Bring the boys back home

8 hours ago, ndobney said:

And an unusually high percentage of those we are consistently one play away from winning. Two or three adjustments could fix pretty much all of that.

If he had a clue he would have made the adjustments by now. We are at this place based solely on the choices and adjustments he has made up to this point. What makes you think that what he does in the future will remedy this situation that he has created??

• Plus1 2

8 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am not being emotional about this.  I am being objective about how things have been under Frost. If anything, you are the emotional one thinking that all ills will be fixed with a change at QB and a few assistant coaches. All that would do is really delay the inevitable, in that I don't see the returning team being significantly better than this year. 

EDIT:  I am applying the same principles I had when Riley was the coach. History shows, if a coach is going to be successful at a school, that coach will prove it in WINS and LOSSES within 3-4 years. Frost isn't proving that in his tenure.  You say NU is close. I say, let a new coach who knows how to actually win, move NU to the next level. 

But wasn’t Scott’s win-loss record at UFC one of the reasons we hired him in the first place?

Is that our only barometer when closing a coach? 

1 minute ago, ladyhawke said:

But wasn’t Scott’s win-loss record at UFC one of the reasons we hired him in the first place?

Scott has had one year of a winning record in his head coaching career. Yes, it was an amazing year at UCF, but at this point, that year is looking like the outlier to the rest of his career. 

• Plus1 3

I think the only thing his current status has proven is that he is not a coaching savant, a la Saban/Bilicheck. With the culture turnover, tranfer portal, NIL, and the Covid year, I think there was enough unexpected wtf to go ahead and look at the way this team plays now compared to 2018 and see we are much improved and give him a slight pass for growing as a new P5 coach in seriously the most tumultuous 5 years of NCAA football ever. What I think remains to be seen is, is a really good coach? I'm willing to give him next year to see if he's willing to continue to correct mistakes he has made grow as a coach and lead the program that he fits perfectly in if he can turn that corner.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Or a competent QB when it counts could fix much of it 

Scott's had 4 years to coach up Adrian and unlock his potential. That's his guy he recruited away from Tennessee his first offseason.

If AM continues to not get it done and yet he's still rolled out there with a bum ankle and a broken jaw because it's the best we got, it's 110% on Frost at this point.

Doesn't really inspire confidence about him magically conjuring up a stud QB in the future, either.

• Plus1 3

Oh good, another thread for coach speculation.

If we’ve learned anything it’s that Frost and his staff have a lot of learning and adjusting that needs to happen. If you’re for keeping him, then you have to acknowledge that and also think that some pretty glaring deficiencies (that haven’t been corrected in the first 4 years) are going to get corrected within the next 1 year. If you’re for getting rid of him, there are a lot more options as to why a person may feel that way. Me? IDGAF, whatever happens, happens.

7 hours ago, Moiraine said:

If we were actually close we would beat the Minnesotas and Purdues of the world by 2-3 touchdowns and not barely lose to most teams however s#!tty or good they are.

It doesn't mean anything anymore to barely lose to top 10 teams, because the previous and next week we've also lost to a team that sucks. You have to start beating teams like that or claiming we're close makes you sound like a moron (speaking of Frost here).

Here is the problem.  We are not actually close.  Frost is 1-3 against both of these teams.  We are now the team in the B1G, like Rutgers and Maryland that everyone should beat.  The "worst" coach ever in Riley was 2-3 against these two teams........FROST has made us worse.  We are the B1G's punching bag.  I have no idea why people think giving a failed coach another year will miraculously produce more wins next year.  We have 4 games we "should" win.  NW is a toss up and the other teams we lost to or have yet to beat under Frost (hoping we win Wisky and Iowa this year).

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, ndobney said:

You are letting your emotions cloud your judgement and your not able to step back and see the big picture. Overall we are clos; offense is a mess but there is talent there and we are averaging 30 ppg and I'm not even sure our LT has landed a block this season, Adrian Martinez makes some of the worst mistakes imaginable when he gets nervous that's not Frost fault and the kickers are missing fgs left and right. Its actually a mini miracle that we have averaged 30 ppg. Our defense is allowing 20 ppg. 

All of what you wrote here is an indictment of frost. 
there’s talent capable of truly challenging for the west. But he doesn’t know how to maximize it. 

Frost is a genius play designer and analyst, but he’s not a good head coach. That’s the reality. Not everyone is built for the ruthlessness and attention to detail being a head coach requires. 

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, ndobney said:

Well he hasn't fired his offensive line coach yet which may be coming. Think they will likely evaluate at the end of the year and a couple things will need to improve if not sure we will fire Frost. Either way you'll get your way we will either win or yes we will fire Frost

It should not take 4 seasons of losing to make the decision to change up the staff.  Frost has been way too loyal to both AM and his UCF guys to the point of being stubborn.  We are on the verge of having only one P5 win this entire season and finishing last or tied for last in the division.  I do not believe Nebraska has ever finished last in a division since they started divisions up in the Big 12 in the 1990s.  Think about that.  Frost has had 4 years to turn the program around, and in his 4th year he is on the verge of setting some records that no other Husker coach has set, and these are not good records.  

• Plus1 2
58 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

In hindsight we took a MAJOR risk with Frost as he had only 2 years with HC experience at UCF and won was a losing season and the other was a magical season.  At the end of this football season he will have been a head coach for 6 years with 5 of those years coaching teams to a losing season.  Good/Great coaches find ways to win games no matter the circumstances they are dealt.  He is not a good coach, plain and simple.  The strategy of some fans is to hope he can figure things out or hire guys who know what they are doing, but as I have always been taught, hope is not a strategy.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, thatguy said:

Frost is a genius play designer and analyst, but he’s not a good head coach. That’s the reality. Not everyone is built for the ruthlessness and attention to detail being a head coach requires. 

Austin Allen had a comment after the Purdue game which had me scratching my head about Frost. Allen was asked about not sticking with plays which worked in the first half, and his response was "we had other plays in the playbook to get to". That's an indication that Frost is so focused on showing how great of an offensive coach and innovator, that he loses focus on the game situation and game flow.

Even the 3rd and 4 call late in the game yesterday, where Adrian overthrew Falck on the shallow crossing route. Frost defended the play call saying "it was a right call, just poorly executed". That is a similar route which Adrian overthrew Falck late against Michigan. Yes, Adrian should be able to make that throw, and maybe he does make that throw in practice. However, Adrian has struggled to make that throw under pressure and in the heat of the game. Why even call that play if execution may be a question of having it work?  Frost loves to point out when receivers are open, but Adrian just missed them. Isn't part of being a good coach and play caller is calling plays which you are confident in execution?  Basically try to put your players in a better position to succeed instead of a position to fail. 

• Plus1 2