Ohio State: What Did We Learn?

2 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

See this type of stuff. NU Athletics and media has sold us for almost 2 decades that it takes 4 years for a coach to turn things around. That’s not true anymore, it shouldn’t take that long no matter how bad it is when a coach takes over.

I won't deny Frost inherited a less than ideal situation but in year 4 with lowering expectations every year all he does is find ways to lose. You cant look at teams like purdue and wake forest and say Frost inherited a situation that was that much worse. Yet some how after some time those coach found a way to make a bowl game or 2.

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Decked said:

I think it’s basically gonna be make changes or you are gone. At least that’s what most think. The obvious issues are special teams & the OL/QB play. RBs are below average too. 

I get fans wanting/hoping that staff changes are made. I dont understand the thought that the AD or higher up should demand these changes. Shouldnt it be the HC's job to make those decisions? I mean, if the AD or President needs to make those decisions, why hire a HC?

This defense can play with anyone in the country. That was the fewest points Ohio State has scored all year. (Only 26 today, they put up 28 in their loss to Oregon.)

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

That's... not correct. As I said, Oregon held them to 28 this year. But still.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Toe said:

This defense can play with anyone in the country. That was the fewest points Ohio State has scored all year. (Only 26 today, they put up 28 in their loss to Oregon.)

Keep in mind if we played OSU at the start of the year I think we would have less. They were not good. They are MUCH improved now. Even more impressive today. Even with Wilson out 

36 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

More wins against ranked teams today***

So, what I see is Illinois finishes big games and we fold like a table when playing tough teams. WHat changes this? We played hard today, were in it almost to the end. But couldn't get over the hump. Sure, we hung with a mediocre tOSU team (this year, by their standards)...but we couldn't close the deal. We had nothing.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BoNeyard said:

I don’t know where to put this, I don’t think it deserves its own thread so I looked for a recent one that could at least closely relate.

But I just watched Purdue beat #3 Michigan state and it isn’t the first big win of Purdue this year. The Boilermakers are now 6-3 and tied for first in the Big Ten West.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn’t Purdue hire Brohm when we hired Frost? And it’s Purdue, they don’t have much history or tradition since their early 2000’s days, yet here he is in year 4 with his program still ascending upward. This is Purdue.

So what I think we can all learn from today is, it doesn’t take 4 years to rebuild, yet we’ve been sold this since 2003, that it takes 4 years every new coach. I think that’s old school and outdated thinking and expectations. Purdue was in no better shape than us back in 2018 and they certainly didn’t have the long standing tradition and support of Nebraska and they are located in West Lafayette. 

Knocked off #2 Iowa and now #3 MSU.  He came in 2017 and is currently 25-28 at Purdue.  He has had 2 bowls (3 now) and knocked off 5 ranked teams....And I can't say anything bad.  

• Plus1 2
50 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

I get fans wanting/hoping that staff changes are made. I dont understand the thought that the AD or higher up should demand these changes. Shouldnt it be the HC's job to make those decisions? I mean, if the AD or President needs to make those decisions, why hire a HC?

It should be Frost's decision, but he brought these bozo's with him thinking they were great. Do you really want him to get another crack at it? I think Trev should highlight bringing in some experienced guys. No learning on the job guys. 

• Plus1 2

I learned that last year I would’ve gotten a talented gamer type like Falck or Betts to learn the QB position and be ready to go in this year if Marty were to get injured or go goofy on us.

I also learned that the Big teams are not far apart in talent. Purdue is much better than I gave them credit for and OSU is having an off year.

1 hour ago, hskrpwr13 said:

You’re right. If Frost values his personal friendships over the success of the program then he deserves what happens if he sucks.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, admo said:

Purdue beat Michigan State 40-29

Their QB had 536 yards passing

Illinois beat Minnesota 14-6

:dunno

Yup. This means everything. Two teams with new coaches going in the right direction. That is what this says (and for only one game, both have done other great things). What is missing is OUR TEAM finishing games, winning when we weren't expected to by anyone but us..."signs of improvement" are fine or whatever, but those are best left for practice and not when tOSU comes to play! We suck.

1 hour ago, LumberJackSker said:

I won't deny Frost inherited a less than ideal situation but in year 4 with lowering expectations every year all he does is find ways to lose. You cant look at teams like purdue and wake forest and say Frost inherited a situation that was that much worse. Yet some how after some time those coach found a way to make a bowl game or 2.

One thing I would like to say is that even with the record they have not quit on Frost take it for what it is, but it's worth mentioning I remember them quitting on on MR for less. Team is still fighting and still believes.

6 minutes ago, ndobney said:

One thing I would like to say is that even with the record they have not quit on Frost take it for what it is, but it's worth mentioning I remember them quitting on on MR for less. Team is still fighting and still believes.

This team has heart and plenty of talent to hang with some of the best teams in the country. It's a coaching issue.