Trev’s Big Decision - SSO Article Herbie's Hangout

2 hours ago, RichardHangslow said:

Realistically Frost needs to win all 3, that is why he was hired. The fans shouldn't lower our expectations based on his inability to get the job done. 

Realistically, that's not going to happen.

A decent showing against a clearly superior Ohio State counts for something.

A win against Ohio State covers Frost completely.

A win at Camp Randall counts for something.

A win against Iowa to end the season counts for something.

Two out of these three and I think the mood changes significantly.

One or none and it becomes strictly a conversation about Scott's contract and potential replacements, regardless of whether he gets an extra year. 

Also, check out Husker fan expectations on other sites: a ton of them are still all in on Scott Frost, think it would be a horrible mistake to fire him, and think it's only click bait sports reporters and a minority of crabby fans trying to drag Scott down.  Trev Alberts is hearing it from all sides. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

What is a "big get"?  One the fans are excited about like Frost?  Predicting how a coach will perform is challenging as hell.  Looking around the country - I don't know many people that though Mel would have MSU in the top 5 or that chip Kelly would have a losing record in years 1, 2, 3, and maybe 4.  How do you predict how a coach will do?  Obviously some very high paid people across the country have no idea. 

Nobody has any idea.

32 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I guess my point is, I would rather see us take less of a gamble going after a big name, splash hire, than I would see us go after someone who has proven time and again they can rebuild a program.

I think you have this backwards. Big name splash hires aren't the gamble, especially when they're "win championships" and "undefeated seasons" big, because at the very least you get the BIG name and a ton of recruiting and media momentum, which in and of itself can turn into wins.

Going after someone like the Wake Forest coach is the gamble. I mean they're all gambles, but that's moreso imo.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I think you have this backwards. Big name splash hires aren't the gamble, especially when they're "win championships" and "undefeated seasons" big, because at the very least you get the BIG name and a ton of recruiting and media momentum, which in and of itself can turn into wins.

You literally described hiring Frost... He won a championship.  He went undefeated.  We got a ton of recruiting and media momentum, but that hasn't resulted in wins yet.  

• Plus1 3

Whittling down the remaining schedule at any given point and saying "Winning X out of Y" remaining games probably doesn't make as much sense as a lot of people think it does.

It's about the final record and then a cumulative body of work across all 4 seasons.

Going 5-7 is still extremely pathetic because it means we lost three completely winnable games (Illinois, Minnesota, Purdue). Firing Scott this season is all about who you realistically have lined up as a home run hire.

And I think I'm waaaaay more skeptical than a lot of you about who is really get-able this year.

• Thanks 4

Wish I had time to whip out some dope MS-Paint graphics for y'all, but here's how I see it:

Finish 3-0: Keep Frost, or "mutually" agree to part ways/Frost "takes time off to be with growing family"  0% chance we finish 3-0

Finish 2-1: See above. 5% chance we finish 2-1

Finish 1-2: "mutually" agree/family option or fire Frost outright. 30% chance we go 1-2

Finish 0-3: Doesn't matter, Frost is gone. 65% chance we go 0-3 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

You literally described hiring Frost... He won a championship.  He went undefeated.  We got a ton of recruiting and media momentum, but that hasn't resulted in wins yet.  

Hence the first point, that nobody has any clue if any coach will end up being any good or not.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Undone said:

Firing Scott this season is all about who you realistically have lined up as a home run hire.

And I think I'm waaaaay more skeptical than a lot of you about who is really get-able this year.

Home-Run hire is a beauty in the eye of the beholder thing. All that matters is Trev thinks the person is a home-run hire. The debate on who is get-able is pretty pointless. 

• Haha 1
Just now, FrantzHardySwag said:

Home-Run hire is a beauty in the eye of the beholder thing. All that matters is Trev thinks the person is a home-run hire. The debate on who is get-able is pretty pointless. 

True.  I think we can all agree that Frost was a home run hire when we got him....Not so much now.  I'm with you, Trev will hire who he thinks will be the biggest bang for our buck.  

35 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

One or none and it becomes strictly a conversation about Scott's contract and potential replacements, regardless of whether he gets an extra year. 

Also, check out Husker fan expectations on other sites: a ton of them are still all in on Scott Frost, think it would be a horrible mistake to fire him, and think it's only click bait sports reporters and a minority of crabby fans trying to drag Scott down.  Trev Alberts is hearing it from all sides. 

Interesting analysis.  I have followed many comments on Twitter as well and it's a mixed bag.  There are some that would keep Frost no matter if we lose all 3 games and they seem to be in the camp that Frost needs to be able to finish out his current contract.  

I think the vast majority believe that finishing the season at 3-9 or 4-8 is grounds for firing. If we finish 6-6 then I believe most believe Frost should get a 5th season.  If we finish 5-7 is where I see a bit of gray as we still will have a losing season, missed out on a bowl, and lost to Illinois, Purdue and Minnesota.  Getting a win or two late season does not really discount multiple losses to the weaker division foes.  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

And then there'll be a mass exodus into the transfer portal and we'll be in for another 3-4 years of losing to Purdue and going 5-7.

Can't wait!

Well the good news about the transfer portal is it works both ways.  If we land a good coach who knows how to get the most out of the talent, and that new coach can pull in some good players in the transfer portal, he has the ability to come in and have easy success.  I actually think the transfer portal makes coaching transitions easier now than in year's past and Mel Tucker's success this year is a prime example.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
42 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This is why you have to be able to separate fact from feeling.

There is almost nothing Frost can do to keep his gig unless it is win out and win the lame bowl game.  

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Well the good news about the transfer portal is it works both ways.  If we land a good coach who knows how to get the most out of the talent, and that new coach can pull in some good players in the transfer portal, he has the ability to come in and have easy success.  I actually think the transfer portal makes coaching transitions easier now than in year's past and Mel Tucker's success this year is a prime example.

I think that BOB would own the portal.  Especially with high ranked kids that did not work/like their current situation.  Now the shine is off of "being the dude" and now it is all about starting and making the NFL.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1