martinez needs to go. Another year of him and we are destined for the same results. Sorry but a 5th year starting Senior Adrian Martinez is no better than the 2nd year starting Sophmore Martinez. Sticking with Martinez and the lack of building a competitive offensive line is Frost's downfall. If he had to stick with Martinez because there really was no other QB that was better than him, then that is also part of Frost's downfall, the inability to develop a QB better than Martinez.

As many problems as Martinez has they don't have anybody to replace him. I've read people that have seen practices describe Smothers as McCaffrey v2.0.

Regardless if Frost stays or we have somebody new coaching they need to hit the portal hard to find a quality QB which is probably easier said than done.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

As many problems as Martinez has they don't have anybody to replace him. I've read people that have seen practices describe Smothers as McCaffrey v2.0.

Regardless if Frost stays or we have somebody new coaching they need to hit the portal hard to find a quality QB which is probably easier said than done.

That is on the coaching staff for not developing better QB's. It's just the most important position in the entire sport.

• Plus1 1

58 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I don’t think anyone on HB would ever cheer against the Huskers or our coach. I still want Frost to win but I don’t think it will happen 

In my heart, I'd love it if he wins the next 3 by 20 per and clearly shows he knows what he is doing.  My eyes and my head clearly show me we won't and he hasn't a clue. If the folks who insist he be kept were able to set the rose colored glasses aside it's plain as day.

1 minute ago, runningblind said:

In my heart, I'd love it if he wins the next 3 by 20 per and clearly shows he knows what he is doing.  My eyes and my head clearly show me we won't and he hasn't a clue. If the folks who insist he be kept were able to set the rose colored glasses aside it's plain as day.

Yes it is.  His body language, his post game presser, - everything points that he is over his head and he knows it.  Most of us know it too and I hope Trev sees it clearly.

Honor him for the player he was, his desire to fix Nebraska as a coach but honor the program by moving forward with someone else.  Time for another Devaney. Someone to make a whole new stamp on the program - someone not from our past.  

As I loo at the names being thrown out there as hopeful replacements, I see some very talented guys who I think could get the job done.  Chadwell, O'Brein, Herman, Army's coach, Air Force coach, Deboer from Fresno, Kiffen (doubt he'd come but my top 2), Fickell, Campbell (doubtful), etc, etc.  all of these guys had more HC experience than Frost did before he came here.  They had a system in place and they have worked it.  I'm still trying to figure out Frost's system.  

How about this... Bill O'brian is the hire but Frost stays on as OC because he love NU and just wants to see it shine.. Then he takes back over in 10 years when he's ready and O'Brian tries his hand one more time in the NFL at the Jags or the Browns or some equally woeful NFL franchise that can never have a successful coach. Make it happen, Trev

• Haha 3

I think it's in one's interest to take a hard look at themselves. What we are doing. Where are the critics wrong. Where might the critics be right. Emotions set aside accepting hard truths. How can I make this better. Demonstrate it. And then ask for help. Doing those things together will usually encourage good things happening.

There's nothing wrong with fans holding their coach accountable! It works that way too right? Like teammates do. There's been improvement, yes. But more is needed! Much more.

Suppose the guy, the coach of your team doesn't talk so much about changes and does them. You see clearly that he's making an effort. And then, comes to you sincerely and says it's going to be a dog fight. It's going to take everything we've got and then some. We need you there, every inch of the way through this game, this season. 

What the 12'th person does is help get the ball rolling and helps maintain it. Momentum. And pushes back against momentum of the opponents. What many people are saying maybe, is that I'm tired mentally. I'm willing to do pushing alongside you and this script is making it very difficult without some demonstration on your part. If the reward for participation is disappointments over and over again with few rewards, it should come as no surprise when people disengage. The fan. 

That's where I'm at. I want evidence that the coach can fix this. Witness it happening. I think that these issues are fixable. That you CAN do it. I'm just not sure how willing you are to do the things I'm viewing as necessary. As a fan, I'm here to support you. You've got to do your part too. If I see reluctance and more excuses, that's going to be problematic. 

I agree with the OP. My interest level is waning. I really don’t care if they replace Frost or not. He doesn’t deserve to be retained unless the team finishes with 3 strong wins (which isn’t going to happen). But I don’t care if they keep him for falling short of that either. I’ve put up with s#!tty football for 20+ years and it just doesn’t matter that much to me anymore.

My problem isn’t just with Nebraska but with CFB in general. The sport and environment has changed. Transfer portal, NIL, more business and less school pride. None of it for the better imo. I’m sure I’ll keep watching and hoping if only because I don’t know how not to but it doesn’t ruin half a week for me anymore when they lose. I was there for the glory years and I know this program is never going to come close to that level of domination again no matter who they get or what they do. So whatever they do is fine with me. I find the endless speculation of who/how/when for another coach to be exhausting and boring. Apathy has won.

• Plus1 2
On 11/5/2021 at 12:13 AM, tmfr15 said:

It looks to be the fifth consecutive non bowl season in Lincoln. And, as a fan, that’s pretty deflating. I know most of us were big fans of Frost. It seemed like a slam dunk. It has been anything but that. 

It is not quite that bad, or maybe it is even worse, depending on how you look at it. Technically, last year was a "bowl game year" (just like technically the sellout streak is in place) but the head coach allowed a few players to decide that they no longer wanted to play, so he made the decision to miss out on not only the bowl game, but the additional practices that came with it. It was at that point that HCSF became a real loser. Who does that?

Make the entire B1G stronger and get rid of him sooner than later.

On 11/5/2021 at 8:08 AM, TGHusker said:

Yes, if he is retained, all of next year will be about, will he keep his job, will he be fired after the first major loss, etc.   A year of egg shell walking instead of anticipation of something better.  If it is egg shell walking, then I'll be tuning out.  I'm passionate now because I care deeply for the program - being a fan since 1970 as a 8th grader.  But if Trev punts this can down the road, it will go to the wrong side again and I'll be content doing 'honey dos' on Saturdays. 

Bump