Trev’s Big Decision - SSO Article Herbie's Hangout

14 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Interesting in depth read on Trev's upcoming decision from ShortSideOption at Herbie's Hangout.

Trev’s Big Decision 2.0

A good writeup overall and here are some key takeaways:

• In looking at all the coaches we have fired this century,  "Quite honestly, firing Frost would be the most warranted firing we’ve had if you look at record and results"  I fully agree with that statement
  • The article really pushes back on some who claim nobody would ever want to come to Nebraska and gives reasons why
  • Where I disagree is the notion that winning only 1 of the next 3 may be enough for Frost to keep his job.  I really think he needs a minimum of 2 wins if not all 3

Thanks for sharing.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

I had this planned for the bye week, but i’m hearing we should probably get a statement in the next 72 hours. If we get one, all is well in Husker land. If it’s radio silent… not good.

This seem odd to anyone else?... IDK what OSU teaches us minus us winning or us losing in historic fashion. He's indicating a decision will be made after OSU? Is it a bowl thing, like Frost needed to be 6-6? Seems to me losing this but beating Wisconsin and Iowa would definitely give Frost another year. Also should get a statement meaning there may have already been a decision to retain him?

Not sure if this guy is blowing smoke or knows stuff

• Plus1 3
Just now, FrantzHardySwag said:

This seem odd to anyone else?... IDK what OSU teaches us minus us winning or us losing in historic fashion. He's indicating a decision will be made after OSU? Is it a bowl thing, like Frost needed to be 6-6? Seems to me losing this but beating Wisconsin and Iowa would definitely give Frost another year.

Yes, definitely seems weird. Could even back our way into a bowl at 5-7. 

I also have a difficult time believing a statement one way or another would prove calming. Either Trev says “Scott will stay on as our coach” and half the fan base freaks out. Or Trev says “Scott will not be our coach” and the other half freaks out. 

3 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

This seem odd to anyone else?... IDK what OSU teaches us minus us winning or us losing in historic fashion. He's indicating a decision will be made after OSU? Is it a bowl thing, like Frost needed to be 6-6? Seems to me losing this but beating Wisconsin and Iowa would definitely give Frost another year.

I agree.  Unless something has been or is about to be decided regardless of remaining 3 outcomes.  Which, I guess would be contrary to what our consensus of the last games mattering is now??

1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

This seem odd to anyone else?... IDK what OSU teaches us minus us winning or us losing in historic fashion. He's indicating a decision will be made after OSU? Is it a bowl thing, like Frost needed to be 6-6? Seems to me losing this but beating Wisconsin and Iowa would definitely give Frost another year. Also should get a statement meaning there may have already been a decision to retain him?

Not sure if this guy is blowing smoke or knows stuff

IMO. And if this is true, they are keeping him regardless and will make a statement because this is impacting recruiting. That is the only way you have a statement planned 72 hrs out, when with a win Frost will have finally secured his signature win.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

I hope they're right about the 'Lincoln still being an attractive place for coaches' part. Because I remember in 2003/04, it wasn't. If Trev gets rid of Frost, it BETTER be a big get. 

I am still on the IF we let Frost go boat.  I think the next 3 games matter.  But if we do move on...  

What is a "big get"?  One the fans are excited about like Frost?  Predicting how a coach will perform is challenging as hell.  Looking around the country - I don't know many people that though Mel would have MSU in the top 5 or that chip Kelly would have a losing record in years 1, 2, 3, and maybe 4.  How do you predict how a coach will do?  Obviously some very high paid people across the country have no idea.  That's why we see coaches get fired every year.  I guess my point is, I would rather see us take less of a gamble going after a big name, splash hire, than I would see us go after someone who has proven time and again they can rebuild a program.

One that I think we should consider who wouldn't likely fit the "big get" title would be Dave Clawson.  He has proven he can take a down team and get them winning at each of his 4 stops.  I also think he is a guy that would view the Nebraska job as very desirable.   

Job #1

1999 - 0-11 record

2002 - 10-3 record

2003 - 9-3 record

Job #2

2004 - 3-8 record

2007 - 11-3 record

Job #3

2009 - 7-6 record

2010 - 2-10 record

2013 - 10-3 record

Job #4

2014 - 3-9 record

2015 - 3-9 record

2021 - 8-0 record so far     

1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

I hope they're right about the 'Lincoln still being an attractive place for coaches' part. Because I remember in 2003/04, it wasn't. If Trev gets rid of Frost, it BETTER be a big get. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The issue in 2003 was Pedey was firing a coach with a winning record.  Frost isn't Solich.

Let's not forget that in 2003, Trev was in full agreement with Pederson on firing a 9-3 coach...

• Plus1 1