Trev’s Big Decision - SSO Article Herbie's Hangout

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

According to a lot of fans I encountered on Twitter this weekend, they are in firm support of Frost, and a big reason to them is because Frost "is who he is, and that's a positive intangible for Nebraska".  I don't see how Frost's national championship as a player means anything for his success as a coach, but that's how a lot of people feel.

I have looked across twitter and other forums and I do hear a lot wanting to keep Frost no matter what (even if we were 1-11), but if you dig deeper in some threads you see a lot of replies for those wanting to move in a new direction.  I believe many that want to keep Frost do so because they like him personally and not because they believe he is doing a good job or that he has met expectations in the 4th year.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, captain_sasquatch said:

It's tough. I grew up in the 90's and Frost was my hero as a kid. Going from getting booed to winning a natty was inspirational to me. I just say that to note my pretty clear bias.

I'm also a businessman and looking at this from a business-like angle, I think the ROI of a successful Frost is significantly higher than a successful coach not named Frost. He can rally the fanbase better than anyone else and that will mean more $$$ with success. How much does 1 more year of Frost actually hurt the overall athletic department? It's clear that the boosters will buy up tickets to keep the sellout streak alive and it doesn't get much worse than where we are. One more year also lessens the buyout and saves you money. A reboot of the offensive staff gives you a great shot at that huge ROI of a successful Frost and his lessened buyout covers their salary and then some.

With that said, in their Sunday meetings Trev has to be saying: "C'mon dude you gotta give me SOMETHING here good lord." Frost HAS to win at least 1 more game and be competitive in the other to stay. Even then you can absolutely make the argument he doesn't deserve it. 

Thanks for sharing. I too come at this decision with my experience leading other leaders and I have had to make the tough decision to dismiss some leaders I liked a lot personally for consistently missing expectations.  It's a tough thing to do when you like somebody personally, but I also know that others realized it was the necessary decision to make and it honestly helped those meeting expectations to increase their respect and confidence in the direction being taken.  

As for the ROI, I think this is a touch one to gauge.  How do you properly gauge lost sales/revenue from growing apathy by the fan base?  Also, how much harder will it be to rebuild if next year's recruiting class is as poor as this one appears to be?  Having 2 straight subpar recruiting classes will set the program up for more struggles down the road. Now the transfer portal would make it easier for a new coach to come in and fill some gaps, but it's still a good idea to have a steady stream of good high school recruits.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I would throw Michigan State into the group of Illinois, Minnesota, and Purdue, especially given Purdue beat Michigan State over the weekend.  Even if NU had gone 2-2 in those 4 games, NU is at 5-5 with a chance to go bowling.  Everyone for Frost points to the close losses and that "the Big Ten is tough".  Yes the Big Ten is tough, and teams have upset wins/losses each weekend, but NU is the only team that doesn't get those wins.  That's what is driving me to want to get rid of Frost.

Let's say TA terminates HCSF.  Do you wonder if a new HC (selection) could divide the fan base, particularly if the choice for HC isn't who they wanted?  Or that their choice for HC wasn't picked?  I just wonder if many Husker fans will be bent no matter what.  And I just hope we don't come to that. 

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, admo said:

Let's say TA terminates HCSF.  Do you wonder if a new HC (selection) could divide the fan base, particularly if the choice for HC isn't who they wanted?  Or that their choice for HC wasn't picked?  I just wonder if many Husker fans will be bent no matter what.  And I just hope we don't come to that. 

There is division currently on whether Frost should be retained or not.  Frost had near unanimous approval when he was hired.  It's his losing which has created this division.  A winning program is what will unite the fans.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, admo said:

It definitely depends on the pick. If it was an Urban Meyer or a Bob Stoops? No problems. But a Bill O'Brien, or even an assistant with no head coaching experience? That would be bad. I think we could all get behind guys like Aranda, Napier, DeBoer, or Chadwell, but none of them bring any assurance they'll get us over the hump. 

Personally, I want Jeff Monken or Troy Calhoun. I believe that style of football would immediately set us apart from the rest of the conference, help the defense, and give us a chance, almost immediately, to win the West. But that's just me.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There is division currently on whether Frost should be retained or not.  Frost had near unanimous approval when he was hired.  It's his losing which has created this division.  A winning program is what will unite the fans.

