Frost is returning for 2022

knapplc

10 minutes ago, Farms said:

This is why only Frost gets another year in this situation when nobody else would. This means something to him and he will try and do whatever it takes to turn this around. 98% of coaches would never agree to that deal. 

Hey, if anyone wants to pay me ONLY $4 million to suck at my job, I'm all ears.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Yeah and frankly Nebraska is kicking the can down the road. Frost is going to be here for another year or two before inevitably getting fired. He's not the guy. 

But Trev doesn't have the stones to fire a guy when half the fan base wants Scott Frost to succeed despite extremely overwhelming evidence that he's in over his head. 

Trev is playing chess.  I think it’s the best move he could have made.

• Plus1 4

How is a 15-27 (2 of the wins against FCS schools) regime better than the 19-19 regime that it replaced?  I realize bringing Frost back is about fixing the foolish contract he was given initially after only 2 seasons as a Mid Major H.C. with a team he did not recruit but inherited.   Numbingly Scott is going to need 4 and part of a 5th season to pass a  "Mr. Coaching Average" Riley's 3 season mark on the all time Husker coaching wins list, can someone explain Trev's Quality Loss Index (QLI) where he sees progress that takes 40% more seasons to achieve the win count of the regime that was the average?   Better water down the preseason schedule for 2022 ....  

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Trev is playing chess.  I think it’s the best move he could have made.

I'd bet my left arm the buyout played a significant part in this and Trev essentially gave the Scott an ultimatum:

Win the games you keep swearing you're just about to win next year or you'll use this exit ramp I just installed.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Yeah and frankly Nebraska is kicking the can down the road. Frost is going to be here for another year or two before inevitably getting fired. He's not the guy. 

But Trev doesn't have the stones to fire a guy when half the fan base wants Scott Frost to succeed despite extremely overwhelming evidence that he's in over his head. 

I would have to say that I agree it does feel like we’re delaying the likely inevitable. When you start cleaning house on assistants and changing schemes it seems unlikely to work out. I still think Trev was caught of guard by how things transpired here in the heart of the season going winless against Minni and Purdue and how that effected his decision. You can bet your a$$ though he’ll be working on a short list in his spare tine. 

I was on the Fire Frost train pretty much after losing to Illinois but further reinforced after losing to Purdue, but if he was to stay, I wanted to see several things (2 of which have already been done):

1. Restructured contract to make room for a sexy assistant salary pool

2. Fire Greg Austin, Mario Verduzco, and Matt Lubick (I can see why they got rid of Held too but was kinda surprised)

3. Hire a special teams coach full time (yet to be seen but there's no way he doesn't AGAIN right?)

4. Hire a new offensive staff that has elite recruiting prowess and give full control of the offense to the new OC

I will wait to see who Frost chooses to hire and reserve my judgement on whether this is the right or wrong move by Trev Alberts, but so far I am liking it. The two times Frost has hired an outsider (or kept a coach not part of his circle), was Sean Beckton at UCF (excellent coach as we have seen), and Tony Tuioti DL Coach (seems to be doing a solid job). Gives me at least a little bit of optimism that he will get the right guys in the building this time since he has no more buddies really to try and hire lol.

Also, to all the people talking about the people wanting Chins fired, I am glad to say I went to bat for that man many times over the first 3 years of his tenure here on twitter, reddit, on this board etc. It at least makes me a bit more confident I might have a decent judgement on coaches but who really knows tbh.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, BoNeyard said:

So now with Frost bringing in an entirely new staff, if he meets the required amount of wins next season, whatever that may be, he is going to seal the deal for an additional 3 years. 

Alberts is giving Frost something very rare in this business, a second chance. If Frost hits a home run with his hires and wins games next year to get us bowling and maybe at least in the conversation of a Big Ten West title in the later parts of October, Frost will have a rebirth as Nebraska’s head coach. I don’t mind this second chance at all.

i agree.  having someone stay in lincoln after becoming successful is also something to consider.  i think that has as much to do with giving frost a second chance as anything else.

It will be interesting who, and what you will need to pay them, to come aboard this sinking ship. To say that the assistants were to blame for this debacle is just crazy. Didn't these people answer to Frost?  

Next year the new coaching staff will be used an an excuse for not winning games, even with the easy schedule next year. Instead of this move, they either should have kept them all for another year, or fired them all. Is it really the fault of the Assistants?  

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Congrats to both Frost and Alberts. It demonstrates Scott accepts that it's necessary to make changes and is willing to do what is required to put games in the win column. And, Trev for exercising creativity to work through it.

I'm anticipating that there will be considerable adjustments to the offensive scheme. The overall philosophy with the alternate coaches will reflect a more effective means of execution. It just wasn't working well enough. 

The main reservation I had was Scott's reluctance for adaptation. One have to ask oneself what is getting in the way of being successful and do away with it. He can keep many of things he's done and use his creativeness to put together something that works much better here in the Big 10. It's a good start anyway. Trev Alberts is doing everything he can to help make success possible. If Scott does likewise, that's good. Real good. 

I'm cautiously optimistic, even a little excited! 

39 minutes ago, Farms said:

I would have to say that I agree it does feel like we’re delaying the likely inevitable. When you start cleaning house on assistants and changing schemes it seems unlikely to work out. I still think Trev was caught of guard by how things transpired here in the heart of the season going winless against Minni and Purdue and how that effected his decision. You can bet your a$$ though he’ll be working on a short list in his spare tine. 

According to PFF, the majority of our OL scored less than 40% in pass blocking.  Get a play caller here who knows how to run power football and we look like world beaters with the team we have.  Get a guy who can actually spot and develop RB talent and we lok like world beaters.  Get a WR coach who can teach a guy with all the raw talent of Betts to run a correct route and we look like world beaters.  I have not been a fan of the offensive staff since 2019.  Nor of Frost as a play caller, probably during 2018......

The statistical probability if a 4 year losing coach to have measurable success is probably less than a coach going 5-18 in one score games, BUT I have not seen if these coaches kept their staffs' into year 4 or if they changed things up.  Again, Frost was an issue for sure.  But the brain trust he assembled as his offensive staff might be one of the worst in FBS....Year 4 and no returning RB, WR, back up QB etc.......ridiculous.