Ohio State: What Did We Learn?

2 minutes ago, ndobney said:

Whoa I'm not saying it's all the players fault I said it's a serious question. When the players choke should we blame the coaches?

In my opinion in year 4 with a roster full of guys either recruited by frost or spent they vast majority of their careers under frost are still making the same mistakes late in games or like our 4 star tackles get their asses handed to them every single week then that's on Frost. I dont think its a coincidence that the defense the side of the ball that frost has nothing to do with is light years ahead of where the offense is.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

In my opinion in year 4 with a roster full of guys either recruited by frost or spent they vast majority of their careers under frost are still making the same mistakes late in games or like our 4 star tackles get their asses handed to them every single week then that's on Frost. I dont think its a coincidence that the defense the side of the ball that frost has nothing to do with is light years ahead of where the offense is.

Maybe I think it's more on the players when they choke, because at other times they do the right things so they know how and have clearly been taught the right way, but they panic in big moments and can't find a way to win and instead loose. How would you coach someone to not panic? 

2 minutes ago, ndobney said:

Maybe I think it's more on the players when they choke, because at other times they do the right things so they know how and have clearly been taught the right way, but they panic in big moments and can't find a way to win and instead loose. How would you coach someone to not panic? 

There has been numbers pointed out by Nebraska media that the NU offense performs pretty poorly when down by one score or less, compared to when down by 2 scores. Whether that's the players or coaches "choking", it's not a very good trend. 

22 minutes ago, ndobney said:

They dont always do the right thing outside of crunch time. What was the offense on third down today? 2-12? Why has the defense been on the field for 80+ plays 2 games in a row? Why was the time of possession so one sided in the Minnesota and purdue games? Because Frost and his offensive staff outside of Beckton continue to fail year after year. If after 4 years the players that Frost recruited and coached are still making mistakes in crunch time that's on him. If verduzco can't make iron out the flaws in martinez or recruit and develope some one better by now that's on him. If Austin has tackles that can't block anyone that's on him. If Frost has 4 straight losing season eventually that's his fault.

• Plus1 2
22 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

They dont always do the right thing outside of crunch time. What was the offense on third down today? 2-12? Why has the defense been on the field for 80+ plays 2 games in a row? Why was the time of possession so one sided in the Minnesota and purdue games? Because Frost and his offensive staff outside of Beckton continue to fail year after year. If after 4 years the players that Frost recruited and coached are still making mistakes in crunch time that's on him. If verduzco can't make iron out the flaws in martinez or recruit and develope some one better by now that's on him. If Austin has tackles that can't block anyone that's on him. If Frost has 4 straight losing season eventually that's his fault.

I agree the offense definitely needs to be evaluated at the end of the season cause we know Frost is more than capable on the offensive side and defense is doing great.

2 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Would you still feel that way if he replaces 2-3 offensive coaches and snags a good transfer QB?

I already made up my mind. What I wrote is exactly how I feel regardless of what happens in the last two games. Fortunately, it is not my decision whether Frost comes back for another year or is let go. That is on Trev Alberts. At this point, Frost has had enough time to fix and tweak things. His record is not a coincidence in year 4. The team chokes every time we have a chance to win. On many occasions this season, he proclaimed that this is his best team. If you have your best team and cannot come up with a game plan to win at least half of our one score games, then that tells me you have nothing left in the tank. Take Illinois for example, we have twice the talented players they have (if not more), yet their first year coach managed to scheme game plans that beat us, Penn State, and Minnesota. Frost, in his fourth year, with his best team ever, cannot get to 6-6 and lost to Purdue, illinois, and Minnesota, and may lose to Wisconsin and Iowa. He is 1-6 in the weak BIG 10 west division. Our defense might be having its peak year. We will lose many veteran players this season. Our defense kept us in all our games. What will happen if we do not have a similar defense next year?

What I am trying to say is that Frost gave it his all and we have four losing seasons to show for it. All the fans wanted this season was for the team to at least finish 6-6 and go to a bowl. Yes, we lowered our expectations because we knew we had a very tough schedule. Yet, we did not even get that. So, the ship has sailed for me. We need a fresh start. Giving Frost one more year will not accomplish much. His players know he is on the hottest seat ever. Players like Yant, smothers, and stepp who are not getting playing time will enter the transfer portal and others may follow since they see a sinking ship. We reached a very difficult junction and I definitely do not envy Trev for being in this position. If it were me, I would part ways amicably and find the next coach who can develop the talent we have and give them a chance to win and succeed with an easier schedule next season.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Yep. Makes it seem psychological. We play down or up to whoever we're playing  and then barely lose.

They can sense Frost has an extreme fear of failure.   If he didn't he wouldn't take on the "no fear of failure" manta while routinely demonstrating a fear of failure. 

And teams take on their coach's personality and all that.

Going into the game against Ohio St, I don't think many thought Nebraska had a chance.

The fact that they played well enough to keep it to single digits led to the familiar prototypical 2021 loss - a game where the team had a chance to win but didn't get it done.

But since it was Ohio State - and back to point one - I think this game was fine.   The losses against IL, Purdue, and MN were not fine.  The failure get at least one from Michigan / Michigan St was not fine either.

To me anyway, this Ohio St game did not move the needle one way or the other in terms of a decision to keep Scott Frost.

• Plus1 1