Ohio State: What Did We Learn?

10 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree that the offense is a concern going forward. But, defense would have some key guys to replace. 

Talking Defense this is what I see for next year:

Dismuke and Williams can be replaced with existing talent and not much drop off at all if any and probably will be upgraded after some early in-game experience.

CTB makes some great plays, and also some boneheaded ones.  May take a small step backwards at that spot but not as much as what people think. 

Inside linebackers will improve (at least history shows this) 

JoJo will be very tough to replace.  Someone will need to step up or recruit a transfer

DLine, Stille has been good but for the most part, this years DLine doesn’t get consistent pressure so I don’t see how next year can really be worse. 

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There has been numbers pointed out by Nebraska media that the NU offense performs pretty poorly when down by one score or less, compared to when down by 2 scores. Whether that's the players or coaches "choking", it's not a very good trend. 

One of the bigger frustrations for me when looking at and watching the offense is this.  

• Plus1 2
16 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

Always the bridesmaid,  never the bride.

It is our 25th wedding anniversary.

Our "bride" is getting old and saggy and more and more grumpy.  We had our glamourous wedding day.  Now we are just sitting in our recliners, fighting over what to have for our 5:00pm dinner and wondering which one dies first...

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
8 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

DLine, Stille has been good but for the most part, this years DLine doesn’t get consistent pressure so I don’t see how next year can really be worse. 

That is not what the d line is asked to do in this defense.  They are asked to eat blocks to free up LBs. Daniels will be missed big time and the LBs could very well look worse if the line takes a step back. 

• Plus1 4

2 hours ago, runningblind said:

That is not what the d line is asked to do in this defense.  They are asked to eat blocks to free up LBs. Daniels will be missed big time and the LBs could very well look worse if the line takes a step back. 

Alot of talented young dudes on that line though. Might be one of our deepest positions. Funny enough I think we also have depth at defensive back which will be where we will lose alot of the rest. Domann is the one piece I don't think we can replace effectively

13 hours ago, runningblind said:

Maybe we aren’t talking the same thing.  I don’t think I’ve seen a defense that does not want it’s front 4/5 get pressure on the QB when the other team is throwing the ball. Why would they want to eat up blocks for the linebackers unless it’s a designed blitz?  

the front four pressure allows more people in coverage. 

• Plus1 1

Can't be mad about losing this one - it's the losses to Illinois, Minnesota, & Purdue that have made this season total crap. This is one of the two main games coming into this season that were penned in as losses.

It's pretty incredible that out of 9 games played for Ohio State that we held them to their fewest points of the year.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Maybe we aren’t talking the same thing.  I don’t think I’ve seen a defense that does not want it’s front 4/5 get pressure on the QB when the other team is throwing the ball. Why would they want to eat up blocks for the linebackers unless it’s a designed blitz?  

the front four pressure allows more people in coverage. 

I was referring to the d line specifically I suppose, which is only 3 guys.  LBs make up the 4th/5th which are where pressure if supposed to come from, if we had that guy of course. They want them to fill lanes and collapse the pocket sure, but pass rush is a bonus for those 3 not an expectation.

• Plus1 2