Trev’s Big Decision - SSO Article Herbie's Hangout

1 hour ago, Undone said:

And then there'll be a mass exodus into the transfer portal and we'll be in for another 3-4 years of losing to Purdue and going 5-7.

Can't wait!

So our 80th ranked class and last in the B1G isn't already indicative of 3-4 more years of losing to Purdue...I mean Frost is 1-3 vs them now....And the only thing keeping us in games is the D and quite a few are gone next year....And we wish we'd be 5-7 again #improvement

Frost stays, I figure there to be  mass transfers as well....

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

So our 80th ranked class and last in the B1G isn't already indicative of 3-4 more years of losing to Purdue...I mean Frost is 1-3 vs them now....And the only thing keeping us in games is the D and quite a few are gone next year....And we wish we'd be 5-7 again #improvement

Frost stays, I figure there to be  mass transfers as well....

459.jpg

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
13 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Mel Tucker has won more conference games this year than Frost has won the prior 2 years combined.  He has his team 8-0 and winning competitive games.  He inherited a program whose team recruiting rankings from 2017 to 2020 were lower than Nebraska's team recruiting rankings during that same period of time.  Nobody is saying he is the next Nick Saban but he has definitely shown more in 2 years at MSU than Frost has shown in 4 years at Nebraska.

That's what is frustrating.  I don't know how he has done so well, it just makes me go, "huh".  Not to be confused with "things that make me go, hmmm"

53 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I love all the Mel Tucker talk. He is SUCH a good coach it took the worst possible mistake a punter could have possibly made late in the 4th quarter to stop what you consider to be the worst husker team in decades from not only upsetting them, but doing it in fairly dominant fashion.

I think people admire his coaching acumen to realize our punter often kicked left so he put two guys back to retrieve the punt....And let a well coached Frost team blow up.  Again.  I have lost track if that was the 15th or 16th time.....And schedule or not, in year 2 (after dead last in the East at 2-5) is now 8-0 and #3 in the first CFP rankings.....Yea, that dude sucks....And he has beat Frost twice..... 

Good discussion this afternoon, however I think it is a pre-mature one by a season.  This coach will be retained for one more season not based on meeting performance metrics, but rather based on his connection to the fans and boosters.  Even after 4 poor seasons, many fans are still thinking how great it is to have our favorite son and National Champion back.  They know without question that his background will translate into success at some point....

Purely a sentimental decision at this stage.  Thanks Coach for all of your contributions to the University of Nebraska.  We hope that your transition back to an assistant coaching position in November, 2022 is a productive one.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, GSG said:

Wish I had time to whip out some dope MS-Paint graphics for y'all, but here's how I see it:

Finish 3-0: Keep Frost, or "mutually" agree to part ways/Frost "takes time off to be with growing family"  0% chance we finish 3-0

Finish 2-1: See above. 5% chance we finish 2-1

Finish 1-2: "mutually" agree/family option or fire Frost outright. 30% chance we go 1-2

Finish 0-3: Doesn't matter, Frost is gone. 65% chance we go 0-3 

TBH, that's about how I see it going down at this point. Not that I think that's how it should be, but that's what I'm expecting.

Regardless of what happens the recruiting stuff needs to get fixed. That was a good take about making it easier for staff and recruits to get in and out of Lincoln. 

My personal opinion is Frost survives with winning 2 of the last 3. 1 out of 3 is a toss-up. Not surviving 0-3. A lot of this also depends on who else we can get. Is our guy available, if so let’s go, if not we’ll keep our powder dry.

• Plus1 1

The real problem for Frost is that we are about to get SMOKED by OSU. We will showcase our team of kids that have heard all of the hype and excuses six too many times and end up quitting in the 2nd quarter after Toure, of all people, fumbles away our second turnover. Then, in a prime snowball situation, we head into another bye week, which means the vitriol that is already getting tired post Purdue gets injected with steroids and cocaine and we get to stew in that cesspool for 2 weeks. The fever pitch will build so that Frost will be gone by next Saturday.  The good news is, Chinander and Lubick will beat both Wiscy and Iowa on an interim basis, regression to the mean and all of that, so at least we do get 5 wins. We actually will not back into a bowl that way so will get to end the season on a bit of an uptick but also devastated that we don't get post season, again, pure Nebraska level stuff. Some will call me a prophet, but really, I'm just a fan that can't quit this stupid team. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Undone said:

And then there'll be a mass exodus into the transfer portal and we'll be in for another 3-4 years of losing to Purdue and going 5-7.

Can't wait!

There is going to be a mass exodus regardless.   No one wants to play for losers or a coach with a one year lease.  The recruiting class was already horrific before the MN and Purdue losses.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Good discussion this afternoon, however I think it is a pre-mature one by a season.  This coach will be retained for one more season not based on meeting performance metrics, but rather based on his connection to the fans and boosters.  Even after 4 poor seasons, many fans are still thinking how great it is to have our favorite son and National Champion back.  They know without question that his background will translate into success at some point....

Purely a sentimental decision at this stage.  Thanks Coach for all of your contributions to the University of Nebraska.  We hope that your transition back to an assistant coaching position in November, 2022 is a productive one.

You’ve previously stated that it won’t necessarily matter, and I get the reasoning for that, but with that being said.  Do you see significant changes on the offensive side of the ball occurring this off-season?  

Whether it be coaching and/or transfers, especially at QB?

Did someone really say Dave Clawson? The guy has an overall record of 138-124. Prior to this season, his overall record at WF was 40-45. If that's the best we can get, we're in BIG trouble. TERRIBLE idea. 

After playing OU, MSU, and Michigan close, gotta think that if we get throttled by OSU, the sentiment will be that Frost has "lost the team" and TA will have an easy decision.

Glad to hear that it's 100% certain that we'll get a QB in the portal... but what guarantee do we have that the one we land will be any good?

I do not see how this gets corrected in the final 3 weeks. I have seen nothing from AM that says he is going to lead us to victory in the last 3 games. I have also seen nothing from Frost that shows me that next season will be better. 

3-0 would change my mind, but honestly I have no cornfidence that we will win any of the final 3 games. 0-3 is most likely the outcome. 

27 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Did someone really say Dave Clawson? The guy has an overall record of 138-124. Prior to this season, his overall record at WF was 40-45. If that's the best we can get, we're in BIG trouble. TERRIBLE idea. 

After playing OU, MSU, and Michigan close, gotta think that if we get throttled by OSU, the sentiment will be that Frost has "lost the team" and TA will have an easy decision.

Glad to hear that it's 100% certain that we'll get a QB in the portal... but what guarantee do we have that the one we land will be any good?

The allure of Clawson is he has coached quite a bit.  Has rebuilt programs and turned them around.  Winston Salem is a decent spot.  But nothing fancy.  It’s hard to recruit to considering UNC, NCST and Duke are 1.5 hours away.  Clemson 3.5, USC 2.5......Have t had this steady of success in quite some times.  He can develop players and does some twists on the RPO game.  Unsure what he could/would do at at place like NU with more prospects and amenities......He would be a steady stable coach.  Well liked by the team and community.....Unsure if we would ever win the B1G with him, but we would contend for the West.