Jump to content


Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Someone called into 1620 the Zone a couple weeks ago ripping into Held, and the caller was spot-on. Held doesn't know how to coach and develop running backs, so Held's solution is to throw another guy onto the field, and try to over-recruit those guys in the off-season.  That's why we have seen for 4 years the new, shiny freshman or transfer running back being touted by Held and the other coaches as the guy who can be the lead running back. Held doesn't know what to do with guys once they get on campus. 

Giant red flag to have your co #1 RB to start the year (Stepp) end up being 4th on the depth chart (oh wait never-mind he’s number 2 again this week) and then your #4-5 backs end up #1 and 2 (Rhamir and Yant). In my opinion he’s got to do a better job if identifying your best guys before the season starts. I feel like we’re just throwing s#!t at a wall to see what sticks.

  • Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

We have one of the most prolific offenses in the B1G between the 20's.....Play calling and scheme does nothing to assist the RB's nor does Held.  There are numerous factors to our struggling.  OL play is one for sure, but a good coach(s) can find a way to scheme to assist the discrepancies.

You have to be more than one dimensional on offense.  A game plan or players are very seldom perfect.   I will argue development of the o-line has not happened.  Last year, everyone was b!^@hing about chin.  Now everyone loves him.

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

You have to be more than one dimensional on offense.  A game plan or players are very seldom perfect.   I will argue development of the o-line has not happened.  Last year, everyone was b!^@hing about chin.  Now everyone loves him.

Yea it seems like all of our lineman other than Cam Jurgens have done nothing but regress here. I still hope they can make studs out of Piper and Corcoran in their time here.

Link to comment
47 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Someone called into 1620 the Zone a couple weeks ago ripping into Held, and the caller was spot-on. Held doesn't know how to coach and develop running backs, so Held's solution is to throw another guy onto the field, and try to over-recruit those guys in the off-season.  That's why we have seen for 4 years the new, shiny freshman or transfer running back being touted by Held and the other coaches as the guy who can be the lead running back. Held doesn't know what to do with guys once they get on campus. 

Ron Brown. 

Link to comment

1 hour ago, roadrat said:

Yant had one big game against NW. Otherwise he spent the season tripping over his own feet and running into Martinez.

I don't know if you are right or not.  But you at least got his name right.

 

That gives you more credibility that most in this thread.  +1 to you sir!

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
48 minutes ago, lo country said:

We have one of the most prolific offenses in the B1G between the 20's.....Play calling and scheme does nothing to assist the RB's nor does Held.  There are numerous factors to our struggling.  OL play is one for sure, but a good coach(s) can find a way to scheme to assist the discrepancies.

We get IN the red zone then don't capitalize. This is an issue over and over again. Our field goal kicking doesn't help. Might as well go for it. But then we don't have a reliable running game where we can move in smaller chunks consistently enough. And not enough incorporation of the tight ends. He needs to find a way to adjust his scheme that meshes these two aspects. Get to the well and then be able to bucket! 

Link to comment
7 minutes ago, M.A. said:

We get IN the red zone then don't capitalize. This is an issue over and over again. Our field goal kicking doesn't help. Might as well go for it. But then we don't have a reliable running game where we can move in smaller chunks consistently enough. And not enough incorporation of the tight ends. He needs to find a way to adjust his scheme that meshes these two aspects. Get to the well and then be able to bucket! 

This is what kills me.  AA is one of, if not the best TE in the B1G.  AA is 6'8 and Vok is 6'6.....Post those guys up in the red zone against smaller DB's......Or do what teams have done to us year in and year out.  Delay the TE release with a kick out or chip block and throw it up.....The play calling and scheme kills me.

 

I have said this since 2019.  Frost believes in chunk plays.  IIRC, we lead or in the top for "chunk" plays, but this doesn't translate into wins.  In OT (basically starting in the red zone), we have zero points and zero 1st downs under Frost......Frost's scheme and/or playbook is very limited in plays that can grind it out.  These plays "can" be chunk, but they are designed to move the chains.  Get yards and have the potential to go big.  Too much of what we do is designed to be home run plays...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment

I'm keeping my eye on Morrison.  Wasn't avail this week due to a family situation.  Could be just that however if he transferred would not be caught off guard by it at all.  The RB rotation/revolving depth chart at Nebraska is embarrassing.  Good thing for that room or I mean Rahmir Johnson is that the run blocking has gotten better since the beginning of the season.  

Link to comment
12 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Yantz still has problems with the playback & pass blocking.   I like this guy, but I wonder if he knows right from left.

Isn’t that coaching? Player development? Why do these coaches gain paid high salaries? Isn’t it to develop talent like Yant. If we give up on every talented player because we do not know how to develop their talent and hone their skills then why bother recruit them. These are young men who need coaching.

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, huskerfan74 said:

Isn’t that coaching? Player development? Why do these coaches gain paid high salaries? Isn’t it to develop talent like Yant. If we give up on every talented player because we do not know how to develop their talent and hone their skills then why bother recruit them. These are young men who need coaching.

What?  Player development is not learning the playbook & some kids take longer to learn.  Did your HS teachers do your homework or did they give you an assignment to do.  Please read and be on the same topic.

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

What?  Player development is not learning the playbook & some kids take longer to learn.  Did your HS teachers do your homework or did they give you an assignment to do.  Please read and be on the same topic.

I am on the same topic and your argument makes no sense at all. Whenever Yant was given an opportunity, he produced positive yards. He is a good athlete and has great potential. If he is not doing something the coaches are asking him to do then they should try and see what the problem is and work with him to fix the issue so he can be a weapon. In the Purdue game, he had two great runs and then the coaches stopped utilizing him. That is not how you develop your talent.

 

As for your high school analogy, if I were a good teacher and one of my students who shows great potential was not doing something right, I would try harder to help them so they can reach their potential. That is what good teachers do. Based on your argument no wonder Frost can’t turn these players into winners. Asking someone to be great is different than showing them how to be great. Arguably we have much better talent than Illinois, Purdue, and Minnesota and yet we lost to them. Ever wonder why? It is definitely not Yant’s fault. I would not be surprised if Yant and others enter the transfer portal as soon as season ends. 

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...