The OWH Editorial Board.....endorses a 5th year for Frost?

Cdog923

5 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

From the executive editor of the OWH itself: 

FWIW I kind of agree with Randy here. I don't think it's that relevant if they did or didn't weigh in on previous head coaching positions. The ed board has weighed in on non-political issues in the past, quite frequently in fact. And a Nebraska coach on the hot seat is always one of the biggest in-state stories.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

A coach by any other name: OWH would be calling for their firing.   I just don't understand the rational behind keeping a well below .400 coach - just because he keeps the games close.  I guess losing small and often isn't as embarrassing as losing big even if you win most of your games as Bo did.  

He's a Nebraska native and former Nebraska player. That's why a lot of husker fans don't want to move on from him.

10 minutes ago, Enhance said:

FWIW I kind of agree with Randy here. I don't think it's that relevant if they did or didn't weigh in on previous head coaching positions. The ed board has weighed in on non-political issues in the past, quite frequently in fact. And a Nebraska coach on the hot seat is always one of the biggest in-state stories.

Heady pretty much hit it on the head(y) for me with his response. 

That, and they've got me agreeing with Lee freaking Barfknect of all people. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

I've seen a lot of people say he needs more time even IF he still has a losing record next year. You think people would still say that if he wasn't a Nebraska Native?

Of course they wouldn’t.   Not trying to be a prick, but it’s just that your point has been discussed ad nauseam already.  

I have no problem with Editorial Boards "taking a side" and offering their opinion, like a big city paper endorsing a presidential candidate. But at least put forth some reasonable facts and rationale for your opinion; that is lacking here, to put it very nicely.

We know well the arguments against keeping him, which start with a pitiful 15-27 record, no signature wins and repeated, infuriating mistakes. Something essential is missing — top football programs play with greater consistency, and if a head coach gets credit for wins and disciplined play, Frost cannot avoid blame for delivering the opposite deep into his fourth season.

• Bill and Mike were much more successful but "the critical difference, in our view, is that Frost genuinely knows and feels Husker fans’ pain."
    • DAFUQ!?! That's your leading basis to keep Scott Frost!?! Yeesh.
  • ...playing within 10 points of four top 10 teams represents marked progress."
    • This seems to be their only quantifiable support. Four losses of less than 10 points, needing to include +2 possession games to get tOSU loss in there.
  • Losses to perceived lesser teams indict the coach’s ability to have his team ready each week, but weekly Big Ten results show that the league is light on cupcakes and underscore the difficulty of the Huskers’ schedule this year.
    • He has innumerable posses to lesser teams and zero good wins.
  • "In addition, the obvious brotherhood and on-field performance of the Blackshirts is deeply heartening, It brings back memories of the Husker pride and spirit of better times and demonstrates the player-centric committed culture Frost has sought. That culture is sustainable from year to year as new players come in and this year’s younger guys step into leadership roles."
    • Is there anything to support this, other than coach speak (when you ignore throwing players under the bus and backing it up)?
  • "As a quick aside, that leadership will serve these players throughout life off the field."
    • WHAT!?! Keep looking the other way, OWH.

This body of support that an entire Editorial Board could find to keep Scott Frost is more telling than their conclusion. 

• Fire 1

22 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Their logic hurts my brain.

What stupid logic.  So Frost, the inflictor of the paid is to stay on because he  feels the pain we feel as Husker fans an he is allowed to continue giving the pain.

What a dysfunctional co-dependent and illogical take by the OWH editorial board.    What an abusive relationship. 

27 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Even Bill Callahan and Mike Riley had better records and bigger wins than our native son, national championship quarterback has been able to deliver.

But the critical difference, in our view, is that Frost genuinely knows and feels Husker fans’ pain. We are confident he cares as much as any of us and hurts as much or more than any of us. Callahan, Riley and, in all probability, whomever could be hired to replace Frost lack that intangible.

I tell you what, I am willing to give up that intangible for the sake of obtaining a winning coach and record.   OWH has just accepted that NU should be the conference doormat.  What a pathetic stance.    A coach is hired to win game not be feel our pain.  

If Frost really feels our pain and wants to do something about it he would resign today.  Kick the abuser out of the stadium and let the healing begin. 

I feel your pain man GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Heady pretty much hit it on the head(y) for me with his response. 

That, and they've got me agreeing with Lee freaking Barfknect of all people. 

I agree with Chris' take on why the op ed was bad, but he's also arguing against the use of op eds in general and obfuscating the two. I think they're different discussions.

The op ed is garbage, but that's what the op ed board does.

If it were up to me, I'd do away with op ed boards entirely. I think they're an outdated concept.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1