Just normal American Utopia...

OK, this has been on my mind since Saturday.

I went to my son's UNL graduation in memorial stadium.  We get there early enough that we get right under the balcony in the shade.  The guy beside me has two spots saved in front of him.  There are plenty of other seats around.

This jacka$$ with his wife and three kids, come in and sit right in front of us where the guy has the two spots saved.  When he politely tells the guy, he has the spots saved, the jacka$$ turns around and says, "It's open seating and I don't give a s#!t."  This idiot was the typical jacka$$ that's 50+ years old, has clearly had multiple plastic surgeries and died his hair a precious orange brown.  While I finally told the guy he's a total a$$, his two daughters clearly wished they would have been somewhere else.

I just wonder sometimes, what goes through people's heads that make them think they just are king s#!t and they don't need to care about anyone else around them?

• Plus1 2

Note - this article 

Do we have a thread discussing congress' stock shenanigans? This is actually a "both sides" issue. 

Congress should not be allowed to profit from their insider knowledge. I think a majority of voters, no matter their political affiliation, would agree with that. And yet we have this:

Members of Congress Who Beat $SPY in 2021

Congressman Austin Scott is catching the eyes of investors today following a report on how well politicians’ stocks did compared to SPDR S&P 500 ETF Trust (NYSEARCA:SPY) in 2021.

The list highlights 35 members of Congress that outpaced SPY last year with Austin Scott leading it with his stocks. The Congressman represents Georgia’s 8th congressional district and has been doing so since 2011.

Of the 35 members of Congress on the list, 19 of them are Democrats and 16 of them are Republicans. While not as many Republicans beat out SPY last year, they make up for it with the top five performers all being from the conservative party.

Unusual Whales, the account behind the Austin Scott stocks trend, calls out trades made by politicians in 2021 as unusually timed.

“Big legislative events (such as the Infrastructure Bill getting passed by the Senate) were often preceded by politicians trading in the sectors affected. There were tons of unusual trades where politicians made millions of dollars.”

It’ll be interesting to see how investors react to this list in the coming year. Some may take to following politicians, such as Austin Scott or Nancy Pelosi, when picking stocks to invest in considering how many beat out SPY last year.

This article stems from a tweet by unusual_whales on the twitter, an account that follows the markets. 

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Note - this article 

Do we have a thread discussing congress' stock shenanigans? This is actually a "both sides" issue. 

Congress should not be allowed to profit from their insider knowledge. I think a majority of voters, no matter their political affiliation, would agree with that. And yet we have this:

Members of Congress Who Beat $SPY in 2021

Congressman Austin Scott is catching the eyes of investors today following a report on how well politicians’ stocks did compared to SPDR S&P 500 ETF Trust (NYSEARCA:SPY) in 2021.

The list highlights 35 members of Congress that outpaced SPY last year with Austin Scott leading it with his stocks. The Congressman represents Georgia’s 8th congressional district and has been doing so since 2011.

Of the 35 members of Congress on the list, 19 of them are Democrats and 16 of them are Republicans. While not as many Republicans beat out SPY last year, they make up for it with the top five performers all being from the conservative party.

Unusual Whales, the account behind the Austin Scott stocks trend, calls out trades made by politicians in 2021 as unusually timed.

“Big legislative events (such as the Infrastructure Bill getting passed by the Senate) were often preceded by politicians trading in the sectors affected. There were tons of unusual trades where politicians made millions of dollars.”

It’ll be interesting to see how investors react to this list in the coming year. Some may take to following politicians, such as Austin Scott or Nancy Pelosi, when picking stocks to invest in considering how many beat out SPY last year.

This article stems from a tweet by unusual_whales on the twitter, an account that follows the markets. 

I think in the normal world that would be called insider trading.   It is amazing how many congress people go in as 'average Joes' or 'average Janes' and come out as multi-millionaires.   Nice gig if you can get it.  

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I think in the normal world that would be called insider trading.   It is amazing how many congress people go in as 'average Joes' or 'average Janes' and come out as multi-millionaires.   Nice gig if you can get it.  

How many actually come in as "average Jane's and Joe's" anymore?  It always seems like the people getting elected are pretty well connected in business circles already.

• Plus1 2

I have seen this type of behavior all the time the past twelve years of watching kids playing competitive baseball and it’s a shame.   Clay Travis is absolutely wrong here and it’s why there is a shortage of umpires at the lower levels.  

https://www.mediaite.com/sports/screw-you-dude-youre-a-loser-clay-travis-goes-off-on-his-11-year-old-sons-little-league-umpire-after-getting-tossed-from-game/

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

I have seen this type of behavior all the time the past twelve years of watching kids playing competitive baseball and it’s a shame.   Clay Travis is absolutely wrong here and it’s why there is a shortage of umpires at the lower levels.  

https://www.mediaite.com/sports/screw-you-dude-youre-a-loser-clay-travis-goes-off-on-his-11-year-old-sons-little-league-umpire-after-getting-tossed-from-game/

Yes, and that creates a shortage all the way up because that’s where they start. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, and that creates a shortage all the way up because that’s where they start. 

He sucks...

My friend used to ump for that age...when parents got stupid he did one of two things..

1.  Toss the parent and refuse to ump until the parent was gone.

2.  Never call a strike for that team again for the rest of the game.  (It was funny)

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

He sucks...

My friend used to ump for that age...when parents got stupid he did one of two things..

1.  Toss the parent and refuse to ump until the parent was gone.

2.  Never call a strike for that team again for the rest of the game.  (It was funny)

I agree with #1.  I don’t agree with #2 because all that does is punish the kids for a dads or coaches actions 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I agree with #1.  I don’t agree with #2 because all that does is punish the kids for a dads or coaches actions 

Well, it is not ALL it does...it also punishes the a$$h@!e parents.

In the end...it is a little league game...parents need to shut the f#&% up

• Plus1 2
Just now, teachercd said:

Well, it is not ALL it does...it also punishes the a$$h@!e parents.

In the end...it is a little league game...parents need to shut the f#&% up

I agree about the parents.   But umpires need to call a fair game regardless.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1