Just normal American Utopia...

19 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Insanity.   Plus more information from the media calling it a “don’t say gay” bill even after that garbage has been disproven time after time.   

Nice original tweet that quotes Buttigieg as saying "that's right" even though he never actually said those words.

• Plus1 2

12 hours ago, knapplc said:

I knew a guy who could draw anything. Pen to paper, swish-swish, boom. Cityscape, caricature, fruit in a bowl, whatever. If he saw it in his head he could ink it on paper.

I once expressed amazement at his talent. He poo-pooed that, saying if I just tried, I could do it too. It's not that hard. Here's the pen I like. Here's the paper pad I use. Get these, practice, and you can do this too.

But that's not true. Talent is talent, and everyone doesn't have the same talent. It's easy to you because that's your talent. I could maybe muddle through the basicest parts of your job, but I couldn't actually factually engineer my way out of a wet paper aerospace bag. Most of us here on the HuskerBoard couldn't.

I get what you're saying, but I stand by my statement. People with more talent will certainly have an advantage in any given profession, but perseverance and a love of what you're doing are just as important. If you really wanted to make a career in the aerospace engineering, you could find a way to do it.

And not everything is research and development or cutting edge. Buddy I graduated with works for Boeing doing finite element analysis on the overhead luggage compartments. He needs to know how to setup the initial conditions, but the FEA software does all the math - it's basically glorified data entry.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

He says, ya he’s right.  Is the meaning any different?  

Yeah. Words actually matter. Context matters.

That's one of the problems with the age of social media. Anybody can provide whatever cut of whatever clip they want to frame interactions in a way that benefits their position. Like how the clip in question cut Butti off in the middle of his response.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Yeah. Words actually matter. Context matters.

That's one of the problems with the age of social media. Anybody can provide whatever cut of whatever clip they want to frame interactions in a way that benefits their position. Like how the clip in question cut Butti off in the middle of his response.

Is there a large difference in saying “ya he’s right” and saying “ yeah right” when responding to a quote that was just told to you?   Are you trying to say with a straight face that Pete DID NOT mean to agree?   LOL as loud as possible.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

16 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Is there a large difference in saying “ya he’s right” and saying “ yeah right” when responding to a quote that was just told to you?   Are you trying to say with a straight face that Pete DID NOT mean to agree?   LOL as loud as possible.  

Yeah pretending to not understand how this will affect LGBTQ youth because it gives you high ground to argue from is ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
42 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Is there a large difference in saying “ya he’s right” and saying “ yeah right” when responding to a quote that was just told to you? 

The standards on quoting from your post contribution keep getting worse and worse. There was no quote told to him, unless you mean the "so called 'don't say gay' bill" which she air quotes. She says, "which he says will kill kids". That's not a quote.

5 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

The standards on quoting from your post contribution keep getting worse and worse. There was no quote told to him, unless you mean the "so called 'don't say gay' bill" which she air quotes. She says, "which he says will kill kids". That's not a quote.

Is there a difference between Pete saying “ya he’s right”  vs “yeah right” when responding to the host who asked if Pete agreed with the comments portrayed to him which started out with…this bill will kill kids

your trying super duper hard to conflate things which is admirable given your position, but it ain’t working. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
On 12/15/2021 at 9:30 AM, RedDenver said:

I am an aerospace engineer, and I can tell you anyone of average intelligence can make it a career by applying themselves.

Not just intelligent, but you were in the navy on a sub :worship  (IIRC)

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Is there a difference between Pete saying “ya he’s right”  vs “yeah right” when responding to the host who asked if Pete agreed with the comments portrayed to him which started out with…this bill will kill kids

your trying super duper hard to conflate things which is admirable given your position, but it ain’t working. 

Yes. For starters, one thing he actually said, the other he didn't. 

Then if you want to engage in good faith you can start to parse out what he actually meant by what he said, but the twitter personalities you bring in here aren't interested in that.

• Plus1 3

Several posts have been moved out of here and into the Shed because of the direction they were going, which was bordering on flaming/personal attacks. Still reviewing those and some others. Please continue those conversations there.

• Plus1 1

I'm going to put this here because it's not related to either party.  Just something that really is pissing me off about the military.

My son in law is in med school and the Air Force sent him on two rotations that required travel  So, he was in two separate cities where he had to rent a car and stay in a hotel for a month each.  Instead of the government just picking up the tab, he was required to pay for it on his credit card and then submit the expenses for reimbursement.  He did that and it cost him over $10,000.

This was last fall and the government still hasn't reimbursed him for his expenses.  This couple is just getting out of college and they don't have the money to foot this bill.  Luckily, we are able to help them.  But, imagine if you were someone in this situation that doesn't have family to fall back on for help?  This government spends billions on defense to buy knew shiny guns and planes that don't work, and can't even pay a f#&%ing bill they required someone to incur.

So damn frustrating.  

And, this isn't an isolated incident.  After being frustrated, he found out of another med student they did this to also.

• Plus1 3
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I'm going to put this here because it's not related to either party.  Just something that really is pissing me off about the military.

My son in law is in med school and the Air Force sent him on two rotations that required travel  So, he was in two separate cities where he had to rent a car and stay in a hotel for a month each.  Instead of the government just picking up the tab, he was required to pay for it on his credit card and then submit the expenses for reimbursement.  He did that and it cost him over $10,000.

This was last fall and the government still hasn't reimbursed him for his expenses.  This couple is just getting out of college and they don't have the money to foot this bill.  Luckily, we are able to help them.  But, imagine if you were someone in this situation that doesn't have family to fall back on for help?  This government spends billions on defense to buy knew shiny guns and planes that don't work, and can't even pay a f#&%ing bill they required someone to incur.

So damn frustrating.  

And, this isn't an isolated incident.  After being frustrated, he found out of another med student they did this to also.

This is the same government that has had a cataclysmic (and growing) disaster at the VA for decades, has promised to clean it up for decades, and still hasn't fixed their issues.

The same government made up of politicians who wrap themselves in the flag and "love our troops."

It's all just hypocrisy, all the way down.

• Plus1 3
  • 2 weeks later...