Trev’s Big Decision - SSO Article Herbie's Hangout

1 hour ago, Toe said:

Let's not forget that in 2003, Trev was in full agreement with Pederson on firing a 9-3 coach...

Yeah, I remember that. Even Mark May disagreed with Pederson's decision. Maybe the only time Mark May was ever right about something.

But Trev did give some context. He had mistakenly assumed that Osborne and others were on-board with the decision; maybe some of the off-the-field rumors were true and warranted such a shocking move. After he heard that this was pretty much just Pederson's decision (maybe along with Perlman?), he changed his mind and came out pretty strongly against Pederson. Of course, I think this was after Callahan was tanking in his first season in Lincoln. 

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

I am still on the IF we let Frost go boat.  I think the next 3 games matter.  But if we do move on...  

What is a "big get"?  One the fans are excited about like Frost?  Predicting how a coach will perform is challenging as hell.  Looking around the country - I don't know many people that though Mel would have MSU in the top 5 or that chip Kelly would have a losing record in years 1, 2, 3, and maybe 4.  How do you predict how a coach will do?  Obviously some very high paid people across the country have no idea.  That's why we see coaches get fired every year.  I guess my point is, I would rather see us take less of a gamble going after a big name, splash hire, than I would see us go after someone who has proven time and again they can rebuild a program.

One that I think we should consider who wouldn't likely fit the "big get" title would be Dave Clawson.  He has proven he can take a down team and get them winning at each of his 4 stops.  I also think he is a guy that would view the Nebraska job as very desirable.   

Job #1

1999 - 0-11 record

2002 - 10-3 record

2003 - 9-3 record

Job #2

2004 - 3-8 record

2007 - 11-3 record

Job #3

2009 - 7-6 record

2010 - 2-10 record

2013 - 10-3 record

Job #4

2014 - 3-9 record

2015 - 3-9 record

2021 - 8-0 record so far     

*Maybe* Clawson could get something rolling here. Would people be willing to wait? Hard to say. 

To me, a 'big get' is Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops. Outside of those guys, I don't know who is going to out-recruit the likes of Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, or even Minnesota for a lot of blue-chips. 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Well the good news about the transfer portal is it works both ways.  If we land a good coach who knows how to get the most out of the talent, and that new coach can pull in some good players in the transfer portal, he has the ability to come in and have easy success.  I actually think the transfer portal makes coaching transitions easier now than in year's past and Mel Tucker's success this year is a prime example.

I love all the Mel Tucker talk. He is SUCH a good coach it took the worst possible mistake a punter could have possibly made late in the 4th quarter to stop what you consider to be the worst husker team in decades from not only upsetting them, but doing it in fairly dominant fashion.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

*Maybe* Clawson could get something rolling here. Would people be willing to wait? Hard to say. 

To me, a 'big get' is Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops. Outside of those guys, I don't know who is going to out-recruit the likes of Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, or even Minnesota for a lot of blue-chips. 

I just don't see Urban or Stoops taking the gamble coaching here.  Why take a chance at potentially tarnishing your career at Nebraska?  Neither guy should need the money and if either wanted a college job, there are other openings that provide an easier path to success imo.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm not excited about Clawson.  I just think hiring an experienced guy who has successfully conducted 2+ rebuilds would make the most sense.    

3 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I love all the Mel Tucker talk. He is SUCH a good coach it took the worst possible mistake a punter could have possibly made late in the 4th quarter to stop what you consider to be the worst husker team in decades from not only upsetting them, but doing it in fairly dominant fashion.

this is not the own you think it is. you've gotta stop with the self owns man...

Mel tucker is no Tom Osborne. but guess what? how bad does scott frost have to be to be unable to recognize and adjust to two punt returners on the field in a critical game winning, program-defining moment? 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, thatguy said:

this is not the own you think it is. you've gotta stop with the self owns man...

Mel tucker is no Tom Osborne. but guess what? how bad does scott frost have to be to be unable to recognize and adjust to two punt returners on the field in a critical game winning, program-defining moment? 

Tucker is basically having the season that Frost should be having right now.

Which makes this season even more annoying.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Who is going to donate the 20,000,000 in guaranteed salary.

I look at this from a different angle.  The athletic department is already going to the well, trying to figure out how to prop this sellout streak up with all the "red carpet" and BOGO stuff.  If Frost is retained for another year, and the team isn't trending in a winning direction (i.e. 6-6 or 5-7 while winning the last two games), how can this athletic department overcome the lost revenue when the stadium is half full next year? 

Trev, Ronnie, and Ted may decide to bring him back.  But, it seems like one hell of a gamble because if the team continues to lose to the "lesser" B1G west teams (hard to call any team in the west a "lesser" team, I know...which is its own kind of sad) Memorial Stadium is going to be next to impossible to fill.  In my opinion, the lost revenue from another crappy season, just like the last four years, is going to far outweigh the $20 million for his buyout.

• Plus1 3
Just now, teachercd said:

I was typing that when you posted- spot on.  Michigan State isn't great and will probably finish well outside the top 10.  But they will be a 10+ win team who won they games they should win.  Nebraska could have been an 8-10 win team this year.  

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

41 minutes ago, teachercd said:

This thread has more laughing faces than I have ever seen...

Someone here is really a Frost lover...which I can respect.  I am as well but I just feel like he is not the right coach.

Yes there are a few posters that get upset at any criticism of Frost or anyone who feels we need to move in a different direction and will simply add a laughing face to every post.  I noticed this picked up after the loss to Purdue and the realization that Frost may really not be around for Year 5.  I will continue to support Frost and the team over these next 3 games, but my allegiance is to the Nebraska program overall and not to a singular head coach.

28 minutes ago, rocketlb said:

I look at this from a different angle.  The athletic department is already going to the well, trying to figure out how to prop this sellout streak up with all the "red carpet" and BOGO stuff.  If Frost is retained for another year, and the team isn't trending in a winning direction (i.e. 6-6 or 5-7 while winning the last two games), how can this athletic department overcome the lost revenue when the stadium is half full next year? 

Trev, Ronnie, and Ted may decide to bring him back.  But, it seems like one hell of a gamble because if the team continues to lose to the "lesser" B1G west teams (hard to call any team in the west a "lesser" team, I know...which is its own kind of sad) Memorial Stadium is going to be next to impossible to fill.  In my opinion, the lost revenue from another crappy season, just like the last four years, is going to far outweigh the $20 million for his buyout.

Well said.  It's not only the lost revenue from the 2022 season but it also increases the changes of future seasons having struggles as recruiting is already down this year and it will continue to get worse next year when prospective recruits are uncertain if Frost would survive Year 5 (if he gets a 5th season).  The only thing that could have changed this outlook is for the team to win games and unfortunately they have not.  

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I dislike Mel Tucker just because he was able to beat NU after being dominated the entire 2nd half, and now he is thought of as this amazing coach.  I give him credit for being undefeated so far, and I still have no idea how Michigan pissed the MSU game away.  Tucker will get a fat extension from Michigan State (if he doesn't leave for another job) and he will be laughing every other Friday when he sees that direct deposit hit his bank account.

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Mel Tucker has won more conference games this year than Frost has won the prior 2 years combined.  He has his team 8-0 and winning competitive games.  He inherited a program whose team recruiting rankings from 2017 to 2020 were lower than Nebraska's team recruiting rankings during that same period of time.  Nobody is saying he is the next Nick Saban but he has definitely shown more in 2 years at MSU than Frost has shown in 4 years at Nebraska.

• Plus1 4