Just normal American Utopia...

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of the most frustrating things in our society.  We are constantly bombarded with messaging about how horrible things are in this country that this is where we are at.  First of all, how in the hell would anyone know that people "like them" were better off 50 years ago?  Seriously?  If you are a 45 year old middle class white dude, how in the hell do you know that you have it so much worse off than a 45 year old middle class white dude 50 years ago?  That would be 1972.  We are just coming out of the turbulent 60s and there was still some major racial tensions.  Middle of the Vietnam War.  Yeah...sure...things are so horrible here now compared to then.  :facepalm:

People need to learn to understand that, even though there's things in our society that we all would like to have changed and everyone has their own problems they deal with.  But, in general, life is actually pretty good and it's OK to say that.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
28 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is one of the most frustrating things in our society.  We are constantly bombarded with messaging about how horrible things are in this country that this is where we are at.  First of all, how in the hell would anyone know that people "like them" were better off 50 years ago?  Seriously?  If you are a 45 year old middle class white dude, how in the hell do you know that you have it so much worse off than a 45 year old middle class white dude 50 years ago? 

Middle class white dude might have a point about wealth inequity hitting the middle class harder than 50 years ago, a decline in purchasing power compared to wages, the much higher cost of health care, and the increase in severe climate events. You may not "know" if things were better 50 years ago, but chances are you remember your parents and your youth offering more safety and simplicity. That's often a function of being younger, not the changing times themselves. And, of course, being a middle class white dude. 

But you may want to ask women, minorities and gays if they'd like to return to life in 1972. It's a big reason for the gap between Republicans and Democrats on this. 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1
15 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Middle class white dude might have a point about wealth inequity hitting the middle class harder than 50 years ago, a decline in purchasing power compared to wages, the much higher cost of health care, and the increase in severe climate events. You may not "know" if things were better 50 years ago, but chances are you remember your parents and your youth offering more safety and simplicity. That's often a function of being younger, not the changing times themselves. And, of course, being a middle class white dude. 

But you may want to ask women, minorities and gays if they'd like to return to life in 1972. It's a big reason for the gap between Republicans and Democrats on this. 

There's a lot more to life than just that that would make life better (or at least not worse) than 50 years ago.

19 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think this is a lot of it, but also, of the people who could compare today with 50 years ago, the majority of us were kids or at least young adults. Back then life was easier because, as a kid, you didn't have to pay bills, make your mortgage payment, or generally deal with all of the things life throws at you as an adult. I would love to go back to having not one, but two generations of family above me, taking care of everything and doing all the worrying things that are my responsibility now. I don't have that anymore and some of this stuff kinda sucks to deal with. 

It's why we've been bombarded by Boomers with memories of the 1950s, and why so much of today's Christmas music is from that era. Of course it was a better time for them - mom and dad took care of everything. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I think this is a lot of it, but also, of the people who could compare today with 50 years ago, the majority of us were kids or at least young adults. Back then life was easier because, as a kid, you didn't have to pay bills, make your mortgage payment, or generally deal with all of the things life throws at you as an adult. I would love to go back to having not one, but two generations of family above me, taking care of everything and doing all the worrying things that are my responsibility now. I don't have that anymore and some of this stuff kinda sucks to deal with. 

It's why we've been bombarded by Boomers with memories of the 1950s, and why so much of today's Christmas music is from that era. Of course it was a better time for them - mom and dad took care of everything. 

I was 5 years old in 1972.  Life was friggen awesome.  I was getting ready to go to kindergarten and y buddies and I would hang out at the pool all summer.  And....I was starting to get to the age where the HS female lifeguards, for some reason, interested me.

My parents?  In 1972, my father was managing the company and was starting to get into some horrible economic times for the industry.  He was miserable.  Interest rates were around 7-8% and headed up.  Not a fun time.

• Plus1 1
21 hours ago, knapplc said:

And could do it with only one parent in the workforce! What a time. I wonder which generation is at fault for ending the strengths of that incredible era? 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

And could do it with only one parent in the workforce! What a time. I wonder which generation is at fault for ending the strengths of that incredible era? 

Ray-gun

• Plus1 1