Pros and Cons of Keeping it Frosty

Pros: Innovative coach, ties to Nebraska, demonstrates that we are willing to give coaches an honest opportunity

Cons: Offensive scheme that doesn't perform well enough in the Big 10, reluctance to make necessary changes and adapt

What Scott needs to do is apply his creativity with making adjustments. How willing is he to do that? He needs to make a thorough evaluation across the board. What concerns me is that changes, if much of any, will be marginal. That's a legitimate issue. If he were to do these things in my opinion, it'd help considerably to putting the team's performances over the top. The reluctance is my main concern. 

At this point keep him. Because otherwise we are competing against USC, LSU, likely Florida, likely Florida State, maybe Miami, and the dominoes that come from those hirings. All more attractive jobs than what a 5 straight losing season Nebraska team is.

He and everyone preaches they are so close and this was a 5 year rebuilding job from the beginning. Well next year put your money where your mouth is, because with next years so called easier schedule and it being 5 years, we should win 7-9 games with no excuses. 

Also whatever, we are at least 5 years away from even realistically thinking of being a 9-10 win program again, so what's the point in a new coach next year. I've waited 25 years since we've been relevant, I can wait one more year for an entirely new rebuild.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

At this point keep him. Because otherwise we are competing against USC, LSU, likely Florida, likely Florida State, maybe Miami, and the dominoes that come from those hirings. All more attractive jobs than what a 5 straight losing season Nebraska team is.

He and everyone preaches they are so close and this was a 5 year rebuilding job from the beginning. Well next year put your money where your mouth is, because with next years so called easier schedule and it being 5 years, we should win 7-9 games with no excuses. 

Also whatever, we are at least 5 years away from even realistically thinking of being a 9-10 win program again, so what's the point in a new coach next year. I've waited 25 years since we've been relevant, I can wait one more year for an entirely new rebuild.

That's sort of where I'm at too. IF there there is a change, it had better be a darned good one. 

If we're close, amending his contract down to one year shouldn't be an issue. Then we can extend once results have been demonstrated! That's not going to happen though. At any rate, if we can't win at least 7 games next season in year five with the schedule, we'd better be moving on.  

• Plus1 1

50 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

And if he stays, I'd out it out there like that.  Hey fans and media,  this is his put up or shut up year.  If this wasn't Frost, he'd already be gone.  And people thinking we go 7+ wins next year, where are they coming from?  ND and Georgia Southern?  Hopefully Rutgers and Maryland.  Maybe Fitz doesn't improve....and unless we beat Wisky and Iowa, the other teams are ones we have never beaten under Frost.  With a defense that is seriously depleted next year....We have yet to prove we can beat teams that are on par with NU.......And we are now in the bottom of the West....And a real possibility we finish dead last in the B1G this season.....

To add, what makes next years schedule easier?  Frost has NEVER beaten Iowa or Wisky....is 1-3 against Purdue and Minnnie, 2-2 vs NW and 2-2 vs Illinois.....And again, justifying keeping him because the competition is less.....Damn, how far we have fallen

Just now, lo country said:

And if he stays, I'd out it out there like that.  Hey fans and media,  this is his put up or shut up year.  If this wasn't Frost, he'd already be gone.  And people thinking we go 7+ wins next year, where are they coming from?  ND and Georgia Southern?  Hopefully Rutgers and Maryland.  Maybe Fitz doesn't improve....and unless we beat Wisky and Iowa, the other teams are ones we have never beaten under Frost.  With a defense that is seriously depleted next year....We have yet to prove we can beat teams that are on par with NU.......And we are now in the bottom of the West....And a real possibility we finish dead last in the B1G this season.....

This year is done for, but I will say I would be very happy if we could beat either Wisconsin or Iowa, or both. Between the two I would probably enjoy a win over Wisconsin more just because since we joined the conference I have seen them as the power of the Big Ten West and sort of the measuring stick. Of course this year Iowa appears to be the better team, I just would like to beat Wisconsin.

3 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

This year is done for, but I will say I would be very happy if we could beat either Wisconsin or Iowa, or both. Between the two I would probably enjoy a win over Wisconsin more just because since we joined the conference I have seen them as the power of the Big Ten West and sort of the measuring stick. Of course this year Iowa appears to be the better team, I just would like to beat Wisconsin.

