Assistant Coaches

Otterpop

6 minutes ago, Otterpop said:

Yes Frost brought his guys but explain why Riley and Pelini Asst coaches were underpaid too. It’s either they don’t want to pay for top Asst.  Or Top Asst don’t want to come here. The fact over the years we haven’t had top paid coordinator when was the last big name coordinator to be at Nebraska . 

In the Big 10 conference, Nebraska is No. 4 or 5, according to data compiled by USA Today in 2019. (It’s hard to be precise because Penn State and Northwestern are not publicly required to release numbers.) Does our top 20 asst coach salary pool deliver top 20 results? 

• Plus1 2

26 minutes ago, Otterpop said:

Yes Frost brought his guys but explain why Riley and Pelini Asst coaches were underpaid too. It’s either they don’t want to pay for top Asst.  Or Top Asst don’t want to come here. The fact over the years we haven’t had top paid coordinator when was the last big name coordinator to be at Nebraska . 

We would pay assistants that much, these guys choose not to buy hiring their buddies.

41 minutes ago, huskerfan99 said:

It was stated multiple times when frost was hired he had blank checks for assistant coaches.

HE CHOSE to bring his whole staff with him and not go after better, more proven coaches!!! 

Curious how everyone seems of know this??  Maybe, he thought after winning his "national championship*" at UCF...he had a championship staff and they were all overlooked geniuses...

• Plus1 1

On 11/6/2021 at 5:18 PM, Otterpop said:

The choice is up to the boosters it cost money to be a big time program. 

This is one of the most entitled remarks I've ever read about the program.

Nebraska football's salvation is not dependent upon raiding the coffers of its rich alumni over and over again, and putting it on them like this is somehow their fault or responsibility is ridiculous.

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Nebraska football's salvation is not dependent upon raiding the coffers of its rich alumni over and over again, and putting it on them like this is somehow their fault or responsibility is ridiculous.

I am not exactly sure of the source of the funds, but the University has a special account in the University Foundation used to pay for the contract buyouts.  I would imagine that the Athletic Department allocates $ to that fund each year, to prepare for future buyouts.  However, with the revenue and budget cuts due to COVID last year, I think is why Frost will get another year, just to avoid the larger payout from this year.  I don't agree with it, because I think there will always be $, but it is what it is.

21 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Thats the cost of doing business, baby….is what I’ve been reading. 

15 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am not exactly sure of the source of the funds, but the University has a special account in the University Foundation used to pay for the contract buyouts.  I would imagine that the Athletic Department allocates $ to that fund each year, to prepare for future buyouts.  However, with the revenue and budget cuts due to COVID last year, I think is why Frost will get another year, just to avoid the larger payout from this year.  I don't agree with it, because I think there will always be $, but it is what it is.

15 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

Thats the cost of doing business, baby….is what I’ve been reading. 

To be clear, I'm intimately aware of the booster and donor courting that happens to fund various athletic department initiatives (new facilities, contract buyouts, etc.). That's fairly common knowledge.

I'm pushing back against the arrogance or presumptuousness of those who sit here and say 'well, do something boosters! It's yOuR fault we don't have nice things.' It's the athletic department's responsibility to a) make a compelling argument for contributions and b) create a return on that investment. Outside contributions have played a significant role in paying out Pelini, hiring Riley, firing Riley, hiring Frost, building this new football facility and now (potentially) having to fire and hire again.

The boosters and donors already do a lot financially for this athletic department. They're not the ones holding that program back from accomplishing any of the goals they wish to accomplish. I mean my God... the university threw $5 million/year at a coach just to lose 7 games a year for four straight seasons. Boosters and donors had a lot to do with making that contract happen. But now the problem is that they don't fork over enough of their cash? Those selfish jerks! <_<

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/6/2021 at 7:28 PM, Otterpop said:

Yes Frost brought his guys but explain why Riley and Pelini Asst coaches were underpaid too. 

I can explain it. Uh...it's not true and you're wrong.

In 2012 Tim Beck was the 3rd highest paid coordinator in the B1G. In 2013 Tim Beck was the highest paid coordinator in the conference. We've been 3rd or 4th in assistant coach salary pools in conference for the last decade. In 2020, with Frost's cheaper (because unqualified) assistants, we were 19th in the country in assistant pools.

Bill Moos was much less conservative with money than Eichorst or Osborne were before him, and since we weren't underpaying our assistants under those guys, we sure as hell aren't since Moos has been here.

9 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

I can explain it. Uh...it's not true and you're wrong.

In 2012 Tim Beck was the 3rd highest paid coordinator in the B1G. In 2013 Tim Beck was the highest paid coordinator in the conference. We've been 3rd or 4th in assistant coach salary pools in conference for the last decade. In 2020, with Frost's cheaper (because unqualified) assistants, we were 19th in the country in assistant pools.

Bill Moos was much less conservative with money than Eichorst or Osborne were before him, and since we weren't underpaying our assistants under those guys, we sure as hell aren't since Moos has been here.

So 3-4 in salary in Big 10 and 19th in country is where you think Nebraska should be. That’s fine if you want to play for 3-4 place . The reality is this we need to have better Asst. to recruit to call plays the state of Nebraska is not a hot bed for talent so we need a reason for kids to come here and don’t say because it’s Nebraska football to these kids that doesn’t mean much. Frost needs to go get a top of the line OC and OLine coach which will cost at least a $1million more then what they have. If it is all on Frost for the staff and not Admin as far as money goes then he better do something before he loses his job but I really think it’s both as far as paying top OC.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Otterpop said:

So 3-4 in salary in Big 10 and 19th in country is where you think Nebraska should be. That’s fine if you want to play for 3-4 place . The reality is this we need to have better Asst. to recruit to call plays the state of Nebraska is not a hot bed for talent so we need a reason for kids to come here and don’t say because it’s Nebraska football to these kids that doesn’t mean much. Frost needs to go get a top of the line OC and OLine coach which will cost at least a $1million more then what they have. If it is all on Frost for the staff and not Admin as far as money goes then he better do something before he loses his job but I really think it’s both as far as paying top OC.

Yet we lose to teams that recruit much worse than us and pay their staffs worse than us. Makes sense. 

• Plus1 1