Just normal American Utopia...

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

That’s the copyright law….they had to wait 35 years to get to copyright back.  Didn’t you read your own article 

Yes, I read it.  Why did they wait till the movie is out and in theaters?  This movie has been in the making for a very long time.

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, I read it.  Why did they wait till the movie is out and in theaters?  This movie has been in the making for a very long time.

The article you posted answers your own question and says they exercised their right in 2018.  See below…..
We don’t know what communication they had with the studio between 2018 and 2022 when the movie came out.  But I don’t doubt they are trying to get in on the revenue stream.   

“Shosh and Yuval Yonay – the widow and son of Ehud Yonay – say they exercised their right to recover the copyright to the story in 2018 and that it took effect in 2020. Paramount did not reacquire the film rights before releasing Top Gun: Maverick, the plaintiffs say.”

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

The article you posted answers your own question and says they exercised their right in 2018.  See below…..
We don’t know what communication they had with the studio between 2018 and 2022 when the movie came out.  But I don’t doubt they are trying to get in on the revenue stream.   

“Shosh and Yuval Yonay – the widow and son of Ehud Yonay – say they exercised their right to recover the copyright to the story in 2018 and that it took effect in 2020. Paramount did not reacquire the film rights before releasing Top Gun: Maverick, the plaintiffs say.”

So, the lawsuit could have been filed in 2020.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, the lawsuit could have been filed in 2020.

I do t know the legality of copyright laws, but do people immediately go to lawsuit mode or so they spend time trying to get the situation resolved through negotiation and use lawsuit when that falls through?   

I have no idea what discussions took place.   I’m just responding to your faceplant emoji and point you stated about it being 40 yrs later.  There is a reason for that.  

And yes, they are out for money.   That isn’t in dispute by either of us. 

• Plus1 1

• 2 weeks later...