I watched the presser and liked what Nelson said.  Dude gets it.  Talked about we haven't won any trophies in years.....Be great to walk across the field and bring those two home (Freedom and Heroes)...  The culture, at least in the D is there.  

40 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I think this question can be answered better after we see the next two games.  The pros and cons change based on those results imo.  

I’m very hesitant to say this as I really don’t care which way things shake out. Really. But if you think you need to see two more games to decide, I think you’re fooling yourself. What could you possibly see in these last two games that is going to override 3 years and 10 games of seeing?

I’m completely understanding and accepting of people on either side of this issue. I get it. But let’s be honest, we’ve all seen enough. The only thing in question is what changes will be made moving into year 5 and those aren’t going to occur in these last two games.

Pro- The only "pro" is that he played at Nebraska. Now that has been proven not to matter as far as wins and losses, turn him loose.

Con-You guys have given him every opportunity. Paid him well. Allowed him to bring in Assistants at twice the payroll of the past assistants. Pretty much allowed him keys to the City. As a fan base you should hold your heads high as to the opportunity that you gave him, it was just well over his head and it is time to move on. He is just begging to buy time to get to a softer schedule next year. Better game plans? I don't think so. 

Fire him, today, with cause, let Chin take over the rest of the year, and get your new coach in place as soon as possible. There will be some portal transfers in and out, but a good coach and motivator will make great use of the portal.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, BoNeyard said:

I'm not sure how you think Iowa is the better team unless you haven't watched either of them play in the last month, especially since Wisky beat Iowa 27-7 just last week. Wisconsin will win the west and probably end the season at 9-3. We have about a 15% chance of beating Wisconsin on the road. We could beat Iowa at home to go from 3-8 to 4-8, if there is still the effort we've been seeing. That would be heroic at 3-8.

• Plus1 2
52 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I’m very hesitant to say this as I really don’t care which way things shake out. Really. But if you think you need to see two more games to decide, I think you’re fooling yourself. What could you possibly see in these last two games that is going to override 3 years and 10 games of seeing?

I’m completely understanding and accepting of people on either side of this issue. I get it. But let’s be honest, we’ve all seen enough. The only thing in question is what changes will be made moving into year 5 and those aren’t going to occur in these last two games.

I never said that.  This thread is discussing what the pros and cons are.  Follow along.  These next two games will answer some of the pro and con questions.  If we win the next two, there are a lot fewer cons if Frost stays.  If we lose them, and Nebraska keeps Frost another year, the list gets pretty long, specifically in recruiting, negative media, etc...  

There is a strong likelihood Frost stays another year.  Not saying I agree or disagree but, like most, I do have concerns.

He's gotta win at least one of the final two; at least that way Trev can say we've beat someone we haven't beaten in quite a while. If not, he's gone.

If he is retained, obviously Trev will force him to make some staff changes. He'll also need to land a top-tier transfer QB, like Brennan or Rattler. Otherwise, next year will be much of the same.

14 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I never said that.  This thread is discussing what the pros and cons are.  Follow along.  These next two games will answer some of the pro and con questions.  If we win the next two, there are a lot fewer cons if Frost stays.  If we lose them, and Nebraska keeps Frost another year, the list gets pretty long, specifically in recruiting, negative media, etc...  

There is a strong likelihood Frost stays another year.  Not saying I agree or disagree but, like most, I do have concerns.

Actually I was following along just fine. Maybe we just disagree about what two more games can really show us that hasn’t already been exhibited in a much larger body of work.:dunno  I guess I’ve seen enough to have a pretty good handle on the pros and cons and I don’t expect any of those to change in these next two games. But quite a few things could show potential for improvement, or just more of the same, between the Iowa game and our first game next season. It’s fine if you don’t agree with that assessment.

• Fire 1

Great question...

Pros - Grew up in the State of Nebraska, Played for and won a National Championship at Nebraska, Played for Coach Osborne, Served as an Assistant Coach at Oregon, Coached an undefeated UCF team

Cons - Aside from the introductory press conference, his tenure as head coach at Nebraska....

Notice that all of the pros are prior to his time coaching Nebraska.  Based on those, we will retain him for another year.  As we all know, we are so close...