Oh I agree, the base is definitely divided and probably leans heavier towards cutting ties at the end of season.  I lean towards one more year with Frost, but it won't upset me either way.

I just recall the long a$$ 4 seasons I had to endure, the moment Callahan was named HC. I was not a fan prior to, and shocked & devastated.  And when Riley was announced, I talked myself into "mmmaybe this could work?" until the season started.  That was 3 long years.

I don't ever blame Callahan or Riley.  Neither picked up the phone and called Nebraska.  The administration reached out to them and offered them the job.  It's not his fault (Callahan/Riley) that the kid can't read!

But still, I guess my point is that they have to do this next hire right (again, if HCSF doesn't remain after this year or next).  It makes me nervous.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, admo said:

But still, I guess my point is that they have to do this next hire right (again, if HCSF doesn't remain after this year or next).  It makes me nervous.

Oh yeah, it will make me nervous, as well.  New coaches aren't a sure thing.  But I would also be excited about a change at the top.

However, the alternative would make me frustrated because of my opinion that good coaches who succeed at a school will show tangible win-loss progress within the first 4 years (usually within 2-3 years).  History shows that waiting for a coach to "figure it out" usually doesn't happen.  Also, what is an acceptable record going forward to keep bringing Frost back?

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Oh yeah, it will make me nervous, as well.  New coaches aren't a sure thing.  But I would also be excited about a change at the top.

However, the alternative would make me frustrated because of my opinion that good coaches who succeed at a school will show tangible win-loss progress within the first 4 years (usually within 2-3 years).  History shows that waiting for a coach to "figure it out" usually doesn't happen.  Also, what is an acceptable record going forward to keep bringing Frost back?

But we are so close!!!!

ok i will see myself out

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Thanks for sharing. I too come at this decision with my experience leading other leaders and I have had to make the tough decision to dismiss some leaders I liked a lot personally for consistently missing expectations.  It's a tough thing to do when you like somebody personally, but I also know that others realized it was the necessary decision to make and it honestly helped those meeting expectations to increase their respect and confidence in the direction being taken.  

As for the ROI, I think this is a touch one to gauge.  How do you properly gauge lost sales/revenue from growing apathy by the fan base?  Also, how much harder will it be to rebuild if next year's recruiting class is as poor as this one appears to be?  Having 2 straight subpar recruiting classes will set the program up for more struggles down the road. Now the transfer portal would make it easier for a new coach to come in and fill some gaps, but it's still a good idea to have a steady stream of good high school recruits.  

Definitely see your perspective and agree with it more than I disagree with it. I think if I were Trev I would cut ties if I was very sure I had a fantastic replacement. Maybe not even a homerun (i.e. Stoops or Petersen). That's also up in the air. It's clear with the split in the fanbase currently that the lows with Frost are a whole lot higher than the lows would be with anyone else. It's a triage-type situation and I find it to be oddly balanced. If we make a move now we need to see some demonstrable progress right away as fan apathy continues to sink. Frost might buy you another year with where we currently are if you can't get a fantastic replacement in line. 

2 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I agree with you, those close losses can count in the moral victory column towards progress if you beat the teams in your weight class and below. If you are simply playing to just below the level of the team you are playing, are you even a decent team? 

So true.  I feel like the narrative has been, there's progress, we just play to the level of our competition too much.  Which, how that is worded, implies we are beating some teams when in reality we always seem to pull off something dumb or no show a large part of the game which leads to yet another loss. 

If anything our defense has given SF at least one more year.  While we have played better against some pretty good opponents we still don't have any sort of signature win at all, still get beat by teams such as Illinois, Minnesota and Purdue and there are still a myriad of head scratching other things that have become commonplace with SF's teams that are STILL ocurring.

I don't even know at this point.  Hanging in there with MSU, Michigan and Ohio St gives me hope.  On the other hand there are a lot of other tangible things that make me feel the exact opposite.  

I do think SF gets another year.  How that year plays out remains to be seen but they do have the schedule to finally be able to have a legit chance at a winning record.  Or do they???? 

Who knows...